The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2018, 11:32 PM   #1
Railroader

63 Brake Upgrade / Truck Pic

Wanting to change front drum brakes to disc. Appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Vendor recommendations? CPP, Auto City Classic, Western Chassis, Speedway, etc

Brake Booster? Looking at dual 8 diaphragm. current engine is straight six with 16 vacuum at idle. Is this going to be sufficient?

Rim clearance? Understand that stock drum rims may not clear disk calipers? If thats the case looking at early 70's 4 wheel drive rims from Original Wheels?
I want to keep original look.

Any and all input would be most helpful. Picture of Ole Blue below.

Name:  Ole Blue 1.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  45.6 KB
Railroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:49 PM   #2
Pontiacgurudan

Re: 63 Brake Upgrade / Truck Pic

Beautiful truck! I did the crossmember swap on my 63 using the front end out of an 81 pickup. I'd find a donor truck in the yard and pull the whole front end, steering box and all. You can leave any parts you plan to buy new like calipers when you pull it that way you aren't buying parts twice. Captain Fab makes the steering box and brake booster adapters. I still can't believe how amazing my truck drives now. I've been commuting 90 miles a day in mine. I did power disc and power steering, and a tbi motor with the 4l60e. From the outside, you can't tell I did a thing.
Attached Images

Pontiacgurudan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:29 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you are wanting dropped spindles, you can buy just the spindles and then buy the remaining parts locally. If you want stock height spindles, I would search for a '73-'86 C10 or '87-'91 R1500 donor truck, Suburban locally. To stay with a 6 lug wheels, you will need spindles that are designed for the 1.25" thick rotors and the aftermarket 6 lug rotors.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:02 AM   #4
aotte1

Adding photos that show stock option mentioned by "CaptainFab" above and keeping 6 lug wheels.
Changed out the spindles for the 1 1/4" thick rotor, as mentioned above. These came from a 90' suburban 1/2 ton.
The conversion rotors are an upgraded version with slots.

Which wheels clear calipers, 16" diameter wheels generally clear the caliper ( non original disk 15x5" wheels general do not clear) . An inexpensive and new 16" x6" 6lug wheels is a trailer wheel, it has no vents, photo below. In wneel selection you also need to consider the outer tie rod clearance to wheel, it is effected by wheel back spacing. An advanced search here should show post that reference which 16" factory wheels fit. The stance of your truck and tire size you want will effect wheel choice ( also how original you want the the wheels to look, their are small changes to wheels for certain year trucks) A advanced search of tire/wheel size in the 60-66 forums will provide lots of background
information about fitment.

Total replacement with newer crossmember offers a few design improvements, that are nice.
If you want a little more original look, you can just change the spindle, as shown in photos below. However, swapping the whole newer crossmember is very easy.

Welcome to the forum.
Attached Images

Last edited by aotte1; 03-03-2018 at 03:09 AM.
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
Railroader

Appreciate the feedback. I do want to retain stock height, no drop stuff. As far as original, I like the way it is now.

With either cross member or "brake kit" route, looks like the rim/clearance is the issue. I would rather not have to buy more tires, the ones on the truck have maybe 2000 miles on them.

So, you think the 1971-1987 Chevrolet 4 X 4 15" rims may also not clear calipers?
Old 03-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
Chevy Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Appreciate the feedback. I do want to retain stock height, no drop stuff. As far as original, I like the way it is now.

With either cross member or "brake kit" route, looks like the rim/clearance is the issue. I would rather not have to buy more tires, the ones on the truck have maybe 2000 miles on them.

So, you think the 1971-1987 Chevrolet 4 X 4 15" rims may also not clear calipers?
They will clear.
You can get stock height disc calipers at ECE that will use your stock ball joints and tie rod. If these spindles are $279 each they are probably not worth it.

SKU: 911-6370S
$279.00

Category:

Spindles

Description:

Early Classic Spindles are the original '60-'72 Stock Height (Disc Brake Conversion) Spindles, and are machined to accept your original tie rods and ball joints. While others offer later model parts that require changing your suspension components in order for them to fit, every Early Classic Spindle is designed for your specific year and model of Truck.

https://www.earlyclassic.com/node/1340
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
Chevy Fleetside

This is another option. I had later model spindles and ball joints laying around so I went this route. All the brake parts were ordered from Rockauto.com. http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...isc+brake+swap

65 Short Fleetside BBC
Old 03-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #8
Railroader

For simplicity and pricing appears that brake kit and booster from Auto City Classic along with three rims from Original Wheels is going to be the route to go.

http://www.autocityclassic.com/chevy...ersion-6370s6/

http://www.autocityclassic.com/chevy...lve-60668cpv2/

http://www.originalwheels.com/chevro...0rims-1972.php

Appreciate the feedback and if anyone has experience (good and especially bad) with these vendors please share
Old 03-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #9
Chevy Fleetside

Good luck with the Master cylinder and brake booster. PITA to put in. You should talk to Capt Fab and maybe use his bracket and suggested booster. I would also call them and ask them if they use your stock ball joints and tie rod ends.

65 Short Fleetside BBC

Last edited by Chevy Fleetside; 03-03-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:33 AM   #10
Railroader

I did ask about ball joint and tie rod fit. They claim oem or replacement parts from local auto stores will fit. Standard GM type pads. Only replacement rotors would have to be ordered from them. CPP advised same on their kits.

Is the mounting bracket the issue on booster? Their claiming the bracket supplied is supposed to fit 63 truck. Hope so.

Thanks for feedback and "warning".
Old 03-04-2018, 03:19 AM   #11
aotte1

A little more follow-up on set-up used in above post, changing only spindles, and new rotors aftermarket, intended as an example.
Used original Chevy truck 73 to 87' 1/2 ton spindles, as per CaptainFab, changed the ball joints, and outer tie rod ends using GM parts to match newer spindles. A couple more smaller parts also needed, such as stock GM calipers/pads. Like mentioned above used RockAuto for GM and Moog parts at great price. The rotors cost the most, other parts not very much. My preference, is to use GM parts, just me, known quality, and fits good.

Photo shows GM 15" blazer wheels, on above method. Shopping around at swap meets gets you a good price, just takes a little time to find them. Got these for 300, cleaned and painted myself.

Also agree on considering CaptainFabs brake booster adapter, as a good way to go. (Note- copper nickel brake line is easy to use).

Notes: you can purchase above spindles, from junk yard removed, remove the spindles in junk yard yourself, or whole crossmember and take out spindles later- for very little money, probably as low as 50 if you remove or maybe less). Your experience may determine best method for you, along with access to parts in the junk yard. Tools - big A.. hammer 5 to 20 lbs; 1/2 sockets with breaker bar, racket strap to hold spring compressed and slow release; pliers, penetrating oil. If interested, will reference detailed build showing removal. Another method, probable board member " KrazyRay" has used ones he will sell. Good person to deal with. Or post WTB request for spindles using 1 1/4 rotors.

Note: FYI certain products you referenced above looked like they are 5 lugs, not 6, which maybe more expensive.
Attached Images

Last edited by aotte1; 03-04-2018 at 04:46 AM.
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #12
botoepfer

Railroader,, You have a beautiful truck indeed,, I studied the options and went with a front cross members swap , I bought the complete truck for $400. a 1983 C10 long bed,, it has fairly nice sheet metal and I have been parting it out to requop some of my $400,, I found dollar for dollar this was the way to go for me, I also used the Captain Fab brackets,, they come well packed and the craftsmanship is awesome! enjoy! Oh one more thing this gives me 5 lug wheels and I am told but yet to confirm the axles in the 83 will slide into the 63 giving me 5 lugs all around plus two of the tires on the 83 are the same MFG as on my 63,, Bonus !
botoepfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #13
shp4man

Was it worth it?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #14
botoepfer

in my case Oh yeah !
Old 03-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #15
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by botoepfer View Post
Railroader,, You have a beautiful truck indeed,, I studied the options and went with a front cross members swap , I bought the complete truck for $400. a 1983 C10 long bed,, it has fairly nice sheet metal and I have been parting it out to requop some of my $400,, I found dollar for dollar this was the way to go for me, I also used the Captain Fab brackets,, they come well packed and the craftsmanship is awesome! enjoy! Oh one more thing this gives me 5 lug wheels and I am told but yet to confirm the axles in the 83 will slide into the 63 giving me 5 lugs all around plus two of the tires on the 83 are the same MFG as on my 63,, Bonus !
Sorry to disappoint, but the '83 axles will not work, they are longer and have a different spline count than your '63. The width of the axle housing changed in mid 1970 and stayed the same until the new body style came out in 1988. The spline count on the axle was different in '63 & '64 for sure from the '65-'70 model axles.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #16
botoepfer

Sorry to disappoint, but the '83 axles will not work, they are longer and have a different spline count than your '63. The width of the axle housing changed in mid 1970 and stayed the same until the new body style came out in 1988. The spline count on the axle was different in '63 & '64 for sure from the '65-'70 model axles.
____Thanks you Karl, I am not disappointed as I mentioned yet to be confirmed, Thanks for the conformation all the best Bo,, so now I have to hunt up some 5 lug "fitting" read axles !
Old 03-21-2018, 11:14 PM   #17
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You will have to change the spider gears from 17 spline to 30 spline. You can buy a complete kit for the '63 & '64 12 bolts.

Quote:
S
____Thanks you Karl, I am not disappointed as I mentioned yet to be confirmed, Thanks for the conformation all the best Bo,, so now I have to hunt up some 5 lug "fitting" read axles !
Old 03-22-2018, 12:39 AM   #18
rvrfoot

cpp i have a lot of pictures if needed.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #19
botoepfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
You will have to change the spider gears from 17 spline to 30 spline. You can buy a complete kit for the '63 & '64 12 bolts.
Thanks Capetian Fab,, do you have a vendor of choice
Old 03-22-2018, 11:01 PM   #20
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

No I do not. I have never bought that conversion. If I were I would likely check with Summit Racing.

Quote:
Thanks Capetian Fab,, do you have a vendor of choice
Old 03-23-2018, 12:27 AM   #21
Railroader

Anyone have suggestions where I can purchase some steel oem rims for 1971 - 1987 six lug rims. Did the junkyard tour today. No luck. Donor trucks for my area are like trying to find rooster gonads.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #22
nonstop

Might be a little late, but have you checked with Scarebird for a disc kit for your truck? It uses stock spindle and stock later model parts. I have used a couple of their kits and the price was right and was very pleased. I was also able to use stock wheels with their kits, but you would have to double check yours for fit.
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:37 PM   #23
Railroader

Thanks. I have already installed brakes. I would like to keep steel oem wheels but having trouble finding any. Even with aftermarket vendors, eBay, amazon and junk yards for central Mississippi. Have to do something quick to get the truck off my lift.

Lesson learned, get all parts before starting. First time I have not been able to find or buy what I wanted.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:47 PM   #24
rvrfoot

Brothers truck, I just looked on the internet did not see them. You need to call them tomorrow. I go there a lot i seen them in there showroom.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:11 AM   #25
Railroader

I will. Thanks