The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #26
jocko

Re: Bench Seat Cover Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Looks awesome. Just like a 1st grader installed it.
I might be wrong, but I don’t believe it’s installed on anything, just propped up to show the cover by itself.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #27
Richard2112

Re: Bench Seat Cover Research - Prices - Sources - Vendors

This thread will become very useful to me shortly...when I get my roof to stop leaking.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #28
upholster2

81-87 Houndstooth cloth inserts
Attached Images

upholster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #29
tucsonjwt

I had my bench seat and recovered by a local upholstery shop for $250. It turned out nice and the fabric and vinyl were close to the original equipment, if not an exact match.

I had him use denser foam and thicker foam so the seat would not sag under the weight of my fat butt. After about 25K miles of use it seems to be holding up well. I do ride a little high in the saddle but that is OK with me.

I also had him recover the headliner for $40. I have the thick foam style headliner so it was an easy job - it just force fits into place under the trim. - no glue required.

On the other hand, he did a bad job on the floor carpet, so I would choose one of the online vendors of carpets and do it myself if I had it to do over again.

I have Husky Liners and used some black exercise mat to cover the transmission hump and the exposed edges of the floor by the doors, so very little of the carpet shows. I have an SM465 so the transmission hump requires a bit more work to accommodate the floor shifter.

If you have not checked with local upholstery shops you should do so. They have access to a lot of OEM fabric sources that we don"t. They might even have some material on hand that would match what you need. At least they will have samples on hand so you can see exactly what you will get.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote