The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2003, 07:37 AM   #1
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

rotory tools

I am looking at dremels website right know. I was just wondering if anyone has any expeirece or gripes about this brand or recommend any other brand.
Thanks

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 10:43 AM   #2
tom hand
CCRider

Depends on what you want to do with it. Dremel is "the brand" for that kind of tool, but it is a light duty "arts and crafts" type tool. If your wanting to do anything heavy duty...like port heads...an air operated die grinder is the way to go
Old 12-01-2003, 10:47 AM   #3
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

It will be more for removing rust on small things and other artsie things.

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 11:01 AM   #4
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

A little tinny tiny rust, they will work great. Get the one with the most speed settings.....
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 11:16 AM   #5
70ChevyLongbed
Howzit?!?

Wes,

I bought my Dremel in 1988, have used it for practically everything. I think they are great. Unfortunately it died on me about a month ago, the motor still runs but the tool doesn't spin. I figure I got my 15 years worth I am moving to all air now though.

70 Longbed, 307, Edelbrock Carb 1404, Edelbrock Intake 2101, Dual Roller Timing chain and gears, 214/214 cam, Comp Roller Rockers, dual Flowmasters.
1999 Chevy Tahoe
2004 Mini Cooper S
71 BMW 2002 - Sold
70ChevyLongbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 12:14 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Let me tell you that i love my dremel.i have had two i messed up the first one and i bought the next one. there isnt a thing you cant do with this tool. i use the cut off wheels to cut through anything including to make a big score in the frame rivets on our trucks, cut off bolts cut through rusted rounded nuts on the bed hell i used the first one to craft my sons pinewood derby car between the barrel sander and the cut off wheels i cant say enough about them tools
just dont lose the little wrench they are so hard to replace

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:39 PM   #7
krazy_texan

the only gripe i have about them is with the cordless ones other than that i love them and cant say enough, i use mine to build custom model kits since i cant afford real ones,lol
but i use them for everything and i have most of the attachments, i have the router table, the flex shaft, chain saw sharpener and the list goes on i have about 600 invested in my dremel and have 3 different tools
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:04 AM   #8
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by 70ChevyLongbed
Unfortunately it died on me about a month ago, the motor still runs but the tool doesn't spin
Your "flexy shaft" wore out. It's a plastic tube that connects the motor shaft to the chuck. It's replaceable.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 05:20 PM   #9
70ChevyLongbed
Howzit?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy70C-10
Your "flexy shaft" wore out. It's a plastic tube that connects the motor shaft to the chuck. It's replaceable.
Sorry this is a month old, but I'll have to look into it... the Wife got me a new one for Christmas, so I might have two!

70 Longbed, 307, Edelbrock Carb 1404, Edelbrock Intake 2101, Dual Roller Timing chain and gears, 214/214 cam, Comp Roller Rockers, dual Flowmasters.
1999 Chevy Tahoe
2004 Mini Cooper S
71 BMW 2002 - Sold
70ChevyLongbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 06:26 PM   #10
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I have a cordless one and a corded one. I prefer the corded one.

Having worked in a machine shop, I can tell you that in using a 25,000RPM electric tool, you get to eat a bunch of metal. That stuff looks like pepper in your mouth. I know, because I chewed gum and the metal particle would stick in the gum. Best to keep your mouth shut and use a dust mask when you're a-grindin'.

The shop I worked at would not issue dust masks. They kept ONE hanging by the buffer. It was a cheap version, that used gauze in an aluminum retainer. If you wanted to use a dust mask, it was there for you. Oh, you couldn't wear an apron, either. It might get caught in the buffer wheel. But, you could use a 4,500RPM die grinder, with a worn-down Carborundum grinding wheel, and no guard, without having to do a "ring check". When I asked, the boss said, "What ring check? Those wheels don't blow up!" So, two weeks later, a lady was working on some big valve bodies for the Alyeska Oil Pipeline job we were doing, and as the wheel cleared the back side of the body, it disintegrated....looked like someone took a 50-cal machine gun to the concrete walls in there. Oh, and don't ask for ear plugs, either, unless you get 'em from the welding shop foreman on A-shift. Othewise, you did with out. No safety toed shoes. No dust masks. No safety goggles. No problems with OSHA. The federal gummint wanted those valves done so the Alaskan Oil Pipeline could be put into use. There were no OSHA laws that would be enforced. Since we were in the midst of a recession (almost said depression), jobs were scarce.

That employer had broken a machinists union in Tulsa, before moving to Little Rock, in 1962. Any mention of unions was dealt with by the management who walked and talked very gingerly around the subject without ever saying anything that could get them in trouble with the NLRB. As a laid-off Steelworker, I had to have a job and they needed a body. They let me go after my 90 day probationary period was up, because I was a "troublemaker".

I felt sorry for those who had no choice but to work in that environment. If they couldn't tell they were being sacrificed for the sake of profit, there was nothing I could do to convince them that their safety environment was non-existant.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 08:17 PM   #11
78chevstepside

I think dremel tool works great for model airplanes or arts and crafts. For any type of metal work air tools are the way to go.
Attached Images

78chevstepside is offline   Reply With Quote