The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question Ramp truck winch??????????

I got 2 deep cycle 6 volt batteries. I wired them for 12 volts to run the winch on the ramp truck. I just installed them today so I'm charging them with my 12 volt charger.

My question is how would I wire them to the truck alternator so I can charge them while driving the truck? Also do you think the alternator would even charge them? What do I need to hook it up. I have plenty of cables and I have a blue sea switch that I can mount to turn it off from the system If I need to.
Spec are 48 volts DC max @ 300amps. Shouldn't have any trouble with it.

Right now I have 2 deep cycle 6 volts wired in series to = 12 volts. They are wired to the winch.
If I put a small size cable from the alternator to the cutoff switch then to the + of the first 6 volt battery then ground the 2-6 volt battery to the chassis, that's all I need right?
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
Tiger Joe

Re: Ramp truck winch??????????

Your thinking sounds correct to me. We have an old international backhoe that was 12 volt but originally used 2 6s. We did a one wire alt conversion and just ran that wire to the + of the final battery
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:16 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Ramp truck winch??????????

I think instead of the manual cutoff switch I'll use one of my old golf cart contactor's and have it where I can turn it on/off from inside the truck whenever I need to.
It's good for 400amps which should be plenty.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
lowbucktrucks

I used a battery isolater When I wired my camper 12v deep cycle battery. It look like a ford starter solenoid, but is rated for contentious duty, seems like it was around $30, and allowed me to separate the batteries when I was camping so I didn't run the truck batteries down. You can wire them where 12v hot from ignition turns them on,or do like I did, and put a lighted switch on the dash (so its harder to screw up and leave them on.)
I've watched your builds with intrerest, Hi from upstate sc, I'm near Chesnee (northeast of Spartanburg)
lowbucktrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbucktrucks View Post
I used a battery isolater When I wired my camper 12v deep cycle battery. It look like a ford starter solenoid, but is rated for contentious duty, seems like it was around $30, and allowed me to separate the batteries when I was camping so I didn't run the truck batteries down. You can wire them where 12v hot from ignition turns them on,or do like I did, and put a lighted switch on the dash (so its harder to screw up and leave them on.)
I've watched your builds with intrerest, Hi from upstate sc, I'm near Chesnee (northeast of Spartanburg)
Thanks, yes when this contactor opens it will cut the winch off from the truck battery. This will be done by as you stated a 12 volt lighted switch mounted on the dash so if it on it's charging if off it's not.
I may have to replace the alternator also to handle the amps????

Have you joined our Face Book club yet? You need to man we have a good bunch of people locally.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #6
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I wired the rear battery in series with the battery in front in Brutus and used a 105 amp alternator from a mid 80's IROC and never had a problem. I just it them charge both batteries all the time. I never had a problem with that setup for 10+ years hauling 100's of cars (lots of them with no wheels and tires) in that time. I did use 2 800 CCA batteries. My truck has rear side boxes, so I mounted one in the box right under the winch.

I always pulled cars up on the truck with the engine running.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
I wired the rear battery in series with the battery in front in Brutus and used a 105 amp alternator from a mid 80's IROC and never had a problem. I just it them charge both batteries all the time. I never had a problem with that setup for 10+ years hauling 100's of cars (lots of them with no wheels and tires) in that time. I did use 2 800 CCA batteries. My truck has rear side boxes, so I mounted one in the box right under the winch.

I always pulled cars up on the truck with the engine running.

Thanks this is the kind of info I was looking for.

If I connect a cable between the truck battery and both 6 volt deep batteries with the contactor I pictured I can charge them whenever I need to. I shouldn't need a wire ran from the alternator to the extra batteries they should charge through the truck battery. I can turn the charging off also by flipping the dash mounted switch.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Thanks this is the kind of info I was looking for.

If I connect a cable between the truck battery and both 6 volt deep batteries with the contactor I pictured I can charge them whenever I need to. I shouldn't need a wire ran from the alternator to the extra batteries they should charge through the truck battery. I can turn the charging off also by flipping the dash mounted switch.
Yes, that worked for me, except I didn't have the switch. Knowing my luck, I'd have that switch off by mistake and I'd need to use the winch. 😂

The 383 in my truck was pushing the limits of a pump gas iron headed engine, and it would drag the starter just a little on hot 95+ Degree southern summer days before I put the extra battery in. Never happened again after that. It could help guys with cold weather starting up north too, I'd think.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:19 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Ramp truck winch??????????

Good deal. The drivers side valve cover took on some damage while getting the manifold off so I took both covers off and will get new gaskets for them and reinstall. I straighted out the flange are best I could. I'll buy some good rubber gaskets for them and RTV them in good.
You can see they have been leaking for awhile!
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-26-2018, 07:34 PM   #10
jeffahart

I would just get some 0 or 00 and run the cable to the front battery, with one size larger grounded back to the battery. If I had an isolated deep cycle aux battery, I would still power the winch from the starting battery. The winch likes the CCA. If you winch a lot get two decent batteries with the cold cranking amps in mind. Winches like juice, and the startup bump can be a heavy amp load. It's why you want your cutoff to be something with a working rating of say 300 amps but a surge rating or 1000+. If I have a cutoff, I like it near the winch clutch. I've never used a deep cycle for a winch, and I've never isolated the winching battery from my starting battery. But there's lots of opinions on that for sure. I just like simple, because it's simpler!

j
Old 03-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
I would just get some 0 or 00 and run the cable to the front battery, with one size larger grounded back to the battery. If I had an isolated deep cycle aux battery, I would still power the winch from the starting battery. The winch likes the CCA. If you winch a lot get two decent batteries with the cold cranking amps in mind. Winches like juice, and the startup bump can be a heavy amp load. It's why you want your cutoff to be something with a working rating of say 300 amps but a surge rating or 1000+. If I have a cutoff, I like it near the winch clutch. I've never used a deep cycle for a winch, and I've never isolated the winching battery from my starting battery. But there's lots of opinions on that for sure. I just like simple, because it's simpler!
j
This want be used to much I hope. It's main chore will be hauling my custom bikes and pedal cars!
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #12
jeffahart

Quote:
This want be used to much I hope. It's main chore will be hauling my custom bikes and pedal cars!
Gotcha! Plus, if you don't have a long length of the heavy gauge laying around... you could buy a whole truck for the price of wire these days!

j
Old 03-27-2018, 11:44 AM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Gotcha! Plus, if you don't have a long length of the heavy gauge laying around... you could buy a whole truck for the price of wire these days!
j

I have some cable I think some where. I'll look once it starts warming up and I get over this dang cold.
I want it operational only if I need a emergency tow for one of the other toy's.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #14
jeffahart

Quote:

I have some cable I think some where. I'll look once it starts warming up and I get over this dang cold.
I want it operational only if I need a emergency tow for one of the other toy's.
Nice cars! My first car I got when I was 15 was a 56 wagon, candy apple red. Took me awhile to figure out where to put the gas first time I went to the station! My dad hated that car... or me with that car!

You should carry a come along too, just till you get a reliable setup. You can winch a foot then chalk, winch a foot then chalk. Or, take your son and make him push the stuff up there!

j
Old 03-27-2018, 11:07 PM   #15
outfield

Depending on the size of the winch Warn recommends a battery with at least 650 cases. Do you kno the cra of your 6 volt batteries? You would add the two together to get the total. Make sure to run both winch battery cables to the battery terminals. Don't run the ground cable to the frame. Try to mount the batteries as close to the winch as possible to avoid voltage drop through the cable length too.
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:03 AM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Ramp truck winch??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfield View Post
Depending on the size of the winch Warn recommends a battery with at least 650 cases. Do you kno the cra of your 6 volt batteries? You would add the two together to get the total. Make sure to run both winch battery cables to the battery terminals. Don't run the ground cable to the frame. Try to mount the batteries as close to the winch as possible to avoid voltage drop through the cable length too.
Thanks for the info. No I don't know them off the top of my head but will check.
Why do you need to run the ground back to the truck battery? Just curious?Yes the 2-6 volts are right beside the winch with no more cable than needed.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #17
jeffahart

Quote:
Thanks for the info. No I don't know them off the top of my head but will check.
Why do you need to run the ground back to the truck battery? Just curious?Yes the 2-6 volts are right beside the winch with no more cable than needed.
Actually, do both! You just want a good path to ground. If you end up with the motor under an extreme load, things could get pretty hot. I have my setup grounded to chassis and #2 to battery ground, both off the same winch connection. For such a short run into a flat bed truck, that is smooth and easy, it may not be an issue. You can double check all your ground straps and be OK. But if your doing heavy winching you might want to ground to battery. Lot's of setups just do the frame ground. The true fact is... you don't know something is too hot till you smell it! And, what's that smell?

j
Old 03-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #18
Andy4639
Old member

Well I decided to move the 2-6 volts to the passenger side of the bed. This will make for a shorter run to the truck battery. shorter is better!
Well in this case!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club