The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #1
tucker69

Lsx intake manifold options

Does anyone have a solution for an aftermarket intake manifold for the truck 6.0 ls LQ4 engine WITH CATHEDRAL PORT HEADS ... This is a cable driven throttlebody.. My research tells me that aftermarket intakes have several issues when used on a truck motor..
1) truck injectors are shorter/taller and will not work with aftermarket intakes
2) truck serpentine access. System will interfer with throttlebody because aftermarket intakes are lower than trucks
3) aftermarket intakes are for larger mm throttlebodys and hence need for bigger t/b.

So in a nut shell i have to buy: Car injectors, larger t/b and car access. Setup to run most aftermarket intakes on my truck ls engine

i did find that "fast" and "msd" both make a truck intake with only the need for larger t/b, however im not real excited about the looks of there $1000 intakes.

So my question for all you "ls" swappers is have any of ya'll solved this problem and if so, how?
Or am i wrong in my research and if so please correct me with some much needed advise..
Thanks guys, casey
tucker69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
homemade87

Re: Lsx intake manifold options

Dont waste your money on aftermarket intake . If engine is stock with a cam the tbss/truck intake is hard to beat . Its the best rated gm intake . Great for low end torque . Unless you have the mods for a aftermarket intake you will not see any benefit over the tbss intake . The low end to midrange is where the tbss intake shines .

If you are only going for the look , thats another story .

Also you can not run a car intake on a truck motor with out spending a few more hundred on changes . Go with the truck intake if it is a must .

Heres some good info on the ls intakes . http://www.hotrod.com/features/1507-...ifolds-tested/

Last edited by homemade87; 02-03-2016 at 09:04 PM.
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker69 View Post
1) truck injectors are shorter/taller and will not work with aftermarket intakes
2) truck serpentine access. System will interfer with throttlebody because aftermarket intakes are lower than trucks
3) aftermarket intakes are for larger mm throttlebodys and hence need for bigger t/b.

If you NEED to go with an aftermarket intake (ie the rest of the setup makes the intake a choke point), then you're already well past NEEDING different injectors. At that point, your better off switching to EV1 or EV6 injectors for the future. However, as had been mentioned, on a stock motor, these things will actually create more problems than solutions.
IIRC the LSRxT is/was made in a cathedral port setup.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #4
FarmerSid

Everything you have researched tucker is correct. I really depends on what you want out of your engine and the look. Fitement might determine what you go with too

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632938
FarmerSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:35 PM   #5
65standard

What about the Dorman TBSS intake. It's cheap and looks more like an LS car intake, only taller, more like the dodge intake on the 6.1 Hemi.

1953 Chevy 3100 392 Hemi w/727 & 9” Ford
1985 Chevy C/10 6.0L 4L80 373 locker
65standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:33 PM   #6
tucker69

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
Dont waste your money on aftermarket intake . If engine is stock with a cam the tbss/truck intake is hard to beat . Its the best rated gm intake . Great for low end torque . Unless you have the mods for a aftermarket intake you will not see any benefit over the tbss intake . The low end to midrange is where the tbss intake shines .

If you are only going for the look , thats another story .

Also you can not run a car intake on a truck motor with out spending a few more hundred on changes . Go with the truck intake if it is a must .

Heres some good info on the ls intakes . http://www.hotrod.com/features/1507-...ifolds-tested/
Thanks buddy, that was aggod article, helped me make my choice.. Casey
Old 02-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
tucker69

Thanks guys, my engine is not stock and I did not any of the stock truck manifolds due to appearance. I ordered the "Fast LSXRT" truck manifold last week. It will work with my stock components for now and afford me the ability to upgrade as needed.. Again thanks for everyones advise and opinions....Casey