The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
jasnake65

wiper keeps blowing fuse

Have a 1960 with American Autowire kit installed less then a month ago, 100% all new wiring. Ran it in the garage and the wiper worked great. Used it over the weekend and started to down pour outside, turned on the wipers and they lasted like 1 min then the fuse blew. Got home and installed a new fuse and it blows(using a 10amp then a 25amp---S style fuse, no bulbs)
Unhook the motor and turn on the key, its good, unhook the switch and motor is hooked up and turn the key on and blows. Took a meter to the motor wires as soon as I ground the meter it goes blank, take off ground and reads back to zero.
jasnake65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:01 AM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: wiper keeps blowing fuse

The power feed wire (from the fuse) runs directly to the motor and is live whenever the key is on. The wiper switch is on the ground side of the circuit and completes the path to ground to operate the motor.

The fact that unplugging the feed wire from the motor keeps the fuse from blowing seems to point toward a problem with the motor. Like it has developed an internal short to ground.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
Kudzupatch

You may know this but be careful of putting in larger fuses. Fuses protect the wire, not the wiper motor. Fuse is sized to the wire, it prevents it drawing to much electricity and melting, possibly causing a fire.

And I am with Ray, I think you have a shorted out motor.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #4
jasnake65

I was hoping it would work long enough to get my wipers back to the bottom of the windshield, right now they are all the way open. Have to disconnect the motor to bring them back to normal. Looking at this looks like I have to take off the wipers and the grill to unbolt it from the truck
jasnake65 is offline   Reply With Quote