The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
Missyblue

Removed fuel tank have some rust what would you do

As I mentioned we were excited to get power in cab fuel tank removed but underneath I definitely have some light to moderate rusting issues with some pitting. The truck is already been painted so not sure sandblasting is an option. I've read about different rust treatment things such as POR 15 and Eastman products just curious if any of you have opinions or thoughts? I've also read about some gels and products tht are supposed to help dissolve the rust. Or do I attack it with some sort of sanding/grinding blade. Oh and light rust under the old headliner too
Attached Images

Last edited by Missyblue; 07-29-2018 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Photos
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Removed fuel tank have some rust what would you do

I'm thinking wire cup brush and rust converter. Not a big fan of doing it that way but it may be your best option.

You could mask it off and sand blast it without too many problems with a small sandblaster. My little Sears blaster doesn't cover a lot of area at one time. Messy inside a cab though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
Missyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'm thinking wire cup brush and rust converter. Not a big fan of doing it that way but it may be your best option.

You could mask it off and sand blast it without too many problems with a small sandblaster. My little Sears blaster doesn't cover a lot of area at one time. Messy inside a cab though.
Oh sweet didn't realize there were small blasters I'll take a look at that thanks! the cab is a demolition mess anyways haha. I was thinking i couldnt get it to a big shop as we don't have a trailer and wasn't realizing they had smaller options.

Also do you have any experience with any specific rust converters?
Old 07-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
Missyblue

Mr48chevy
Something like this? Or what do you have if you don't mind me asking
https://m.sears.com/search=craftsman...r%20kit%20with
Old 07-30-2018, 11:01 AM   #5
b-mac

https://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-...gun-95793.html

Harbor Freight makes this little gun. I have a friend who uses his regularly.

But with that paint in there (and blasting inside a cab is awful...you'll find sand for years) I would definitely just use POR on the inside of the cab. Probably the same on that other part. Do as much mechanical removal as you can without damaging paint. Then POR over what's left.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
Missyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mac View Post
https://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-...gun-95793.html

Harbor Freight makes this little gun. I have a friend who uses his regularly.

But with that paint in there (and blasting inside a cab is awful...you'll find sand for years) I would definitely just use POR on the inside of the cab. Probably the same on that other part. Do as much mechanical removal as you can without damaging paint. Then POR over what's left.
Awesome thank you b-mac
Old 07-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #7
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyblue View Post
Mr48chevy
Something like this? Or what do you have if you don't mind me asking
https://m.sears.com/search=craftsman...r%20kit%20with
That's the one I have and I think with replacing the hose I have more in my used one than that. It's great for small projects though.
Attached Images

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
Wrenchbender Ret

Get some Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. Blow away the loose stuff & spray it with that. I have used it for years. It seals the rust & leaves a tough coating. You can paint it the next day.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #9
mr48chev

That was basically what I was suggesting with taking a cup brush on an angle grinder to it and putting the rust converter on it. Several ways do do it and help it last for a long time to come.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
Missyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
Get some Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. Blow away the loose stuff & spray it with that. I have used it for years. It seals the rust & leaves a tough coating. You can paint it the next day.
Awesome. I'm glad to hear that. I had purchased some of the rustoleum rusty metal primer as I can get it local but was wondering how it held up. Funny I hadnt thought about it but I actually put a rustoleum clear enamel on rusty roof metal and put it in my shower as a wall and it's held up for 2 years and hasn't rusted through!

And thanks mr48 Chevy I'll checkout the cup brush and start there. I'll definitely look into the 2 suggested sandblaster sounds useful but maybe not in the cab like b-mac said but hey I live in the country so good luck she will always be dusty haha

Thanks again
Old 07-31-2018, 07:29 PM   #11
sack54

use a rust converter like rust Mort and then paint . Paint is the only way to stop rust look up miracle paint, better than Por

http://www.tptools.com/Bill-Hirsch-M...aint,2553.html
sack54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #12
Missyblue

so attacking my rust today. Have a wire cup brush which I feel kinda smooths but more so polishes my rust haha. bought a different disk and it's doing better I think as I'm finding some shiny metal but I have a bit of pitting in the floor pans area. guy had it hidden pretty well under spray Bedliner 😣

Any suggestions of tools that might be better? or is this ok?

Also those that suggested sandblasting. trying to research mediums to use. any recommendations for what medium might be best in your experience? going to do wheel well area which is just needing light cleaning and then the floor pans and area from fuel tank that has heavier duty rust

I was planning a path of rust stop products but thought the more I can remove 1st the better especially the scaly stuff. you can see I am finding some raw metal but have along ways to go.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #13
b-mac

I think you're on the right track. Those black fiber disc things you are using work pretty well.

I also have pretty good luck with these things:

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...2Cf&q=abrasive

But I use an old, crappy, plug-in drill. Good for inner corners and such.

I was in the exact same spot as you, and I decided to blast the inside of my cab.
I live in a fancy-smanchy neighborhood, so I did it inside my garage, inside a tent basically. It was freaking awful, and probably took years off my life.
If I could go back, I would not have done it.
Either send the whole thing out to have a professional blast it, or clean what you can, convert it or POR whatever, and get to driving it faster.
Whatever you do, the truck will probably outlive you...

That said, I use coal slag for blasting. Good for rust, cheap, and won't give you lung cancer. Sand works much better, but do a little research on silica, and you'll change your mind.

Any of the other media probably won't touch your rust.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #14
b-mac

Sandblasting tent of death pics... (as mentioned above)

You can really see my progress on that A-pillar. And I'll admit, clean metal does look pretty.

Last edited by b-mac; 08-16-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #15
Missyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mac View Post
Sandblasting tent of death pics... (as mentioned above)

You can really see my progress on that A-pillar. And I'll admit, clean metal does look pretty.

Haha sorry but your tent of death gave me a good laugh thanks! I'm in the country so no one to bother but myself really thankfully. I make much less noise than the neighboring tractors. that's a cool looking truck by the way!
Thanks for the I info I'm trying the drill before I go to blasting not so sure of my comfort level going there. definitely will research the mediums you suggested.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #16
OrrieG

On those two places I used various grinding devices and POR 15 on the floor. Note the metal prep requires water wash to neutralize so that might prevent use on an already painted cab. I used brush on Restoleum for the headliner area. My me no
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #17
Missyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
On those two places I used various grinding devices and POR 15 on the floor. Note the metal prep requires water wash to neutralize so that might prevent use on an already painted cab. I used brush on Restoleum for the headliner area. My me no
yeah I'm not sure about the wash. thanks for the input. I bought a degreaser and I got cans of this 2 step rustoleum to use because of local availibilty and since I like that my daughter can help me paint it on. she's helping build the truck and is 4 haha and the por 15 sounds intense. plus I read pros and cons to all types so figure I will take my chances with this. have a rusty roof metal shower wall I covered with rustoleum clear and 2.5 years later it hasn't broke through or rusted more that I can tell

I made some good progress yesterday. more shiny metal yay! forgot to he a picture
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #18
dsraven

a knotted wire cup brush works really well. if you have a couple of extra bucks grab a cheap disc grinder at harbour freight or something, it will save your wrists and the drill plus has more power than the drill has and more control if you hit an edge or something. if you do buy an el cheapo deluxe grinder, like a 4 or 4 1/2" model, you may also find a flap disc is pretty handy for the flat stuff. it will remove metal though. if you have a rental place nearby check into an electric die grinder and then use the proper wire wheel for the speed, better than a drill because it turns faster and they do sell knotted wire cups for the 1/4" shank.
for the roof, scrape what you can, do a quick sand and then paint with some good rust paint, like advised. wire wheel may build up heat in spots and try to warp the roof panel. better safe than sorry.
on the floor, when done put a good strong light under the truck and then look from the top side for any bright spots that may be shining through. you don't want any pin holes. caulk them up before or after painting, before will leave the floor all the same colour. autobody seam sealer should work and paint will stick to it.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #19
dsraven

when wire wheeling ALWAYS wear coveralls or loose clothing and safety glasses or a face shield. the wire tends to come out at a high rate of speed and will stick into you like a needle. trust me, I know.....particulate mask as well as leather gloves.
end of rant
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:56 PM   #20
Matt_50

Definently safety glasses, better yet goggles. He's right, sticks in you... I wish I had just sand blasted, I used a bunch of wire wheels. Lots of flying needles...
Old 08-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #21
hogfarm

I did have a rust resolver I think it was called "defender",came from when I worked at the Hydo electric plants,it works real good,to use it just knock off the loose rust,then cover with POR 15
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #22
b-mac

Thought I should pass along the after effects of sandblasting my cab interior.

Anytime I bump this thing, I get a shower of sand/rust/coal-slag that falls out of the upper rear part of the cab. I've used vacuums and compressed air to try to get it all out. Think it's gone....work on it a little....more sand.

Before I paint it, I think I'll put it on an open trailer and drive it to Canada and back.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #23
Missyblue

b-mac that's look s awesome though so maybe worth the sand?!? But again sorry to laugh but you made my day with the Canada comment.

Thanks for all the advice and concern I'll post a picture later of my gear and progress darn work is getting in the way of progress blah