The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
DustinU

1969 Blazer...To be my daily driver

I have been reading many of the VERY informative threads here for a couple months now before finally picking up my new addition last Saturday, a 1969 Blazer. I flew to Phoenix, transferred title and drove here home about 400 miles. Lost about a quart of oil from the valve covers, well just took it out of the engine and spread it across the under carriage, tail gate and hatch. I did the compression test today to find she is pretty tired, varible compression through out with two cylinders pretty low. I squirted a little oil in the cylinder to see if it helped bring up the compression, it didn't so I may just try a valve job on the heads first.
Any way here is how I got her...
4" Lift (block rear) and 33" BFG Mud Terrains
350/350 Np205 with 12 bolt and 3:73 gears
The rear seat is out of my brothers Jimmy (beonkey), this one came with a descent condition original CST bench he is testing to see if he wants it.

DustinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
DustinU

Re: 1969 Blazer...To be my daily driver

My brother found the matching rear superlift 4" leaf spring pack on craigslist so I can ditch the block. I got the existing interior cleared out and new valve covers installed.
Rancho 9000XL on stand by along with 2008 Escalade seats (2nd and 3rd row)
Family Cage
Exhaust
Carpet and interior, etc etc

Old 03-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
YBNORML

Nice! A very clean truck. I think it has the perfect amount of lift.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
VA72C10
VA72C10

very nice! looks solid
Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
29od1

Welcome Dustin, it looks like you have a very solid start to your Blazer! There are a lot of guys on here that are very helpful and you can find a lot of great ideas.

Make sure you save your original bucket seats and brackets when you install your newer seats. They are very desirable to a lot of people on here if you want to sell them.

I decided to start a thread on my seat install if you want to check out what I did. I didn't want to clutter your build thread up with my stuff.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post5224761

David

Last edited by 29od1; 03-02-2012 at 08:59 AM.
29od1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Between you, your brother and dad, that's quite a collection of blazers.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
DustinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29od1 View Post
Welcome Dustin, it looks like you have a very solid start to your Blazer! There are a lot of guys on here that are very helpful and you can find a lot of great ideas.

Make sure you save your original bucket seats and brackets when you install your newer seats. They are very desirable to a lot of people on here if you want to sell them.

I decided to start a thread on my seat install if you want to check out what I did. I didn't want to clutter your build thread up with my stuff.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post5224761

David
Thanks David! This that is very helpful.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
DustinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Between you, your brother and dad, that's quite a collection of blazers.
If we could just get my sister to buy a 71
Old 03-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
beonkey

Yeah Bro, finally on here! Looking good. Scrub the tub and cruise it over for some Al's liner. Looking good.
Posted via Mobile Device
beonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
madkmart

very nice find looks very sharp
madkmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #11
DustinU

So yesterday I installed poly body bushings. Today I removed the rear 4" block and stock springs. I replaced them with them with the matching rear 4" Superlift springs (used in great shape) to match the front, I also installed 4 Rancho 9000XL shocks. Before installing I measured it out and realized the rear would be lower and it is. I kinda like that look anyway, kinda stock but taller... This may level out a little as I believe the front springs are much newer than the rear, but I am OK with it either way.
Now tomorrow I need to finish with the valve covers, plugs, wires etc so I can test the new suspension parts. Today was a long day between trips to the parts store for u bolts and laying on the concrete fighting the nuts and bolts.

Before

AFTER:

Old 03-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

If you check around you will find that the rear sag is common on these 1st gen blazers. I think they might have been that way from the factory. Most people will buy a lift kit with 2" more lift for the rear than the front. I have all original springs and will use a combination of air shocks and a short lift block to level it out.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
DustinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
If you check around you will find that the rear sag is common on these 1st gen blazers. I think they might have been that way from the factory. Most people will buy a lift kit with 2" more lift for the rear than the front. I have all original springs and will use a combination of air shocks and a short lift block to level it out.

I think you are right about them coming from the factory that way, that is how my Dad's has always been. Maybe not as much drop as mine has now to to the age difference in the springs. For the time being I will leave it alone, if it turns out I don't like it this way I will probably drop the front 2".
Old 03-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
DustinU

Well after some thought I decided on a crate motor from summit (GM Performance) 350/290 HP. So I pulled everything but the block out, block comes out today. I am going to clean up/replace some of the wiring the PO's did as well as some of their other handy work (i.e. Great Stuff window and door foam), there is red, black and white paint in the engine compartment, etc etc. I need to be quick as I need this on the road asap and the new engine arrives today or tomorrow I hope. Anyway, here are some before and during pictures. I will check the block today, I think it may be original, if it is I will keep it and take my time building up something fun for the Blazer down the road.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
DustinU

The Al's Liner arrived yesterday so I need to start prepping for that also...

Old 03-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
drunkbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinU View Post
Well after some thought I decided on a crate motor from summit (GM Performance) 350/290 HP. So I pulled everything but the block out, block comes out today. I am going to clean up/replace some of the wiring the PO's did as well as some of their other handy work (i.e. Great Stuff window and door foam), there is red, black and white paint in the engine compartment, etc etc. I need to be quick as I need this on the road asap and the new engine arrives today or tomorrow I hope. Anyway, here are some before and during pictures. I will check the block today, I think it may be original, if it is I will keep it and take my time building up something fun for the Blazer down the road.

If you haven't ordered the motor yet, Jeg's was offering free shipping on all GM performance parts crate motors. Shipping is usually about $150.
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
DustinU

Thanks! Summit shipped it for free also to my door. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #18
BOHICA

Sweet! Someone who has the same lift as me. How does yours ride? Mine needs a lot of work before I can get it on the road and the PO used '73+ springs on the front, so I've been trying to decide whether to just get the proper 4" Superlift springs for the front, or sell the current lift as a '73+ kit and get something different.

Beautiful truck.
1987 Land Cruiser
1990 Chevy K3500 454
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #19
rjsdad

Love it! Congrats. Would love to live down there again so I could take weekend trips to Johnson Valley.

Jeff
rjsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #20
DustinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHICA View Post
Sweet! Someone who has the same lift as me. How does yours ride? Mine needs a lot of work before I can get it on the road and the PO used '73+ springs on the front, so I've been trying to decide whether to just get the proper 4" Superlift springs for the front, or sell the current lift as a '73+ kit and get something different.

Beautiful truck.
Thank you. I won't be able to tell you how she rides for another week or so, crate motor gets he tomorrow. I did putt her around the block with the rear springs and new rancho 9000xl shocks, I had them set to zero on all four corners and it had made the ride very soft... I will have to dial in the shocks once back on the road, but I think the shocks are what are going to make the biggest difference with this lift... I can already tell that it was money well spent. I took off the Superlift superide shocks that were a year or two old and came with the truck.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #21
DustinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsdad View Post
Love it! Congrats. Would love to live down there again so I could take weekend trips to Johnson Valley.

Jeff
Big Bear will probably be my first off road trip, maybe drop down the back side to Johnson Valley/Soggy dry lake area... sounds like fun!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #22
TheAnnoyingSister

Quote:
If we could just get my sister to buy a 71
When the Germans decide to make a Blazer I'll buy one
TheAnnoyingSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #23
DustinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnnoyingSister View Post
When the Germans decide to make a Blazer I'll buy one
Ohh boy, looks like we got the whole family to be forum members. Sis, in the future, please refrain from the vulgar and offensive language
Old 03-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #24
DustinU

Yesterday I got the original clutch hole in the fire wall filled and a few hole PO's made. Engine compartment gets attacked today and tomorrow. The way the wires are run is really bothering me, but that will have to be taken care of on a weekend once she is up and running... priorities. Started prep for the Al's liner as well. The crate motor gets delivered tomorrow... hopefully I will have it in this weekend.

Some friends helping me out...

Last edited by DustinU; 03-08-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #25
BOHICA

Quote:
Thank you. I won't be able to tell you how she rides for another week or so, crate motor gets he tomorrow. I did putt her around the block with the rear springs and new rancho 9000xl shocks, I had them set to zero on all four corners and it had made the ride very soft... I will have to dial in the shocks once back on the road, but I think the shocks are what are going to make the biggest difference with this lift... I can already tell that it was money well spent. I took off the Superlift superide shocks that were a year or two old and came with the truck.
Yeah, as a rule I hate white vehicles, but yours doesn't look bad at all.

Does the back of your Blazer sag any? Mine doesn't, but it's pretty much stripped down, too, so I can't tell how badly these springs sag. I think I'll ultimately stick with the 4" springs, but another option I'm looking at is going to 2" in the front.
1987 Land Cruiser
1990 Chevy K3500 454
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote