The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Sillyoldman

It's not always good to be the good guy

A couple of weeks ago a co-worker approached me and proceeded to tell me how he needed a trailer hitch on his S-10 Blazer. His concern was that he'd not be able to install it himself and that he did not have a place to actually do the work. He confided in me after he had caught wind that I had gotten another co-workers 1969 C-10 truck running after it had broke down. The truth is, is that I usually help those that need it so I invited him to bring his Blazer over and we'd install the receiver. I really had no reason to dislike the guy but something held me back from doing so but what the heck I'll lend a hand. As planned he came over at 0930 Saturday morning with his receiver. We (I) tore into installing his Bolt On kit. Hours into the project my wife came out to the shop to introduce herself and ask what he was planning on towing. He told her that he had no plans on towing anything but a truck should have a hitch. OK I suppose after having a moment I could accept that. As it turns out the kit was very far from being bolt on. After nine hours with no help other than useless advice I completed the installation. Well come Monday morning I see this guy at work As he approached I expected a big "Thank you". Unfortunately he told be that he decided that he really did not need a trailer hitch and has decided to return it for a refund. At that point I was having an out of body experience and all I could thing about was my hands around his neck. He stated "I don't know how I'm going to remove it" kind of implying that he come back another weekend so I can remove it for him. I told him to pull the bolts and gravity will take over. I'm a bit pissed off over this. I suppose when you give someone the benefit of the doubt you really need to scrutinize them first.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 03-11-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
meatwagon83

Re: It's not always good to be the good guy

you just cant help some people, i would have told him to come back and i would take it off for him, then when he came back weld the sucker on and tell him i couldnt get it off!!
meatwagon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon83 View Post
you just cant help some people, i would have told him to come back and i would take it off for him, then when he came back weld the sucker on and tell him i couldnt get it off!!
Now that's funny. I told a customer about this and he suggested the same thing. I figured that I should also weld a 2 5/16" ball on it too just to make sure he would not be able to to anything within his weight capacity.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Take it off for him. Scratch the ever loving piss out of it on the pavement... they won't take it back

Seriously though? This is why I HIDE the fact that I'm good with cars. I can't tell you how many "hey, my aunts car is acting up, could you look at it?" I've turned down. I'm not trying to be an unsocial ass, but I've been in the situation way too many times before where no $ was expected, but at least a thank you was. I also have more projects than I can handle and NO ONE IS EVER AROUND WHEN I NEED SOMETHING. EVER. There was another time where I did a "could you help my friend" and I told them YOUR HEAD GASKET IS SHOT, YOU HAVE TO GET IT REPLACED IMMEDIATELY before you warp the heads or blow the engine. I filled up their radiator with just water, because we were in the middle of no where, so they could drive it home. Few days later their engine blew, they actually tried to tell me it was because of the water I added to the radiator. I told them to piss off. I think that's the last time I've helped anyone that wasn't immediate family or a very close friend.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
BMERDOC

You're a better man than me.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
fine69

I dont offer my help for free anymore to anyone other than a GREAT friend. My free time is much too valuable to waste on a douche who can't help himself.
In fact i never even offer to work on other peoples things even if they want to pay. They never want to pay what its worth.
Saves me lots of headaches.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I was talking to a customer today and we were joking about how no good deed goes unpunished. He told me the story of how his father, brother and him saw someone in need of help along the road, flat tire. His dad told them here is a chance to do our good deed for the day.

Turned in to a nightmare, but in the end they finally got the guy on the road again. Later that day while they were off riding their dirt bikes both he and his brother crashed in to each other and hurt their legs pretty good.

They were grousing about all their bad luck that weekend and their dad said maybe if we wouldn't have stopped and helped that fella you guys would have crashed and hurt your heads instead ... I guess it all depends on how you look at stuff.

Silly you did a nice thing for someone. In the end it didn't turn out like you would have hoped. But you still did a nice thing for someone.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
LEEVON

I hear you. I've always been a compassionate type, so I've got a couple of these stories too.

Family at church, brainy mom and dad with two left thumbs. Had a leak in their roof, I drove across town and inspected it. Went to the store and bought some minor supplies another day, and returned and did the repairs yet another evening (away from my family, after a 14-15 hour work day). They were thankful.

A couple of weeks later they asked me to come look at the car. I stopped by and it was apparent that there was a blown head gasket. Dad insisted that we change the oil and coolant so he could get back and forth to work for at least a day or two. I took him to the store, purchased the supplies ($60 or so?) and returned to do the job. Again, time away from my family after a long day. I jacked the car up and handed the filter wrench to him. His son is standing there, maybe 16 years old and completely able. I figured it would be a good time to show them both how to do this. After a little coaxing neither of them wanted to crawl under the car. I drained the oil, and then directed them to the coolant drain. Still getting the "brook trout" look I started to get the picture. I asked if they were able to help, pretty much got a "NO". So I drained the coolant, packed up my tools and that's when the guy throws a fit like I'm being paid to do this for him! I SAID MY PIECE and went home. I don't get the mentality, but the harder part was him telling people at church that I had no heart and didn't care about people in need. I then realized what kind of people these were...they needed a lot more help than I could give them.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #9
vectorit
What?

Learned my lesson many years ago when I helped a "friend" get his elCamino running again. I spent tons of time rebuilding the engine, getting it all squared away and looking sweet. He came to pick it up with an attitude like I caused him all kinds of inconvenience in his life, and after a short discussion I told him to take his car and leave.

Never saw him again, and if I see him again it will be to soon.

That was back in the day where I took pleasure in working on other peoples stuff, and that night ruined it for anyone who wanted help from me to get them back on the road with more than an hours worth of my time.

These days I work in information technology, and I get the same "can ya help a brotha out". Sorry, that is all billable and I have to account for my time. Which equates to a helluva lot of money in my line of work.

Sorry you had to go through that, and you handled the situation a lot better than I would have in the end. Since I would have literally laughed out loud, and I know I would've said something sarcastic about how he should go about his "problem".
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #10
meter swinger

I tell everyone that asks me to work on thier stuff to bring a gallon of crown royal and ill work on thier car after ive polished off some crown and cokes. They look at me funny but thats as far as it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by meter swinger; 03-12-2013 at 12:52 AM. Reason: spelling
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #11
hopped up

Thats why im as butt!! Noone asks me for help anymore
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 03-12-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Keepin it FF.
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #12
Billett

I get the same once people learn I used to work at a computer store. Can't tell you how many times I've had people call me up out of the blue because a friend told them I could fix computers and then they proceed to tell me that "it just won't work", or "its really slow", and expect me to magically fix it over the phone like there's just some button to press. I help family members and close friends and that's about it. And when I do beg my Uncle to give me a hand at his shop I always pay, (or try to). He gives me a cheaper rate, but I'd rather keep paying him and know I'm getting quality work then have him disgruntled because he feels used. Actually funny you mentioned Crown because that's all he drinks haha. I get him a big bottle every year for xmas.
2012 JKU - Funkmaster Flex 2.5" BB, 33" A/Ts
2004 HCH - HYBRID POWAHH
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #13
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Good deeds are just that, nothing comes for nothing. You get what you expect and a dozen other statements that should tell you that you are a nut for helping the helpless. In today's world there seems to be a large contingent of people that will take and not give back, they do not know how and they expect someone to do it for them. There is ONLY ONE thng in this world that I have and that is my credibility and I keep it up with those that I trust and deal with.

Do not do another thing for blazer boy and if he whines, tell him that he is a user and he is getting what he deserves. He used you and will be back again if you relent to taking the hitch off of the truck. Only one with a special need will just buy a hitch, because a truck should have one. There is one too many lugn nuts in that truck.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
doubleb's69

I don't even do anything for family anymore. My sister ruined it for everyone.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
Billett

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Only one with a special need will just buy a hitch, because a truck should have one. There is one too many lugn nuts in that truck.
Sounds like there's a loose nut behind the wheel if you catch my drift...
2004 HCH - HYBRID POWAHH
Old 03-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #16
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

We all run into one person once in awhile who does not appreciate free help when ask for and is given ,glad there are more that do appreciate than do not..
On the lighter side Don,, could it be that darn graveled drive way causing people to just want to drive on it and ruin your nice spread job.. lol
Old 03-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
no moa

happens to me all the time, cause i'm a sucker to help people, most of the time i'm getting taken by my friends. I just stopped offering to help. Coarse most of my friends are car retards. So its funny to watch them work on stuff.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

"... and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

I fixed a basket case motorcycle not too long ago for a friend. Ran great. He had no problem selling it.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #19
1tonblaze

guess i can join the A hole club also . ex gf broke the crank in her mustang 5.0 i was the bad guy from day one since i told her it was broken . told her to take it to a local known machine shop that does very good work got told i was a ahole and her daddy would do it and the machine shop wanted to charge $1700 to do it all and would be ready to drop in and fully put together . her father did it costed her $3000 no new rod bolts and a crappy job all around . super tech put it in left half the stuff for the fuel injection unplugged wonderd why it wouldnt run . i ended up fixing it for him and correctting his issues he was having but the whole time i was being told i didnt know what i was talking about but i been the one working on cars since i been 13 and i am 30 so i know more then just changing oil i was a certified tech before my accident . yet to say me and her are not together . best thing is he lost half the bolts and blamed me but i never touched the car lol
1985 c20 chevy long bed , beater , on its way to a better place in pa from what the dmv told me
2010 kia forte koup 2.4 sx -over the river and threw the woods to the total lot it went .
1999 k1500 suburban 350 vortec 4l60e leather land yacht .
1tonblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #20
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonblaze View Post
guess i can join the A hole club also . ex gf broke the crank in her mustang 5.0 i was the bad guy from day one since i told her it was broken . told her to take it to a local known machine shop that does very good work got told i was a ahole and her daddy would do it and the machine shop wanted to charge $1700 to do it all and would be ready to drop in and fully put together . her father did it costed her $3000 no new rod bolts and a crappy job all around . super tech put it in left half the stuff for the fuel injection unplugged wonderd why it wouldnt run . i ended up fixing it for him and correctting his issues he was having but the whole time i was being told i didnt know what i was talking about but i been the one working on cars since i been 13 and i am 30 so i know more then just changing oil i was a certified tech before my accident . yet to say me and her are not together . best thing is he lost half the bolts and blamed me but i never touched the car lol
When the criticisim starts as I worked on it, that is when I would walk away and they can find a Mr. Fixit to save them for another $3000.00.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #21
wilkin250r

That's why I don't have friends. Too many people find that I'm good at fixing things, and then the relationship becomes very one-sided.

Oddly enough, I don't ask for much in return (at least, I don't THINK I do.) You're my friend, you don't have the cash to take it to a shop, you're in a bind. Sure, I'll spend my entire Saturday fixing your car.

Next Saturday, I'd like to ride motorcycles. You don't even have to buy one, I have an extra, I just want somebody to ride WITH. But it's too hot outside, you say. And you don't want to drive all the way out to my house to ride my motorcycles with me. Boy, aren't you just the best friend ever.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #22
Billett

If you ever find your way over to the east coast I'd be more than happy to ride with you. In fact I'm sure I could gather up several other people to come along as well. No extra bikes needed!
2004 HCH - HYBRID POWAHH
Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #23
BlazinC5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkin250r View Post
That's why I don't have friends. Too many people find that I'm good at fixing things, and then the relationship becomes very one-sided.

Oddly enough, I don't ask for much in return (at least, I don't THINK I do.) You're my friend, you don't have the cash to take it to a shop, you're in a bind. Sure, I'll spend my entire Saturday fixing your car.

Next Saturday, I'd like to ride motorcycles. You don't even have to buy one, I have an extra, I just want somebody to ride WITH. But it's too hot outside, you say. And you don't want to drive all the way out to my house to ride my motorcycles with me. Boy, aren't you just the best friend ever.
Jeeez, Do you know my former neighbor??? LOL We been friends for years and have helped him many times on his rigs and various other projects at his place. But the moment I needed him for something it was like trying to move a mountain to get him to come over. And then all he wanted to do was BS and not get anything done. Lets face it. He's a lazy, know nothing. The last straw was he decided to buy some POS motorhome that needed an engine. I told him what it was going to take and he scoffed at that and said "No Way it could cost that much". But he insisted I could do it cheaper than that. I'm like "who said I was going to do it anyhow." If I do I need $1000 for the labor. cause I have no time in the first place and you know I will do it rite, But, good luck finding someone else to do it cheaper. Never herd about that rig from him again. Guess I made my point.

My build, Restarted

05 Buell firebolt
94 1500 Z71
No rice for me,,, I'm full
BlazinC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

What is it with people who expect to be able to return anything they buy? It's used now and the business can't sell it for full price. I know this a-hole would sure never pay full price. The world ain't Walmart...yet! Decide if you want something BEFORE you buy it...JEEZ!

I would simply tell the guy I fought that install while he watched for 9 hours w/o even a thank you and I can't believe you have the nerve to even hint that maybe I could help you take it off. I'd also tell him the only reason he "can't" do things like this is because he "doesn't" do things like this. No one is born able to do much of anything...why did you stay that way?

I'll never let a lesser man make me a lesser man. I will learn and use more discretion,though. I help people and enjoy it. I will never stop. It feels too damn good and what goes around comes around,just not from that a-hole. But,someone you've never helped before may surprise you. That's how it works when people see you as worthy. This guy wasn't.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #25
hotstuff

Nope the dog and I are happy working on my stuff in the barn , it is rare that i help [not do] someone else out . Been burned to many times
hotstuff is offline   Reply With Quote