The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Interviews and Articles

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Our Staff : Acex

Truck Info
Manufacturer: Chevrolet
Year: 1985
Suspension type: Static
Front Brakes: Disc
Rear Brakes: Drum
Steering: Sloppy
Tire and Wheel Size: 15x8 255/60/15 front; 15x10 275/60/15 rear

Body
Color Scheme: Factory white
Bodyman: Jimmy Moore
Painter: Jimmy Moore

Interior
Color: Tan
Material: Cloth, plasitc, MDF, Carpet, Plexiglass
Upholsterer: Adam DeFazio
Wiring: Factory
Modifications: Arc Audio Stereo system, custom lower door panels, custom sub box, custom EQ mount in center of bench seat
Stereo/Speakers/Amps: Full Arc Audio sound system; four 10" subs, three sets of 6.5" components, 1300wRMS of power form two Arc Audio amps
Air Conditioning: Converted to R134a

Engine
Cubic Inch: 305
Manufacturer: Chevy
Exhaust type: Custom 2.5" system with Super44 muffler. Tucked behind rear most rocker panel

Transmission
Automatic / Standard: 700R4
Modifications: Corvette Servos
Shifter type: Janky

Biography
Matt Ochoa (Dad has several chouce names for me though)

I work at In-N-Out Burger in Sacramento, but am often found travelling around the Northern California area opening new stores and training people. I'll soon be headed out to Texas where I should be for about a year or more. Want to use the extra money to come back to California and buy a house.

I bought my truck in August of 2005. I bought it from my uncle Dennis who had bought the truck new in 1985. He used it as a daily driver for a while, then as a tow-pig for his fishing boat. When I bought the truck it only had 59k on the clock and the price was right, so I picked it up. Little did I know at the time waht sort of love affair I had just started...

The truck is/was built to be a daily driver, so very simple, basic and quick mods were done. Being that the truck is also stored outside, I couldn't get too crazy. Additionally, my uncle who I bought the truck from is a huge influence on myself and my projects, so building something the way he would was one of the buggest driving forces behind parts selection and overall design.

So far building the truck has been a rather rewarding experience. Aside form the fact that I've had issues with EVERY parts supplier out there, I'm still optimistic about the project. We still plan to tear apart the interior one more time and rebuild it form scratch, then replace the engine and trans, and a better riding suspension. All will present challenges, not the least of which being my own financial situations, but in the end, its always worth eating mac-n-cheese for a week so I can get a new part.

I have to hand it to my friends at Arc Audio and Auto Radio Stereo. They've been instrumental in helping me along with this project and are continuing to show great support for both my project and family. Its one of the best parts of building a truck and seeking outside help. Many times, that outside help can become an extension of your family.

What is your favorite memory with your truck?
This one is easy, and I wasn't even really there for it... A while after my uncle sold me the truck, I hooked up with the family at Arc Audio and we decided that we liked the idea of putting my truck in Arc Audio's booth at the Sacramento Autorama. It was the first show I would ever attend with my own car and it felt great. It was also the last show I would ever attend with my uncle. He passed away from cancer later that year, but I was very proud that I was able to display his old truck. I wasn't there when he walked by the truck, we met up shortly after, but I could tell that he was proud of me.

Besides that fact that the truck once belonged to my uncle, I love my stereo. Ever since I was a baby, I liked anything ath made noise. All of my toys made some kind of squeak, rattle, or bang, so when I grew up and my toys got bigger, car stereos were a natrual transistion. We plan to actually tear the system out soon and rework the interior again. This time with bucket seats and a single, high output sub woofer and studio quality amplifiers. Additionally, I'm looking into a new E-Rod emissions legal crate motor and also some suspension pieces form Porterbuilt, but I have to wait until I get back from Texas to play with anything.

Additionally, I hope to use the truck as a tool to promote local shops and businesses that help me with my builds. Right now I'm organizing two car shows/stereo competitions and we're talking about doing two more before the year is out. I want to get people excited about cars again and help gain some exposure for the shops that I work with. These guys have become more than my mechanics and fabricators, they've become my friends and anyone who knows me will tell you I'd give you the shirt off my back if I knew it would help you.

What words of advice do you have to people who are just starting out with their project?
Read. Extensively. Also, get out to car shows and see what you like, whats new, whats old, whats timeless. Remember that crazy graphics get dated, huge stereos get old/broken, and wheel trends change faster than your socks. Clean, classy and quality never age, break, or really change much.

If you dont know the answer to a question, ask someone who knows. Also, know when something is over your head and dont be afraid to go to a professional.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.

Last edited by AceX; 03-23-2011 at 06:05 AM.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote