The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #51
ccreddell

Re: T56 Shifter Location Change

Make that three if us....
ccreddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #52
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

Ok here's the cheaper way: (I spent less than half the price of the keisler kit)

Some of this won't make much sense to folks that haven't been inside a T56 before (I build a lot of these things). You still have to partially disassemble the trans to do this, just like the keisler kit. What you do is replace the factory t56 front offset lever with an offset lever for a TR6060 out of a CTS-V. The GM part number is 19210307. Here's what it looks like:

And here is the t56 variant you're replacing:

The issue here is the tr6060 uses a completely different shifter detent system than the t56 does, as well as a different shift rail diameter in the tail housing. With the tr6060 offset lever, you lose all of the t56 detent system, as well as the entire shift rail aft of the offset lever (so no more reverse lockout mechanism). You lose the "neutral gate" in the t56 offset lever that the spring loaded detent ball rides in (screwed in from pass side of trans). So you have to take a die grinder or dremel and create your own neutral gate in the tr6060 offset lever for that detent ball to ride in. Takes some careful grinding and you can't go too deep in the lever because the detent ball only sticks out so far and you don't want the ball to lose contact with your detent.

Once the neutral gate is there, you have to make some "stops" at the end of the shifter travel for the gate in each gear. This is pretty easy to do, just a little grinding at the fore/aft ends of the pad that the detent ball rides against. This isn't critical, as there are internal gate stops for each gear to stop an overshift. You're just creating a little better shifter "feel" here.

(Hope this part isn't against rules to post)
Once the tr6060 offset lever is modified, I went to a company called core shifters for a shifter base. He makes custom shifter bases from Hurst Billet components for Tremec transmissions. He offers a base for a mid shift conversion for TR6060 applications, and since you have a tr6060 receptacle in your T56 now, his shifter bolts right up. He offers different fulcrum heights as well, so you can adjust how long your throws are. I went with the 3.22" fulcrum, and with a 12" tall stick my throws are super short just like I wanted. Here is how my shifter location ended up:

swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:53 PM   #53
Stereojnky

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb85 View Post
Ok here's the cheaper way: (I spent less than half the price of the keisler kit)

Some of this won't make much sense to folks that haven't been inside a T56 before (I build a lot of these things). You still have to partially disassemble the trans to do this, just like the keisler kit. What you do is replace the factory t56 front offset lever with an offset lever for a TR6060 out of a CTS-V. The GM part number is 19210307.
The issue here is the tr6060 uses a completely different shifter detent system than the t56 does, as well as a different shift rail diameter in the tail housing. With the tr6060 offset lever, you lose all of the t56 detent system, as well as the entire shift rail aft of the offset lever (so no more reverse lockout mechanism). You lose the "neutral gate" in the t56 offset lever that the spring loaded detent ball rides in (screwed in from pass side of trans). So you have to take a die grinder or dremel and create your own neutral gate in the tr6060 offset lever for that detent ball to ride in. Takes some careful grinding and you can't go too deep in the lever because the detent ball only sticks out so far and you don't want the ball to lose contact with your detent.

Once the neutral gate is there, you have to make some "stops" at the end of the shifter travel for the gate in each gear. This is pretty easy to do, just a little grinding at the fore/aft ends of the pad that the detent ball rides against. This isn't critical, as there are internal gate stops for each gear to stop an overshift. You're just creating a little better shifter "feel" here.

(Hope this part isn't against rules to post)
Once the tr6060 offset lever is modified, I went to a company called core shifters for a shifter base. He makes custom shifter bases from Hurst Billet components for Tremec transmissions. He offers a base for a mid shift conversion for TR6060 applications, and since you have a tr6060 receptacle in your T56 now, his shifter bolts right up. He offers different fulcrum heights as well, so you can adjust how long your throws are. I went with the 3.22" fulcrum, and with a 12" tall stick my throws are super short just like I wanted.
Since you still have to disassemble the trans anyway, I found the Mcleod socket adapter at Jeg's part #82-1001 for $120 shipped and you get to keep the reverse lockout.
I like your solution and even considered it before i found the McLeod piece. The guy at core shifters says he can make his shifter fit the McLeod part.
Stereojnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:21 AM   #54
swb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojnky View Post
Since you still have to disassemble the trans anyway, I found the Mcleod socket adapter at Jeg's part #82-1001 for $120 shipped and you get to keep the reverse lockout.
I like your solution and even considered it before i found the McLeod piece. The guy at core shifters says he can make his shifter fit the McLeod part.
Awesome find! Didn't know such a piece existed. Little pricey, but probably worth it for a bolt-in piece. Still considerably cheaper paired with a core shifter base than the $400 kits out there. Thanks for posting!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:53 PM   #55
Stereojnky

Quote:
Awesome find! Didn't know such a piece existed. Little pricey, but probably worth it for a bolt-in piece. Still considerably cheaper paired with a core shifter base than the $400 kits out there. Thanks for posting!
Thanks man!
Yeah for $40-$50 more you can keep that function and the ability to return to stock if need be.
How do you like the gear ratios on the stock t56? Any regrets on not going with the magnum?
Old 08-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #56
swb85

Quote:
Thanks man!
Yeah for $40-$50 more you can keep that function and the ability to return to stock if need be.
How do you like the gear ratios on the stock t56? Any regrets on not going with the magnum?
After I put the t56 in the truck I swapped the rear gears to 4.11s and it's an absolute riot now....love it! Perfect gear spacing 1 thru 4 and can cruise 75mph in sixth at only ~1700rpm.
No need for a magnum at this power level. I've been playing with t56s for a long time, I build lots of them. The tranny in my truck was actually the spare out of my camaro (I run a faceplated t56 in it). The spare had 4 seasons of 650-700rwhp on it....I just put new fork pads on and slapped it in the truck and it hasn't batted an eye! Once you start creeping up on 800 ft lbs, it's time for a magnum for the additional torque capacity. I'll be pushing the t56 in the camaro to it's limits with the new turbos.....I'll find out exactly where the boom point is soon enough lol.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #57
Stereojnky

Quote:
After I put the t56 in the truck I swapped the rear gears to 4.11s and it's an absolute riot now....love it! Perfect gear spacing 1 thru 4 and can cruise 75mph in sixth at only ~1700rpm.
No need for a magnum at this power level. I've been playing with t56s for a long time, I build lots of them. The tranny in my truck was actually the spare out of my camaro (I run a faceplated t56 in it). The spare had 4 seasons of 650-700rwhp on it....I just put new fork pads on and slapped it in the truck and it hasn't batted an eye! Once you start creeping up on 800 ft lbs, it's time for a magnum for the additional torque capacity. I'll be pushing the t56 in the camaro to it's limits with the new turbos.....I'll find out exactly where the boom point is soon enough lol.
Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear. I was more concerned about the gear spacing than the strength.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #58
Custom 68

Quote:
so... To help me understand this what is this McLeod piece? I found the picture and understand that but what is required to do the swap to the mid shift location using that piece?
Any info or pictures would be great. I am running mine currently and you are correct it is a blast but I ended up making a shifter to "move" the rear portion forward.
Thanks a ton
David
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #59
Stereojnky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
so... To help me understand this what is this McLeod piece? I found the picture and understand that but what is required to do the swap to the mid shift location using that piece?
Any info or pictures would be great. I am running mine currently and you are correct it is a blast but I ended up making a shifter to "move" the rear portion forward.
Thanks a ton
David
Quote:

The issue here is the tr6060 uses a completely different shifter detent system than the t56 does, as well as a different shift rail diameter in the tail housing. With the tr6060 offset lever, you lose all of the t56 detent system, as well as the entire shift rail aft of the offset lever (so no more reverse lockout mechanism). You lose the "neutral gate" in the t56 offset lever that the spring loaded detent ball rides in (screwed in from pass side of trans).
I went to a company called core shifters for a shifter base. He makes custom shifter bases from Hurst Billet components for Tremec transmissions. He offers a base for a mid shift conversion for TR6060 applications, and since you have a tr6060 receptacle in your T56 now, his shifter bolts right up. He offers different fulcrum heights as well, so you can adjust how long your throws are. I went with the 3.22" fulcrum, and with a 12" tall stick my throws are super short just like I wanted.
Okay here's the deal. Keisler no longer makes their shifter relocation kit. I heard that the shifter was garbage anyway but it was our only option at one time.

This is where swb85 got his shifter from.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Core-Hurst-S...item41849288bd

If you scroll down he says "NOTE: Conversion parts from Keisler, thegearbox.org, & McLeod are NOT equivalent to the OE TR6060 linkage receptacle depth
I offer a different stub depth for these conversions - email to request"
When I saw that, I did a search for the McLeod part and actually found it. So for about $240 (the Keisler kit was $400 with a crappy shifter)
you can have a shifter relocation "kit" for almost half of what the no longer available kit costs.
If you don't care about the reverse lockout function and are willing to do a little grinding, you can save about $50 doing what swb85 did above.
NOTE: Both options require you to partially disassemble the tranny to complete.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #60
Custom 68

Okay but I guess to clarify even more.
You will need the front offset lever from a tr6060 like mentioned before. Then if you get the Mcleod socket adapter listed above you don't do the grid part and still have the detent and reverse lockout?
Then you need the special conversion shifter? I have an aftermarket shift base now currently at the rear location.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:15 PM   #61
roOstersan

Just following along to find this thread again. Thanx for the great info, I'm gearing up to do this in my '72
roOstersan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #62
jjzepplin

subbed
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote