The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
HRD

Rochester B rebuiding ?

Does anyone have a simple way of removing/getting the power piston out of a Rochester B carburetor?
I'm in the process of rebuilding mine but I am having a very hard time getting it to pull out.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Rochester B rebuiding ?

Here's one way: https://youtu.be/D3j1r27R2mA
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
HRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Thanks,
I finally got it a bit ago. Heated the whole top in a toaster over @ 200 for a few minutes and then was able to get it out. It was still tight though.
Thanks for that video. Wish I had had it last night. Sure would have save a lot of @#$%^%$.
This is my first carburetor rebuild, but knew it was suppose to come out of there.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:57 PM   #4
HRD

Now I can't get the plunger to freely move without binding. I tried it in another carburetor and it moves find with no binding. Took that plunger that I had removed from the other carb and it binds in this horn/top also.
Are there anyway that anyone knows to repair that? I've cleaned it as best as I feel it can be cleaned. I can't see what it could be binding on either.
ALSO… can anyone tell me what is suppose to be the stock carb for a 62 Chevy truck with a 235 motor?
Old 08-22-2018, 11:06 PM   #5
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD View Post
ALSO… can anyone tell me what is suppose to be the stock carb for a 62 Chevy truck with a 235 motor?
No, but this guy can:
http://www.carburetor-blog.com/
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #6
HRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
No, but this guy can:
http://www.carburetor-blog.com/
Thanks. I sent him an email. I'll post what he replies back when he does.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #7
HRD

Quote:
Thanks. I sent him an email. I'll post what he replies back when he does.
And Mike's reply...Very quick to reply

Rochester B carbs were original to your application, but as you've discovered there are several different versions of the B carb. As for a replacement I highly recommend our N228 which is built to replace Rochester B carbs. It works on manual choke set ups only. There is an external adjustable main jet and a 360* adjustable throttle connector.
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Repl...-B_p_4411.html

If I truly knew more about the motor or it's condition I might would just go that route. A rebuild is gonna cost me half that and it might be one of many things besides the carburetor causing the miss it has.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
68gmsee

Quote:
.....A rebuild is gonna cost me half that and it might be one of many things besides the carburetor causing the miss it has.
A kit would be a lot less than a rebuild and unless the person doing the rebuild has done these before, may not be as good as you doing it yourself. If yours is not leaking at the throttle shaft, these carbs are super easy to work on. There are several YouTube videos showing the procedure to rebuild one and it will help you in future repairs.

In YouTube search, type "rebuild a rochester b carburetor" or similar and you will get several hits.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
Old 08-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #9
HRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
A kit would be a lot less than a rebuild and unless the person doing the rebuild has done these before, may not be as good as you doing it yourself. If yours is not leaking at the throttle shaft, these carbs are super easy to work on. There are several YouTube videos showing the procedure to rebuild one and it will help you in future repairs.

In YouTube search, type "rebuild a rochester b carburetor" or similar and you will get several hits.
I was rebuilding mine with a kit. The power valve (piston) keeps binding in the bore that it slips/sets in on the top and I don't know of a way to fix that. Thought about honing it out if I could find the correct size hone.
I haven't found the bore hole size posted anywhere yet. I miked the piston to be 11/32nd's.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #10
68gmsee

Yeah, I guess the binding piston can be a problem. The reason I mentioned doing your own work is that there are very few carburetor pros out there these days and the few that are there are not cheap. Years ago I bought a rebuilt one from a local auto shop and it was worse than the one I had. It's the reason I do my own work on the single barrel Rochesters. I bought some cheap ebay ones to use for parts. It may be the way you will need to go if the power piston hole is badly corroded.