The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2024, 10:11 AM   #1
popeyestruck

One piece side window option

I wanted to use the vent windows and bought new ones because mine weren't salvageable. Went to install the side glass today and these vent windows aren't even close. I think i'll go with the one piece from brothers although $517 for 2 pieces of glass ,some setting tape and a gasket is pretty crazy. If I can return the vent windows i'll end up saving money. I don't want to start sending vent windows back and forth hoping to get a good pair. The conversion looks easy. Anyone have an issue with these vent windows and go this route? I have new doors so I held the vent windows up to the old doors and they didnt fit them either but they were closer
Attached Images

popeyestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:35 PM   #2
popeyestruck

Re: One piece side window option

Looking back on old threads it sounds like a lot of people had issues with the 1 pc window rattling and not being a good fit. Most of these are from 10 or more years ago so I'm wondering if brothers ever got it fixed. I would think after so many complaints they'd get it right. It looks like my after market doors might be to problem. I'm thinking I can buy U channel and window felt from distributers . Make a template out of 1/4 plywood and make sure it goes up and down then have a local glass company make the windows to fit the frame. Brothers truck will sell the parts separately. The U channel is $143 for both sides but I can probably get that from a distributer cheaper. The anti rattle is $84 for all 4. I think I would need to buy this from them since its a fairly custom piece. Anyone?

Last edited by popeyestruck; 04-10-2024 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:12 AM   #3
popeyestruck

24 hours no answer . With aftermarket door fitment I know others have run into it and I wont be the last so I'll keep the thread going with hopes I can solve it . Classic will take back the vent windows minus 20% and I pay shipping. Store credit only. I think I'm going to sacrifice 1 vent window and grind off the tabs 1 at a time to try to get it close enough to install. Just need to get the divider bar installed . If I do I should be able to either hold The vent part in with either some U channel or a sheet metal screw inside the vent window weatherstripping. Once I grind off the tabs I'll know if I made up enough of the gap to make it work. If it doesnt I'm out the $200 or so from the vent window return. I prehung the doors when I got them and got the gaps to look good . I had no idea I should have installed the windows pre-paint. I'm not sure if anyone else needs this info so admin can delete if I'm rambling
Old 04-11-2024, 06:43 AM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I'm seriously thinking about doing a 1pc window in my IH.. biggest reason is new vent window gaskets are over $400..I read horror stories about the gaskets poor fit, leaky windows,etc etc
So I contacted balls vintage glass, and I can get their 1 pc power window conversion kit that comes with everything needed for just over $500..
https://www.vintageglass.com/index.p...ct_detail&p=15

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 07:02 AM   #5
popeyestruck

My problem is the aftermarket doors need glass cut to fit on the vent side. If what I'm doing doesnt work my next step is to try the 1 piece and use a template to have my own glass cut locally. I emailed vintage to see if they will cut the glass off my template. Edit: vintage glass says $295 for both pieces of tempered glass cut to my pattern

Last edited by popeyestruck; 04-11-2024 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:53 AM   #6
jwhotrod

Nu Relics makes "original" type window mechanism with electric actuators both for 2 piece glass and 1 piece glass side windows. you think you have a unique situation try 1 piece windows for a 35 chevy, I called them and he asked if i had the original wood in the car or had steel tubed the doors. i said tubed and he said no problem. Gave mr actuators that fit the original screw holes in the doors and extended window channels that compensated for the "missing" wind wings. uses gm motors and controls and very nice people to boot, i will use them again for my 55 truck build.

'
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 11:50 AM   #7
leegreen

I think vent windows are very desirable on these old trucks and I'd fight to keep them.

I'd want to understand what the differences are before starting to cut anything. Your pictures make it look like it needs to go forward and up in the opening. Aftermarket rubber being what it is I'd be suspicious of that first.

Are you able to compare the new windows/rubbers to the old ones?
Can you compare profiles of old and new doors at perimeter and cross section using one of those profile finger gauges?

repairing the pivots then rebuilding my AD vent windows with new rubber and getting them installed in doors was probably 3 days work but worth it
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 03:23 PM   #8
popeyestruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
I think vent windows are very desirable on these old trucks and I'd fight to keep them.

I'd want to understand what the differences are before starting to cut anything. Your pictures make it look like it needs to go forward and up in the opening. Aftermarket rubber being what it is I'd be suspicious of that first.

Are you able to compare the new windows/rubbers to the old ones?
Can you compare profiles of old and new doors at perimeter and cross section using one of those profile finger gauges?

repairing the pivots then rebuilding my AD vent windows with new rubber and getting them installed in doors was probably 3 days work but worth it
The inner door profile and out vent window profile are a little different on the bend. Old vent windows are gone but I still have the old doors. These vent windows dont really fit either but the old doors its closer. On the new doors the vent window hits on the top right screw bracket and the bottom left so the window cant be pushed closer to left . If I remove these 2 brackets it may give me enough wiggle room to push the vent window assembly into position. Theres still 2 brackets on the vent window from that I can either line up with the existing holes in the door frame or drill some new holes if needed. If I do this the bottom 2 bolts that go into the lower door should then line up too. I'm waiting until tomorrow to start on them . Taking a day to think on it and give time for anyone who has an idea. I think I have a good plan worked out.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:22 PM   #9
JDarby

I agree with leegreen, I would try my darnest to keep the vents on the truck!
I would think if they are that far off from fitting the door your vendor would except the return!

I think I even have a few spare vent windows for my 55.1
JDarby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 04:34 PM   #10
57FleetsideC4

I used the OER brand vent windows on my 57 and other than three out of 4 of the original mounting holes had to be redrilled they fit fine. I had original doors. Steve
Old 04-11-2024, 11:15 PM   #11
leegreen

I may not know what I'm talking about as I am not a TF guy, but can you bend those tabs out of the way them hammer them back down once the window is in position?
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 02:25 AM   #12
popeyestruck

I'll try to bend them out of the way but The way everything fits it probably wont work. They are about a 3/8 outside radius of pretty solid metal held on with a couple factory smooth rivets . They are surprisingly well made for an aftermarket part. The very top of the division bar might need a little grinding to swing into position . It would be great if I could bend or remove and reinstall. Once I grind them classic parts wont take the back. They have to be able to sell them as new

Last edited by popeyestruck; 04-12-2024 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:28 AM   #13
popeyestruck

Got it to work on the pass side by grinding off all the tabs and ground the divider bar( Top right in first pic) off almost flush. Then needed to elongate the 2 holes on the bottom on the divider bar in the lower doors panel. Added some weatherstrip in the upper left corner to fill a 1/4 gap but you cant really see it. Its not perfect and not as solid but I got to keep my vent windows. Its still more solid than the 1 pc conversion. Tomorrow i'll do the driver side