The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #26
Russell Ashley

Re: WARNING: RANT! #!*%’g Aftermarket Side Windows & Wings

Dang, Dan, I'm sad to see how much trouble you are having getting the windows in. I bought mine from a local shop and my receipt doesn't show the source of the windows but they did fit very nicely. The whole set with tint and chrome plus a complete set of felts cost me $1K. I thought it was high but now I'm thinking that maybe it was not too bad. I hate to see that about your beautiful paint but it can be corrected so don't let it discourage you too much.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #27
Black_Sheep

After seeing that, I'm glad I resisted the urge to get new chrome wing assemblies and refinished the painted steel originals. Sorry about your troubles Dan, expensive do overs are no fun. I've had my fair share too...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #28
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks you guys.

I got new repops the day before yesterday and test fit them it APPEARS they fit dramatically better and will be the solution to my fitment problem (Fingers crossed, I only tried the damaged passenger side so far).

If they fit and the windows work well then the painter can fix the paint damage - there are a couple very tiny glitches elsewhere too - and tht will end this drama. I will have the front and back window installed professionally, Ive learned my (expensive) lesson.

The bed wood is now ready to be installed as well so getting the windows behind me is the main obstacle to wrapping up the majority of the reassembly. Thanks everyone for your comments and help. - Dan

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #29
Daze57

hang in there dan -- it can all be fixed --- i dont like repop either. never did --- but sometimes you have no choice -
hope it all fits good and you are happy with the outcome .
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #30
Dan in Pasadena

Well gentlemen, the windows are in. It took all day and I’m not all that happy with the outcome. Took longer than a pro & I had to uninstall/reinstall each because the roller that goes into the channel welded into the door came out - frustrating - but I got it done.

These repops mostly fit - but not exactly. Only 2 of 4 tabs on the outside of the wind wing matched the holes in the door. I didn’t drill for additional screws YET but I suspect I’ll have to.

A pro experienced with these trucks could maybe avoid the paint scratches but I don't see how they could make reproductions fit better.

The fuzzy C channel wrinkles at the upper rear corner depite clamping the heck out of them. Nothing a pro would do could change that. MAYBE cut “V’s” to make them conform to the curve of the door but I noticed that wasn’t done by the guys on YouTube that installed their own. Anyway, here are pic’s of the install. Anti-rattle strips or “whiskers” are not yet installed and it’s obvious they require extensive trimming to fit close-to-correctly. I was annoyed so I quit for the day.

On to the next thing!
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-09-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:02 AM   #31
oldman3

Dan, glad you got them in. Take a little break...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #32
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
The fuzzy C channel wrinkles at the upper rear corner depite clamping the heck out of them. Nothing a pro would do could change that. MAYBE cut “V’s” to make them conform to the curve of the door but I noticed that wasn’t done by the guys on YouTube that installed their own. Anyway, here are pic’s of the install. Anti-rattle strips or “whiskers” are not yet installed and it’s obvious they require extensive trimming to fit close-to-correctly.
looks good dan

the fuzzy c channel looked like someone bent them over their knee in my kit. i made a 1/4'' plywood template of the window and hammered the wrinkles flat
i used double sided tape to hold the anti-rattle strips in place. they needed 4 holes for micro-screws, i figured i'd chip the paint using a drill in that place. double sided tape to the rescue
anytime i used double sided tape i made sure to use the adhesive primer, once it's stuck it's there for good

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #33
MARTINSR

Yeah really sit back and relax, it looks good.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #34
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Wow Dan, sorry you had so much trouble with the window install! I know its easy to say, but try and put it behind you, keep at it and enjoy driving a beautiful truck!

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #35
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
looks good dan
Thanks but it doesn’t look all that great up close.

Quote:
I made a 1/4'' plywood template of the window and hammered the wrinkles flat.
I should have done something like that but by that point I was so thoroughly frustrated with the entire job I just wanted it behind me. I’m sure I’ll regret how it looks.

Quote:
I used double sided tape to hold the anti-rattle strips in place. They needed 4 holes for micro-screws, I figured I'd chip the paint using a drill in that place. Double sided tape to the rescue Anytime I used double sided tape I made sure to use the adhesive primer, once it's stuck it's there for good
I’m not sure what kind of double sided tape you’re talking about? Obviously not the ordinary kind you can buy at Home Depot, etc?

The plastic tabs they come with are a little too wide for the holes in the doors. On the YouTube video the guy shows that he cut these tabs down, but there is no mention of using tape, etc. I'm hoping the tabs go into the holes easily but they wont with bare hands-I tried. Also, did you cut yours shoter on the curved end to butt up to the fuzzy channel or did you tuck them behind the fuzzy channel? Mine seem too long there.

Mine came with some kind of rubbery strip on them but it’s not adhesive. On yours did you remove the rubbery stuff to put on the tape? Or did yours not come with that? I was considering using the same 3M black trim adhesive I used to install the fuzzy channel. Is there a reason I SHOULDN’T use that?

Oh and PS to this whole debacle: The windows dont go up and down easily. I’m almost afraid of stripping the handles unless I use my other hand to “help.” The fuzzy stuff seems a bit tight, and the whiskers will probably only make this worse.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-10-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #36
roger55

Dan, I feel your pain.

Remember this thread?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...10#post7306810

I gave up on aftermarket and ended up getting an original set of frames from tmoble. Then I had a local glass shop make me new glass. 100% perfect fit.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #37
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
Dan, I feel your pain.

Remember this thread?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...10#post7306810

I gave up on aftermarket and ended up getting an original set of frames from tmoble. Then I had a local glass shop make me new glass. 100% perfect fit.
Yes, I remember that thread.

The wind wings I have don't seem to have the same issues yours did. My issues were mainly with the riveted-on tabs that screw to the door sheet metal. The repops I bought & installed the other day also have 2 of the 4 tabs slightly off. They seem to work ok, just a bit tight into the fuzzy channel which im hoping will get easier in time.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #38
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I was considering using the same 3M black trim adhesive I used to install the fuzzy channel. Is there a reason I SHOULDN’T use that?
I used fuze-it on the last three sets of window channels I installed after ruining the first set trying to install the micro screws. worked perfectly, except fuze-it is grey and a little squeezed out, so I had an extra step to trim it with a razor. literally attaches anything to anything, got some on a set of pliers and forgot about it, it was an act of congress to get the jaws open (but it did open, because I didnt sand to prep them)

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote