The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
saxart

Wiring dual radiator fans

Just looking for a confirmation that this is thought out correctly before we go stripping and soldering wires.

Awhile back I picked up a dual radiator fan set up out of a 2000 Ford Windstar van for $26. I believe the fan motors are 20-amp motors, but I can't confirm.

While I was at the Pick-N-Pull, I also grabbed this nifty dual relay holder from the inner fender-well of a 2000-ish Mercury Grand Marquis for $8. Research shows these are 30-Amp relays. It also has a neat plastic cover to finish it off once installed.

Here's what I'm planning for wiring. Do you see anything wrong with this? I know the 50AMP breaker is a little much, but it's what I have so I'm going to use it. Also, I plan on running 8ga wire from the battery, through the breaker and to the relays, then out the relays and to the fans. One fan will be controlled by the automatic fan switch, the other will be manual.

Finally, there is a 180-deg thermostat in the 350 SBC and a 190-on/175-off switch mounted in the radiator. The thought is that the thermostat opens @ 180, then if the radiator gets above 190, the fan will kick in. As you can see, the other circuit will be wired up such that a switch mounted on the dash can be used to kick in the secondary fan. From what I've researched, it seems that the one fan is usually more than enough, but it will be nice to have the second fan while towing or in very slow traffic/hot weather. The larger fan will be the primary which will be connected to the automatic switch, the smaller fan will be the secondary (manual) fan.

Do you see any screw ups here? This is really the last big ticket item on the truck, so I'm itching for this snow to melt and to be able to get it back on the road!