The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
66 C10 383

Drop Coil Springs

I'm looking to buy some drop springs for my 66 C10 with a SBC. This will be a daily driven truck so I don't want the stiffest spring but not the softest either. I'll be adding a 2.5" drop spindle so somewhere in the 1" - 1.5" for the front and probably 2" rear with 2" drop blocks rear.

I can do the Moog #6102 with a 1/2 coil cut for about a 1.5" drop. This coil starts out at 1015 lbs/in then with the cut coil, is this going to be too harsh for daily usage?

What about starting with a Moog #6542 842 lbs/in and cutting .5 to 1 full coil?

I've also heard the ECE drop coils are nice springs.

For the rear, I'd like to still be able to haul small loads but nothing major. That's the main reason for the block/spring combo rather than just a full drop rear spring.

It's hard to judge differant springs without knowing the rates. Any springs you guys really like/dislike?

Also, if I run the 73-87 drop spindles with the 73-87 a-arms and use my stock 66 front crossmember, should I get the springs for a 66 or the 73-87?

Thoughts and opinions are needed. Thanks

Doug

Last edited by 66 C10 383; 05-21-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: added content
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
Square_78

Re: Drop Coil Springs

First if all. Are your factory springs sagged at all? If they are sagged 1" for example and you replace them with a 1" lowering spring, you will be at the same height. I would do the drop spindle and if needed cut 1/2 or 1 full coil off your stock springs. 1 coil is 2" drop. If you are switching to newer control arms then I guess you would order the springs for that control arm. I always assumed they were the same springs from 60 whatever to 1987. You'll prob end up trimming the springs anyways to fine tune your drop so you may as well just cut the stock ones and see how you like it. For the rear, as long as you don't install Jeep springs or car springs like some people do I'm sure you will be fine. You can always add air shocks if you need more carrying capacity. Your truck also may or may not have factory overload springs that will need to be removed.
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
66 C10 383

Thanks for the reply Square_78. I really have no idea how much the fronts have sagged but I'm sure they have. Truck currently has 6 cyl 1/2 ton springs and I thought about just replacing everything with new for another 50 years of service That's mainly the reason I was thinking of only going with 1.5" springs, if it's not low enough I could trim a bit more off. Since it's going to be a driver and I get 2" drop springs and it's too low, then I'm buying new springs again. The springs may be the same, but according to Summit website they list some as 63- 74 and some as mid 70's to about 87. Some have the same numbers and some don't.

For the rear I know I don't want the Jeep springs as I've read they don't have much load carrying ability. Others have mentioned using the 4" CPP HD drop springs. I figured if I only used a 2" drop spring with a 2" block, that I'd have more suspension travel with the blocks rather than losing a full 4" with just the springs. I dunno ...
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
tmc1986

i was kind of in this position a few weeks ago. i wanted to put a 4/6 drop. i came to the conclusion that for $100 i could get brand new coils atwhatever height i needed and i didnt have to cut anything and i got rid of old coils that have who knows how many miles on them. now i got new 6in drop coils for the back and 2in drop coils in the front with 2.5in drop spindles. all i did was pull the old ones out and put new ones in, simple, plus now i know i have good reliable suspension to sit on for the next decade or more. i know its cheaper to just cut the coils, but if you're using this as a DD than that means you're going to be putting more miles on it than a hobby truck for example. might as well spen a few extra dollars and put new coils. just my opinion. good luck