The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2018, 04:31 AM   #1
Big Dawgs 86

Coil over suspension

I’m thinking of investing in a ride tech coil over suspension system for my 1986 Chevy c10 Stepside.. I have a 4/7 drop on it now spindals, springs up front and flip kit and one leaf spring removed from the back.. I expected a better and smoother ride out of this kit but truck rattles and bottoms out and slams pretty hard when driving... are these coil over suspensions a night and day difference or just hype I need honest feedback before I spend big bucks and end up disappointed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Big Dawgs 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
JohnJ@RideTech

Re: Coil over suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dawgs 86 View Post
I’m thinking of investing in a ride tech coil over suspension system for my 1986 Chevy c10 Stepside.. I have a 4/7 drop on it now spindals, springs up front and flip kit and one leaf spring removed from the back.. I expected a better and smoother ride out of this kit but truck rattles and bottoms out and slams pretty hard when driving... are these coil over suspensions a night and day difference or just hype I need honest feedback before I spend big bucks and end up disappointed.
Posted via Mobile Device
I may be a little biased..just a heads up.
So the "brains" of your suspension are the shocks. Your ride quality, for the most part, is dictated by how your shocks are built and valved.
The shock in the coil over application you are looking at is a mono tube, single adjustable piece that was co-developed with Fox Racing. The valve code was developed by us here in house and designed to give you ample adjust-ability so you can fine tune the ride quality to your liking.
There are 24 different rebound settings in each shock, so dialing it in and finding that "sweet spot" is easy to do. Ride quality is subjective, what rides great to me may be terrible to you..so we give our customers the ability to set it where they like. You arent stuck with whatever the ride quality is right out of the box like non-adjustable pieces.
When it comes to the coil over kit, there's more to be had than just ride quality. We've optimized the ball joint angle for a lowered ride height, we've designed in more caster and camber adjustment so the alignment can be fine tuned for your intended use. To assist in keeping the truck from bottoming out, we've lengthened the shock stroke over the factory piece by extending the upper mount (this gives you more shock travel) and you have an included c-notch in the rear to keep the axle tube from smacking the frame.
The kit really is designed for performance without sacrificing ride quality. There are several members on this forum who have written detailed threads on the installation of that same kit, check those guys out if you want an unbiased opinion. Guys like N2TRUX and Bubba Beason can give you a ton of details and first hand knowledge on the kits.
Check out the link below for a full install video we did. Thats me in the video helping with the install. If you have any questions, dont hesitate to let me know. Ill be more than happy to help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3v4nPwe6-8
Office: 812-482-2932
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Instagram: @ridetech_john
JohnJ@RideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
JohnJ@RideTech

Here are a couple threads that you can check out on the kit.

Ken:
Elwood (AIR): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=738570

Scarlett (Coilover): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hp?t=705824%22

Bubba:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=747247

My Coilover Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=745710
Office: 812-482-2932
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Instagram: @ridetech_john
JohnJ@RideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
sweetk30

as said buy the ridetech guy above SHOCKS are the single most ride quality item you can change .

lots of guys in the 4x4 world are reporting much much better ride out of there lifted trucks with ditching off the shelf cheepy shocks or basic level lift kit shocks . when these guys pay up the cash for good valved specific shocks from company's that dial them in for specific vehicles and ride styles they are getting 200% better ride quality after just a shock change .

and also i have always read guys say more than 1" drop coil = harder ride . it seems to be the nature of the beast .

my 85 c10 short bed i did 2.5" drop spindles and 2" up hanger for the leaf springs in the front and 1" longer shackle rear for the 1/2" . the whole truck is down 2.5" but still has the factory rake and RIDE . thats just my tastes tho .

hope this info helps .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote