The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #376
99 to Life

Re: 49 ls1

looking good sarge, little by little she'll be on the road soon. I just got my 51' out and man it feels good to drive it for a change, never have time to get her out it seems. Summer is finally upon us, finally!!! time to get on it.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #377
CharlieSheen

Skymangs...thank you so much,you are my hero.
I'm new here and just started a thread about a '53 and what I need to look for to put a Chevy LS engine in.I'm stealing a little here and a little there,but your firewall modification was just what I was looking for at this point.I'm putting a '53 cab and nose on a 2006 chassis and am putting the cab on a rotisserie to work on...your sheetmetal mods are a HUGE help.Thanks again.

I need to take a full evening this week to look over your full build,but I'm thinking already it is going to be key for me.
CharlieSheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #378
skymangs

Thanks Ghetto, it's a nice change of pace to be working on something for pleasure! I'm dedicating Sundays as '49 day from now on!

99... Drive the wheels off of it. I have it good I guess, until mine's done, I can always steal the kid's '48 when I wanna look cool.

CharlieSheen, thanks. I'm just trying to share so others don't waste time and money repeating the same mistakes I have. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Happy to pass along what little knowledge I have.
skymangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:48 AM   #379
CharlieSheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymangs View Post
Wow, it's been a while since I worked on this truck! Finally got a little "me time" today with the old girl. Steering linkage is all finished up, and I started working on the "look" for the cab. I'm calling it "Shabby Chic"... It's a mix of several layers, several colors, covered with black and wet sanded. I'm kind of digging it
Is it me,or is the steering shaft a mile away from the engine?How does this happen....whoops,it looks like there are no exhaust manifolds or headers...but it still looks like a lot of room.
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlieSheen; 05-29-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #380
CharlieSheen

Sarge(if I may call you that)...nice tip about the Trailblazer SS exhaust manifolds.I'm probably going to find a pair now,before the rest of the world finds out.Not many GM part bargains out there for about $100 per pair! Just need to confirm the bolt up to my LQ4(6.0L) heads.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:04 AM   #381
skymangs

They will. Trailblazer SS came with either a 5.3 or 6.0... Same exhaust manifolds on both.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:55 AM   #382
CharlieSheen

Sarge,is your steering shaft exiting the cab in the stock '49 exit hole? It appears you have plenty of steering shaft to engine clearance,is this due to your steering box location on your front clip?Do you have to do any inner fender modification?

I am trying to avoid any extra u-joints in my steering shaft on my '53/2006-3500chassis conversion.

Can you possibly do me a favor?It would be very helpful to get a measurement from the center of the crankshaft bolt on the front of the engine,to the center of the shaft of the steering box.My steering box is also inboard of the frame,of course(not outboard like the AD chassis).
Old 05-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #383
skymangs

Heck no, the stock steering column hole disappeared long ago. My column is centered below the V of the '55 instrument cluster. Sorry, I know it isn't much help.

Inner fenders had to be cut down pretty severely. but no worse than for an S10 swap.

You can get away with one borgeson joint, but it has to be fixed on one end (right at the steering column). I used 2 with this one, but since they are both fixed on one end, there is no "wobble problems" that would require a heim to stabilize.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #384
skymangs

I'll try to take that measurement today. Remember, I'm using a 74 Firebird stub, not an S10 chassis. My measurements will likely be different.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:19 PM   #385
CharlieSheen

Quote:
Heck no, the stock steering column hole disappeared long ago. My column is centered below the V of the '55 instrument cluster. Sorry, I know it isn't much help.

Inner fenders had to be cut down pretty severely. but no worse than for an S10 swap.

You can get away with one borgeson joint, but it has to be fixed on one end (right at the steering column). I used 2 with this one, but since they are both fixed on one end, there is no "wobble problems" that would require a heim to stabilize.
Ok,got it about the steering column.I would have to believe the steering column,in relation to the centerline of the truck has not changed much.I was wondering if you had cheated the column toward the left to get more engine clearance or not,because you seem to have plenty of clearance.

Yes,I would like to keep it to a single steering shaft if at all possible.

Yeah,I have pretty much no knowledge of what is typically needed during one of these frame swaps.I'm glad to know that the inner fenders require a lot of modification,I couldn't see any other way.I'm pretty sure that I will maintain plenty of tire clearance however,because the 2006 front track width is so wide,I will have to widen each of my 2-ton fenders by 2-3 inches.

Thanks again for your kind help.I hope these questions don't distract from your build too much.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #386
skymangs

Not at all. I teased the column to the left maybe an inch or so, Mostly I just centered it on the dash opening.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #387
skymangs

Here's some new pics. First is the fuel setup. pre-filter, then Warboro 392 electric pump, last is a 98-2000 vette filter, it has a regulated return and eliminates the need for a long return line.

Next is the fuel/brake line routing. I went with 3/8" steel line with compression fittings.

Last is the engine in "ready to run" stage.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #388
skymangs

Initial start-up happened today! Fired right up, purred like a kitten.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 06-01-2014, 11:28 PM   #389
oldman3

Chris, great news on the start-up...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:32 PM   #390
99 to Life

congrats sarge, great feeling on start ups.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:59 PM   #391
skymangs

Yup... that's the "over the hump" mark for me.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:00 AM   #392
w70442

Just read the entire thread. Awesome! I'm building a 49 5 window on an s10 frame with an LS1 and vintage air as well. So I will be using your thread for reference a bunch I'm sure.
I noticed that you are using a stock air conditioning compressor. You may already know this but vintage says that using a stock GM compressor will work for a while but will die prematurely because it isn't designed to operate the way their system operates.
Thanks for your service. Glad you didn't have to go back especially if your back problems were a result of a previous deployment.
Looking forward to the rest of the build as well as others you have lined up.
w70442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:47 AM   #393
CharlieSheen

Hey Sarge,the work on your dash is pretty awesome.It looks like your dash is deeper than the original AD dash.Did that effect your steering wheel location,toward the seat?Did you mock up a wheel and check if it were a comfortable position?After seeing what you did,I may consider doing some dash mods,but just want to be sure that a deeper dash won't make the steering wheel position too close for the bigger guys.I'm pretty tall,myself.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #394
skymangs

w70442; Thank you. You are correct. The Denso compressor is designed for an orifice tube, while the aftermarket evaps use an expansion valve. I'm re-searching a work around as we speak.

Charliesheen; Thank you, it is a few inches deeper. The larger behind dash area gives me a lot more room to work with for AC, wipers, PCM, etc. Luckily that is a tilt column, so everything is adjustable! I did mock it up just to be sure.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #395
w70442

You're welcome. Good luck on the compressor work around. I just broke down and bought their compressor. One less thing to deal with. I'm creating enough of my own issues with the ideas I have for my build.
Interesting that you wrapped the dash around on the doors. I believe you did it cause the dash you installed originally did it but I was thinking of extending the AD dash around onto the door like that just cause I think it would add a little more modern/custom look.
Rock on........
w70442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:59 AM   #396
CharlieSheen

Sarge,your whole dash concept got my wheels turning.Now I want a cool dash too.Ok...not as cool as yours,not a '57,but something vintage.How did you find yours?
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #397
skymangs

w70442; Just FYI, I just competed a Sanden 508 (what vintage air uses) on a 5.3 LS. The only bracket that I could find that would work was Holley's... Total cost for bracket, "install kit" (spacers and bolts), and the corvette tensioner/idler that are required to use their bracket was $325... Seems like a lot for a bracket to me. On the dash... I wrapped it around because I'd never seen it done like that before, and thought it would look cool.

charliesheen; I bought mine off the wall in the basement of Jim Carters. Best $100 I ever spent. I got home and found the same thing on ebay for $400... I think I got a deal!
Old 06-06-2014, 06:05 AM   #398
CharlieSheen

Quote:
On the dash... I wrapped it around because I'd never seen it done like that before, and thought it would look cool.

charliesheen; I bought mine off the wall in the basement of Jim Carters. Best $100 I ever spent. I got home and found the same thing on ebay for $400... I think I got a deal!
Yeah,I can't wait to see how that turns out,you must have been struck by a lightning bolt.

I may contact Jim Carter about my wacky idea,to see if they may have something I can work with.Not telling anybody about it yet,because I change my mind like a teenage girl.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #399
skymangs

Cool. Remember, it's just steel. It can always be cut out and replaced. LoL
Old 06-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #400
CharlieSheen

Quote:
Cool. Remember, it's just steel. It can always be cut out and replaced. LoL
Ha!
I only have the cajones because you lead the way.
I am thinking I may want a "real dash" with more projection than the original and a real gauge package and room for ducting ECM...fuzez..etc,like you mentioned before. Now you have me really wussing out thinking about A/C.

I started the ball rolling by emailing Jim Carter to see if they have something on hand.