The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #26
joedoh

Re: Bare Metal Look

he didnt ask for advice. I didnt say he did either.

I think all he has learned from your profound life experiences is not to ask.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #27
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
he didnt ask for advice. I didnt say he did either.

I think all he has learned from your profound life experiences is not to ask.
I'm sorry Joe, but this is his post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mains52 View Post
What do you guys think. I have really been liking the bare metal cleared look lately. I think it definitely saves me a lot of time as far as getting my truck on the road. I have bed mounts to make and a rear swap to do and I am ready for finish welding my s10 swap. I am moving to a family farm within a year or two so Id really like to have my truck drivable before then.
The very first line is "what do you guys think," So I told him what I thought.

It's an opinion, we know that. I went way out there, I guess there could be a discussion on if I went too far or was rude or something, yeah I can see that.

But the question was "what do you guys think?"

And like my previous post advice asked is advice given, what we do with that advice is the thing. I am fine with him not taking my advice, it's his truck. I have said it over and over, if the whole Goodguys event was with 3000 cars just like I like them, it would be BORING. I love seeing all the different stuff and have learned to like many things at first site I didn't.

Thank goodness this isn't my wife asking.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #28
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
The very first line is "what do you guys think," So I told him what I thought.

yes, what do you guys think, as in "this is what I am doing what do you think?", not "give me your advice and life stories supporting it"

your first reply is an off hand slap likening bare metal trucks to face tattoos. thats not a "maybe I went too far", brother.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:58 PM   #29
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
yes, what do you guys think, as in "this is what I am doing what do you think?", not "give me your advice and life stories supporting it"

your first reply is an off hand slap likening bare metal trucks to face tattoos. thats not a "maybe I went too far", brother.
I'll accept that, sorry.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #30
NorCalGal

I like the bare metal look but everything I read says that even with clear coat it will start rusting. The other option is to do a regular coat of Gibbs oil with a scotch brite pad ,because it can be removed from the metal easily if you do decide to paint.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #31
DA68

The guys on the H.A.M.B. recommend Gibbs and say it doesn't require that much maintenance. I'll be doing this on a '67, very soon...
DA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #32
mr48chev

Well As I said earlier, the original reason to show up with your rig in bare metal was to show your metal working skills off with a finely metal worked body that was as near perfection as you could get before you rolled it back in the shop for paint prep and paint.

Now it is just a fad for guy hunting attention who strip one down to bare metal with no boy work and parade around.

That said, to each their own, as long as the truck is safe to drive on the streets and events the rest of us can either like it, not like it or not care. No doubt you will get tired of the "when you going to finish it"? or when you going to paint it"? questions but that will at least tell you it gets noticed.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #33
Mains52

Hey guys I wasn't trying to start any wars over it. I hadn't been on in a while and had been thinking of what to do body and paint wise. I respect all of the opinions on here. Because I like to change my mind so much, my bet is that my truck will have a paint job on it. My dad was a autobody guy for a lot of years an he keeps saying why do all this work and not paint it nice. So we shall see.
Mains52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #34
dsraven

I'm with your dear old dad, why do all that work and not finish it with a nice paint job. that's just me, and I have been called old school more than once (along with a few other choice words, lol)
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #35
Mains52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I'm with your dear old dad, why do all that work and not finish it with a nice paint job. that's just me, and I have been called old school more than once (along with a few other choice words, lol)
Yeah my first idea was a flat Dodge Prairie Pearl color with blacked out grill and trim pieces. Truthfully now that I am switching back to an original frame my new focus will be on suspension and drive train first.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #36
dsraven

I am sure you have had some autobody input but epoxy prime stuff as you go then assemble and drive it for a little bit so you can work out the squeaks and rattles or other stuff you didn't think of or things that need a little tweak here or there. then when you have it right and are satisfied pull it apart as required for the paint. it always sucks to get it together and painted and then find out something needs a little rework and then you end up blending the new paint job because something got scratched or you had to cut or weld something.
just my thoughts on the subject
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #37
Mains52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I am sure you have had some autobody input but epoxy prime stuff as you go then assemble and drive it for a little bit so you can work out the squeaks and rattles or other stuff you didn't think of or things that need a little tweak here or there. then when you have it right and are satisfied pull it apart as required for the paint. it always sucks to get it together and painted and then find out something needs a little rework and then you end up blending the new paint job because something got scratched or you had to cut or weld something.
just my thoughts on the subject
Cool thanks for the tips!
Old 12-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #38
nail pounder

I knew someone with a bare metal truck cleared, but after a couple years the clear started coming off in sheets. Is there a correct way to apply clear to raw metal? Can you get enough tooth and still retain the look? I prefer paint, and have no facial tattoos so I'm strictly asking for my own knowledge.
nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #39
58SkuzBukit

I’m on the fence with this as well. I like the fact that I don’t mind people getting close to the truck, sitting a beer on the bed rail, or get ashes on it. Now if I spent the time and energy laying paint, I now for a fact my stance will change on that. Or maybe I’ll leave the colors of Old Glory on it.... she’s red white and blue right now from different panels from different trucks
58SkuzBukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #40
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I get it like I get this.

Brian
I do not really wish to be a derogatory, but sheesh that dude is not going to like sanding and refinishing!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote