The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
clemsonteg

Tensioner causing squeak?

Is there a way to determine if the squeak I am experiencing is coming from my tensioner? I have a 5.3 with a kwik performance ac bracket and z28 tensioner as described in their instructions and I have a squeak that begins around 1500 rpm. I put a wrench on the tensioner and gently applied pressure and the squeak goes away. The tensioner only has a few thousand miles on it.
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
Willie Makeit

Re: Tensioner causing squeak?

the LS1 tensioners are well known for this squeak. the only real remedy is to replace the tensioner pulley
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
LeesTruk

Couple of things to try;
spray some water on the belt at the described rpm's. If it's a belt noise, it'll go away briefly then come back
using a long probe of some kind (screw driver, dowel, even a length of hose, etc.) put one end on the tensioner, the other to your ear. A squealing bearing will become very evident. This can be applied to any belt driven device to check for noise
LeesTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Pretty much every LS truck I've worked on has pulley squeak somewhere. I notice it most on cold start high idle. Once your truck is loud enough, you don't notice it anymore lol.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
the LS1 tensioners are well known for this squeak. the only real remedy is to replace the tensioner pulley
Replace it with a stock replacement or larger for more belt contact and reduced chance of slip? The ac bracket came with a smooth pulley because of how the belt routes.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeesTruk View Post
Couple of things to try;
spray some water on the belt at the described rpm's. If it's a belt noise, it'll go away briefly then come back
using a long probe of some kind (screw driver, dowel, even a length of hose, etc.) put one end on the tensioner, the other to your ear. A squealing bearing will become very evident. This can be applied to any belt driven device to check for noise
I'll try the water trick. Since the noise goes away with added tension, will the water cause it to slip or grip?
Old 11-21-2017, 05:49 AM   #7
LeesTruk

The water just acts as a lubricant, and it'll tell you if your belt is hard/brittle, or dry. It just separates a "belt" noise from a mechanical one
LeesTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #8
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeesTruk View Post
The water just acts as a lubricant, and it'll tell you if your belt is hard/brittle, or dry. It just separates a "belt" noise from a mechanical one
Water definitely makes the noise go away and so does adding tension.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #9
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonteg View Post
Replace it with a stock replacement or larger for more belt contact and reduced chance of slip? The ac bracket came with a smooth pulley because of how the belt routes.
not sure it matters as the squeak is in the bearings, not the belt - that's been my experience

I have gone as far as taking the dust covers off the bearings, cleaning and repacking with fresh grease, only to have the squeak come back within a month or so.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #10
clemsonteg

I swapped to another belt I had and shimmed one pulley. It's gone for now, but I think last time I messed with it I had a few weeks of silence before it returned. I took a photo of the tensioner, which marks am I supposed to be watching?
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2017, 12:46 AM   #11
jweb

I had the same problem, I switched to a Goodyear Gatorback belt and the noise hasn’t come back.
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:02 AM   #12
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

If the dive isn't aligned, it will squeak.. and in the picture, the mark it's on means the tension is just right. Now the belt looks like it's riding on the tensioner pulley edge. If you can center the belt on that tensioner you might get rid of the squeak if that's the source.. have you called the manufacturer? If not, you should so you get a direct answer on your problem.
Clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote