The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2019, 09:55 PM   #1
MiraclePieCo

Glove box installation help

Anyone give me advice on installing a reproduction glove box? I've pushed, stretched, and hammered but I can't get this thing to fit or any of the screw holes to align. Almost like it's too small for the opening. Sucks to be outwitted by a piece of cardboard. What am I doing wrong?
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: Glove box installation help

I don't know the difference, but there are two different glove boxes for those dashes. It changed round 1950 or something, not sure. But do you have the right one?

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:54 AM   #3
jweb

Yours looks a little different from what I used. Here’s a link to the one I put in

https://www.fillingstation.com/detai...OX_INSERT.html
Posted via Mobile Device
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:08 AM   #4
mr48chev

I put one in my 48 in the mid 70's and the only thing I can remember about it is that I had quit a fight with it.

Looking at this I think you have a 47/49 glove box rather than a 50/53.
https://www.classicparts.com/Glove-Box/products/836/

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:35 AM   #5
65blackfleetside

Like most of the repop parts its usually a wrestling match to get them to fit correctly. I have 2 of those new cardboard glovebox inserts for my 1951 dash. Being that i have aftermarket AC equip I am going to have to deconstruct it shorten up the depth and reassemble. Thats why I bought 2. Maybe that should be a new rule with any repop part?? : Buy 2 because you will probably need to destroy the first one before you can figure out how to make it fit correctly.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65blackfleetside View Post
Like most of the repop parts its usually a wrestling match to get them to fit correctly. I have 2 of those new cardboard glovebox inserts for my 1951 dash. Being that i have aftermarket AC equip I am going to have to deconstruct it shorten up the depth and reassemble. Thats why I bought 2. Maybe that should be a new rule with any repop part?? : Buy 2 because you will probably need to destroy the first one before you can figure out how to make it fit correctly.
You have maybe seen my friends quote on reproduction parts before. He was restoring a 65 Corvette in my shop. He opened a box he had gotten in the mail and trail fit the part and said.

"If they wanted to be honest in the catalog instead of saying Exactly like original they would say Similar to original, can be used if nothing else is available."

Nothing more profound than that! Yep, getting two to make it fit is a good way to look at it. I remember when I restored my 65 Buick Gran Sport I accidentally got two sets of inner window belt line seals. They were two different brands, both saying the same thing for use on them 64-65 A body Convertible (A body= Chevelle, Skylark, Tempast, Cutless) yet they were TOTALLY DIFFERENT in their mounting and NONE of them fit right on! I had to modify the best set and toss the others in the trash!

Yep, my buddy had the right idea of how to look at reproduction parts for sure.

That all being said, I put the glove box I have in my cab and it looked like it would fit fine.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
MiraclePieCo

I suspect that I have a early style glove box insert but I'm trying to install it like the later style. I'm learning that one goes inside the opening secured by a trim piece, and the other goes outside the opening, secured by clip nuts.