The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #1
1tuff71

insurance provider

Ok guys I'm getting ready to put my truck back on the road and am wondering who to choose for my insurance. Who is a good place to deal with and why ? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
flashed

Re: insurance provider

I have all my classics insured thru Hagerty ,have had 2 claims ,very good to deal with .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
flashed

There are other classic insurance companys out there too .Grundy is one and I have heard good things about them .Most if not all will require it to be garaged .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
cooperhw

I've used both Hagerty and Grundy. Have Hagerty now.
Get a quote from both. Both good companies, but I have never had a claim other than a tow one time. Heard great stories from those who did have a loss. both stepped right up.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
Maximus

From Hagerty website:

Storage

Though we prefer that collector vehicles are stored in an enclosed, secure structure when not in use — such as a private garage, pole barn or storage unit — we will consider other storage types, including*:
Carports
Driveways
Parking garages
Car hauling trailers
*Storage and driver eligibility are subject to underwriter review and to all applicable state and underwriting restrictions.

I dont have a garage, but all my vehicles are under carports. Haven't looked into classic car insurance yet though, most of my rigs are sub 10k cars, not going to stress about them too much... I appreciate those who have $25k in parts or labor alone in their cars, and could understand wanting to protect the cash they put into their cars.

Im always sketched out by the limitations, and question how they determine certain things... like for their classic truck insurance "We can consider limited towing and hauling up to 20 times per year." whats considered a haul? Taking your lawnmower to a repair shop is probably a haul, no?

either way, a specialty insurance company will be far better than a standard one, as they deal daily in true market value of cars older than 1980, not just a book value.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #6
LuckyScott

I use JC Taylor. Have had them for over 20 years and for 12 vehicles. Had one accident where my suburban and a early bathtub Porsche went head on and the company took care of it. Very happy with them, and we even increased the value of some of our collector cars and it was very easy to do. They even covered our car trailer.
LuckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:54 PM   #7
1972 Jimmy

I did have my vehicles insured by Grundy. Last summer my 69 camaro was stolen. Dealing with Grundy was absolutely horrible! When you have a claim you never actually talked to Grundy your deal with Philadelphia insurance. Do not insure with Grundy!!!
I currently have my vehicles insured by Haggerty. a little pricey but I've heard good things.
Chubb is another collector car insurance company that I looked into. They have good rates, however they do not in progress Restorations.
1972 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote