The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2017, 10:17 AM   #26
Scott2

Re: Aftermarket chassis choices

When I bought my truck I wanted to take on a project that I thought I could handle (from a complexity, skills and amount of work perspective) and have some fun with, and I wanted a cool old truck I could drive around and enjoy. I am not going drag racing or slalom racing or anything but racing moderately down to the Friday night car show or gun range or cruising around town. I do want it to be as safe as reasonably possible with more modern suspension, steering and brakes so I feel comfortable when my wife takes it. I looked at all the options and got tangled up in some of the specifics for a little bit until I realized my needs were pretty simple and I just really didn't want a 65 year old chassis or an S10 swap either. I wanted a good solid new chassis designed specifically for my truck that would meet all the needs I already mentioned.

At that point it came down to features and budget and when I ran all the numbers my assessment was that the TCI chassis offered me everything I needed - maybe not engineering perfection or the coolest design or the very latest components, but one that really checked all my boxes. I am actually not promoting one chassis over another. I love the look and the design of some of the other chassis out there - the Roadster Shop, AME, etc. and I think there are a number of great choices.

For me it was a pretty straightforward business decision - given all the options for chassis and what each builder included, and what they were each asking when I was ready to write the check, the TCI chassis setup was the best deal for me by a few thousand ($3k - $5k). I think that probably changes from time to time.

I can tell you that I thought about the 8" side rails being too big, at least until I initially assembled the truck and realized you can't see them. I did order the chassis with the 7" frame mounted booster and then switched to a firewall mounted 8" after talking to a few guys who said from experience I would get far better braking that way. I worried a bit that the cross frames would be in the way but they aren't so far and the exhaust is already set up nicely. I do wonder about the adjustments for the "custom MII" front end but expect they will be fine even though they are definitely basic and not elegant. I also don't expect the truck to ride great - it's a lowered truck with 30 series tires and most of all I live in Colorado and the roads are rough. My regular drivers get a beating so the truck won't be any different.

All-in-all, I think it's awesome that there are so many great choices out there and I think if you stay with any of the mainstream shops you can't go wrong.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #27
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas T View Post
I have to disagree with that statement. Properly sized ball joints, bushings, and other components are required in conjunction with a stiffer chassis. The correct springs and shock valving are also needed. Newer vehicles have very little chassis flex compared to older models and they generally drive and hold up much better. Corvettes are a very good example. Try driving a newer vette and then go drive one from the 70's or 80's and the chassis flex is very obvious. Even without the flex I'd say the newer chassis components are more reliable.

well, sure, I agree. I am saying that a track chassis is made for a smooth road and implying that using using it on a regular street is going to wear things out and break them. upgrading parts and attachments is indeed how you combat that.

comparing any late model vehicle developed with a multi-million dollar investment in R&D, engineering, and special tools like FEM and built with multi-million dollar processes like hyro formed frame sections assembled with robotic welding, to a box tubing ladder chassis might be a step too far to say "they increased torsional rigidity and its good, so its good here too".

a late model corvette, and most every other good handling car made in the last 20 years, uses a unit body chassis which still flexes to keep the strain off the suspension components. It can flex less because the strain can be put through the perimiter frame and its "cage" instead of the suspension attachments. This isnt what we are talking about here, we are talking about a sheetmetal cab bolted on a box ladder chassis, where the chassis is 100% of the vehicle torsional stiffness, which coincidentally is exactly what the 70s and 80s vettes use.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #28
mr48chev

Morrison has more than one level of chassis. One can choose from what would be a daily driver setup to hard core streetkanah racer and somewhat in between.

No matter who's chassis you buy the end product will probably come out as one really nice truck that costs about the same as a new off the lot mid level truck. You won't loose 1/4 of the value in the first six months either.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #29
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
morrison has more than one level of chassis. One can choose from what would be a daily driver setup to hard core streetkanah racer and somewhat in between.

No matter who's chassis you buy the end product will probably come out as one really nice truck that costs about the same as a new off the lot mid level truck. You won't loose 1/4 of the value in the first six months either.
^ +1.
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #30
ken sungela

I spoke to AM on Friday and was told they only offer their high end chassis from now on. They said it made no sense from a cost and marketing standpoint to offer their lower priced inferior setup. So the GT sport with IFS and 4 bar Johnny joint rear is it. The complete chassis with brakes is $17,300.
ken sungela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:46 AM   #31
Scott2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken sungela View Post
I spoke to AM on Friday and was told they only offer their high end chassis from now on. They said it made no sense from a cost and marketing standpoint to offer their lower priced inferior setup. So the GT sport with IFS and 4 bar Johnny joint rear is it. The complete chassis with brakes is $17,300.

That will be really sweet!

Old 05-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #32
ken sungela

Has anyone driven a truck with a AM, roadstershop, TCI, etc. chassis under it? How would you describe the feel/performance of the truck?
ken sungela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:40 AM   #33
sprworm12

Check with NO LIMIT ENGINEERING , Rob makes a killer chassis. My buddy put one of his chassis under his truck and loves it, says it rides like a car. Complete roller with ride-tech coilovers, 4 wheel Wildwood brakes, custom fuel tank,fuel & brake lines ran and powder coated. He has a little over $16k in it.
sprworm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:05 PM   #34
hotrod1
56 - autocross

No Limit all the way!
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote