The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
realsteelGM

Engine swap-inline 6 to 283

Anyone know of swapping out an inline 6 to a 283? The 283 is the stock engine in my 67 truck and I'm getting close to pulling the 6 out and sinking the 8 into it. I was told the front mounting brackets need to be moved forward, is this true? Also will I need to alter the drive shaft length, will I need a different bellhousing? Will I need a different flywheel and pressure plate size?
Thanks
Old 03-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
bhoeger70

Re: Engine swap-inline 6 to 283

If you move the motor mount towers foward to the stock v8 position you will also need to lengthen the drive shaft, move the crossmember for the trans/bellhousing. The v8 will bolt right in you can even use the same motor mount if they are in good shape, you will need to do a small amount of mods to the clutch linkage but it not that big of deal. If your 6 is a 250 you will be able to use the flywheel and bellhousing and clutch. Make sure the crank on the 283 has the pilot bushing in the back of it, and that it is not worn.

Last edited by bhoeger70; 03-28-2010 at 11:01 AM.
bhoeger70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
realsteelGM

Talking Re: Engine swap-inline 6 to 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoeger70 View Post
If you move the motor mount towers foward to the stock v8 position you will also need to lengthen the drive shaft, move the crossmember for the trans/bellhousing. The v8 will bolt right in you can even use the same motor mount if they are in good shape, you will need to do a small amount of mods to the clutch linkage but it not that big of deal. If your 6 is a 250 you will be able to use the flywheel and bellhousing and clutch. Make sure the crank on the 283 has the pilot bushing in the back of it, and that it is not worn.
Thanks for that info bhoeger, so the v8 originaly bolts in that forward position?Would it be best to go with a new or used drive shaft or modify the old one? I take it the cross member on the tranny will not affect where the gear shift is located?
So you live in North Dakota, thats cool! Always wanted to see the Dakota's, I live next to Alaska in Yukon, Canada.
Thanks again,
Denny
Old 03-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
bhoeger70

Re: Engine swap-inline 6 to 283

Unless you want to put it back to factory stock just pull the 6cyl out and bolt the v8 in its place, you wont need to move anything no changing the driveshaft or moving the mounts.