The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
56hotrodred

few more pictures

Here is a few more - I hope.

56hotrodred
Attached Images

Last edited by 56hotrodred; 01-27-2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: getting closer - feeling pretty stupid but computers do that to me sometimes
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
pugs

Re: few more pictures

looks good but how about some specs, what yr donor frame? what ya did for body mounts? etc etc
Old 01-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Looking good.
Looks like an 80 p-up frame. Wheel wells line up pretty good.

Brian ...

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:42 AM   #4
chopper tom

Thats looking good so fare!
How wide is the wheel width ?if you lowwer it will the wheels rub?
chopper tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:49 AM   #5
56hotrodred

I was just trying to focus on getting some photos out there. I actually have talked about it - not too sure if you can check all my previous posts, probably not that many really.

The truck is a 56 chev 1/2 ton swb sitting on a 1980 chev 1/2 ton swb frame. The truck I actually owned in the late 1970's when I bought it off the original owner out of his backyard. It was full of his yard clippings and as part of the deal I had to haul the garbage with it. I had to sell it to move for work and then just bought it back a year or so ago. I am the 2nd & 4th owner.

I want a driver so opted for the later frame with better suspension. Also one was available locally already stripped for a good price. The old frame would have worked but needs a little straightening.

More later.

56hotrodred
Old 01-28-2008, 03:57 AM   #6
56hotrodred

I am pretty happy with the way it sits. It will get lowered at least 2 or 3 inches in the front and what ever the back will require to get it sitting near level. I am thinking air ride suspension but more important to get it running before I get into that sort of stuff. Might mini-tub the rear to try to find some late 1950's stock wheel wells to get some wider tires in the back. The width brake to brake drum was identical between the 2 trucks.

56hotrodred
Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
SURFER1316

think you can post a pics from the front looking down the side, get a better idea where those wheels sit in the wells. Thanks
SURFER1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:43 AM   #8
56hotrodred

I will take some pictures from that angle (i.e. looking down on front fenders) next time I am out. A measurement that I was very careful to take or compare earlier in my process was the inside brake drum to inside brake drum and the overall body width. There was no difference in the brake drum measurements or even the frame width between the 1956 and the 1980 and the body is very similar. The box for example will require no structural modifications to bolt down to the 80 frame.

Most importantly I think one has to keep in mind that you can play with offset rims and different tire sizes to create that right fit that you want to see. I think I have 235 x 15s on the stock 1980 chev 1/2 ton rims on it now. The more critical measurement for me is where the tires are going to sit centered in the wheel wells looking side on. This is something that if not set up right will really throw looks off. The length of the frame was also different and this is where the gap between the cab and the box comes into play. Mine is going to end up between 3 & 4 inches.

I am however also thinking of air bagging the front and back down the road so I will have to get the front tires inside the fenders and maybe min-tubs in the back to get the back tires wider for more of that hot rod look.

So will get back to you with that picture as I have one front fender sitting on right now.

56hotrodred

Last edited by 56hotrodred; 01-29-2008 at 02:45 AM.