The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
Maximus

Maximus's 1972 K5 Blazer 4X4 Build Thread

Hey guys, I spend most of my time over in the 47-55 section with my pickup, but I just aquired a Blazer so I thought I would come over and show it off.

Its got the typical rust in the front floor, the A pillar has some damage, some rust in the cowl but the majority of the body is in excellent shape.
All original body panels and all original paint.
Single wall top with some damage, a donor hatch has been used and its in horrible shape but at least its there.
Here are some photos.

More photos to come, these are from when I went to see it at the POs house

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
swyfor5

Re: Maximus's 1972 K5 Blazer 4X4 Build Thread

Welcome to the board! Looks like a nice K5 to start with. What are your plans for the build?
swyfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Maximus

its pretty nice overall. The photos make the paint look a little better than it is, but its still a pretty honest little truck.
It sucks that a previous had an ignition wire break on him so he just parked the truck instead of diagnosing it. it sat for 15 years with its nose up against a pine tree. this is why the windshield, cowl and floor fronts are rusted. otherwise our beautiful California sun would have kept it solid.
I have soo many projects that I am not going to do any MAJOR build on this one. mainly I will enjoy it as it is, and when the time becomes available try to cut the front floor corners out, assess the damage and replace.

It has a single wall top but its in less-than-desireable condition so im going to keep my eye out locally for a nicer one, maybe even one without a rattle-can makeover. Ocher looks brilliant with a white top, but im not feeling the black one.
may take a pressure washer to the top to see if the paint sticks or not, but we will see.

Mainly I have just been looking for a running 1st gen K5 for like 5 years, and they have all been out of my price range. when I saw this one i had to jump on it.

Ill try to get some more pictures here soon, spent over an hour cleaning out all of the 'gunk' from the PO, it was not taken care of as nicely as I would have liked...

Last edited by Maximus; 10-06-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Maximus

Placed my parts order in at ClassicParts.com, $500+ in goodies coming, including the main patch panels I need for the front floor as well as a window regulator, heater control replacement kit and cosmetics. Looking forward to cleaning this truck up and enjoying it.

The wiring from front to back has been trashed but I am trying to make sure its safe enough for now, as i may plan a 5.3 swap in the future and at that time just rewire the whole truck.

For now, the plan is patch the floors, clean up the interior and drive the wheels off of it.
[/URL]
Old 10-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
cst 72 blazer

wow wish you could find an original 1st gen in that kind of shape around here! Nice ride
Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
Maximus

After another $350 in parts I finally started opening up some of my boxes.
Most of what I have bought are missing small components like seals and trim pieces.
Finally got my broken exterior door handles replaced, re-keyed the doors, ignition and glove box to all match.
Was able to fight the vent window in and out and replaced the window regulator. (what a treat that vent window is on these trucks!).
My driver door has a damaged upper hinge pocket so I sourced a 67-71 truck door that I am going to use as a donor for the sheet metal and support bracket around the upper hinge, and I am glad I did because my door was missing one of the two nut cages for the arm rests, the donor door came in to save the day.

Then to cap things off since I can roll the window up and down I thought I would throw the door panels together for the first time (I am still very thankfull that the panels were laying in the back of the truck when I bought it) I didnt think I was going to save them because they were pretty sad but thats the good thing about using ABS Plastic, 40 years later and they look brand new after a little cleaning!

After pressure washing the door panels I applied some of the Meguiars Natural Shine Protectant to brighten up the door panels and I was impressed at how they came out. They were faded white and horribly dirt/grime stained. The pressure washer knocked out the muck and the shine eliminated the white faded look and makes them look brilliant and black again. Added some new handles and armrests to dial in the look.

This weekend I am going to build a carport for the blazer to keep out of the rain, and if I have any time remaining I will probably pull the gauge cluster out to get access to the dash pad nuts, and while I am at it probably throw in my new cluster bezel and lens. if all of that goes as planned ill start piecing together my heater controls with the new replacement parts i bought.

More to come... here are some photos of the progress so far, as well as the truck donor door...

Old 11-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
Maximus

Have been busy with other projects around the yard but I was able to get my carport up to keep this poor blazer from rusting any further.
Here is a shot of the carport before I finished installing the bracing

I was able to take some time today to rip out the old crumbled dash and pull out the instrument cluster for refreshing. No photos of the dash but here is a before and after shot of cluster.

In the next week or so I should get some time to paint the dash top and throw the new pad in, as well as reconnect the cluster.

That's it for now...
Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
mtully79

That's some good progress, subscribed.

Keep up the great work (and the pics)!
mtully79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
Maximus

Was finally able to get to the dash pad today!
Sanded/painted the dash top and installed the pad (Repop fitment was OK but bumps up in the middle due to stud placement...)
Also threw in my gauge cluster with the new bezel and lens.

Here are the photos of my progress.
Masked up and ready to put some paint down:

Close-up of pre-painted surface after a quick sand:

Put some paint down and peeled off the front masking paper to prep for dash pad:

Dash pad going in:

Cluster in with new wiper and headlight knobs as well:

Next on my list is to get the heater controls rebuilt and reinstalled, install the glove box and maybe start trying to clean up this hack-job wiring done by the PO
Old 12-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Moreyel

Jacob, looks like you don't mess around! You've given me some good ideas. I'm currently installing a crate 350 in my 72 Blazer. Since it's been sitting so long, I pulled the gas tank today to clean out the old fuel. It doesn't even begin to smell like good ol gas!

Does anyone have advice on whether or not to go the distance on rebuilding the evap control system? I'd like to avoid running into the eng vacuum system system if I van. Many parts appear to be missing.

Thanks for any help.
Moreyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:12 AM   #11
Maximus

Not alot of "progress" in the last few months, I have been working on other projects, and more or less just enjoying the blazer for what it is, drive it every couple of weeks on the weekends to get some enjoyment out of it. I have pieced all of the heater controls together but haven't installed them in the truck yet so hopefully that will come soon,
spent the last few weekends compiling parts for a ford pickup I have, and just spent today replacing my Tahoe's fuel pump...
anyways, I have been driving and enjoying my blazer, and took a few photos of it just because I love to stair at it. I am digging its aged/faded patina on the original paint.
I also did buy an old original steering wheel because my wheel was out of a 73 and later model...
Here is the wheel i picked up:

Here is how the blazer looks:

Old 04-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
Maximus

Finally got around to pulling my later model wheel off for the original style. It has a crack but all that does is make it look even more original as my truck has its fair share of bumps and bruises... Now I can move on to get the repaired heater controls installed (need to make a hardware store trip for screws)
Before

After:

Last edited by Maximus; 04-10-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #13
straps57

Nice truck. Keep us updated.
straps57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:09 AM   #14
Maximus

Not a ton of progress lately, ive spent a good amount of time working on one of my classic fords that needed more attention, however I did manage to get my heater controls cleaned up, the levers replaced and got the cables hooked up and installed. I was happy to hear the heater motor fire up when I turned the heat knob! (havent ran the heater motor since I have owned the blazer)

Here is an interior shot with the heater controls installed, finally getting things cleaned up now that I have a new dash pad, cluster bezel, heater controls and the correct steering wheel...

I am happy with the way its turning out, I just need to track down a pair of black bucket seats. I will probably end up buying a pair of the ProCar Scat seats if I cant find a good pair, as they are only about ~300 a seat new and for a pair of seats with brand new uphostry and foam, along with a "vintage" style look, they are hard to beat...
Old 04-29-2014, 12:03 AM   #15
Maximus

So no progress on the truck specifically, however I was able to track down a new set of rims. Ive been halfheartedly looking for a set of replacement rims for my blazer, along with some other various parts and nothing has seemed to jump out at me until today. I have a square body style z71 tahoe with the 2-year only alcoas and thought about tracking down a set of those for the blazer but thought they might have a little too much of a modern feel even though they are an old school 5-spoke style rim. Anyways after seeing these rims they just seemed to be the ones to get. They are an OEM set of aluminum rims off of a 1990 K5, so at least im keeping it in the blazer family.
Now I just need to pick up some center caps for the rear rims and save up for some new rubber.

Heres a photo of the aluminum blazer rims:
Old 04-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #16
dutchmanz
Knuckle Buster, Instructor

Nice progress. I have the same plans for my Blazer. Fix it and ride! I like the newer Blazer wheels. I looked for some but found the steel rally's first. Get them on so we can see it.
53 Studebaker M35 w/331 Reo gas I-6, Air Force Strata Blue
dutchmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:32 PM   #17
Maximus

Thought I would chime in and throw in an update since it has been 15 months! lol, time has flown! Haven't made any changes, I get ADD and was detracted when I acquired yet another project (28' Model A 2Dr Sedan with Chevy Drive-train)

I still haven't put the aluminum rims on (been stressing about putting 33x12.5 rims on the stock 7" wide aluminum rims...) just been putting around in the blazer every now and then but am not driving it anywhere near as much as I want or should. I did however just drop some coin on some new buckets and vinyl floor (full blazer kit) and will post some updates when they arrive and I get into them. New seats should help motivate getting up and into the blazer to have some fun, the interior is just too miserable when I have other classics that are neat and clean inside...

Progress will always slow down for me but I wont give up on any of my projects, still have my '55 sitting waiting for some love too...

The seats are the Procar 1400 series lowbacks in black, I will be adapting them to the stock seat mounts (thank god the previous owner adapted the awful blue 80's blazer seats I have to the stock brackets, so at least I get to salvage the brackets)

Most of you probably know what the procar seats look like, but these are them:

I spent a week searching, best price I found when ordering them as a pair was Speedway Motors, they were like $242 each without tax and free shipping to CA.

The flooring is a "complete kit" that I am hoping is in line with the LMC blazer vinyl floor kit but $80 cheaper shipped, so I will let you all know how these things turn out!

Then I will have to drop some more money to have the rear seat refitted to complete the clean interior makeover. right now my rear seat is just a frame and a dirty piece of torn foam...
Old 07-15-2015, 12:10 AM   #18
Maximus

seats arrived today, couldnt get the old blue 80's blazer seats out fast enough. Mocked up the drivers bucket using the stock bracket. I think I need to shim up the back to level it out a little, but man these things are 100% more pleasing to the eye then my blue high-backs! Not to mention they are very comfortable! I dont know how long trips will be but sitting in the seat feels very natural.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #19
fourspeedwagon

awesome- keep us posted on the flooring set to, thanks-
fourspeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:15 AM   #20
Maximus

Time for an update. bad news is the rust repair was put on hold. I have other things that will be taking priority over the K5 so I cant dedicate the time right now to cut the floors out and do it right, so im just thowing the vinyl floor mat in and I will get to the rust later. Since my last post I bought a console from a 89 K5 and painted it black, and threw the floor mat in so I can continue to drive the blazer until I can spare enough time to do the rust repair.
I made a idiot mistake and ordered the vinyl floor for a "low hump" blazer, for some reason when I saw "low hump" i didnt hesitate, until it showed up and I remembered its my '55 that has the low hump... anyways, it still seems to fit well enough, so I am not too bothered by that mistake on my part. The floor mat fits pretty good overall, it covers the entire floor and has enough material to even roll up the back step to the back floor. I had to spend some time to trim at all edges, and then cut holes for the transfer case shifter as well as the seat and seat belt mounting locations.

Here's a couple shots of the vinyl in place and the new seats finally bolted down. The console is just hanging out for now, will run some self tapping screws in it in the near future.

Here is a shot of the rear cargo area with the individual covers on the wheel wells and one piece to cover the rear cargo area from front to back.
I have not done any trimming on the rear floor mats yet, ran out of time.

Overall the vinyl floor mats are very nice quality, my mistake on not getting the high hump front mat probably contributed to my fitment issues up front, and they are long in every direction so you have to trim to fit but this allows you to make sure it fits your specific application. I went in realizing that it didnt have the factory pattern, and its just a generic pattern but its a nice thick vinyl floor that I am happy with.

FYI: the company on the box from my kit is ACC, or Auto Custom Carpets, Inc.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #21
Maximus

Not too much to report, I am in the works in lining up my floor replacement, but in the mean time I was able to locate a hatch that is 10000% nicer than the one I had. I had to pay dearly for it but I am very happy to have a hatch that actually can open and hold itself up!

As a bonus, it was also a original white top with black on the outside, to match my top that had a backyard paint job in a past life...

It does have a vintage wiper motor on it that I may or may not ditch, but overall its pretty good for being 40+ years old...

Last edited by Maximus; 03-09-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #22
Maximus

Any progress is better then no progress!

I finally got a little work done on my rear seat frame.

Here is a shot of my old crappy seat the day I got my K5

Stripped it down to the frame, then I hit the frame with a wire wheel for a couple hours knocking off the heavy rust.

Then I coated it in Rust-Oleum Rust Converter primer

Then a couple coats of semi gloss black.

Now I need to get new foam, and get the new vinyl put on... as well as clean off my bead blaster and clean and paint all the brackets....
Old 05-21-2017, 11:01 PM   #23
flashed

Its looking good .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:12 PM   #24
lks dcvn

Alright! Keep the updates coming... Every little bit helps.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #25
Maximus

Well I went to my local upholstery guy who recovered the seats in my '55 big window and my 72' f100, and got a price and a date to recover my rear bench. Ouch! I was going to do it at home but my foam is SHOT and I dont have the time to shape the foam (using my clapped out foam as a template) so I am just going to have them make me some new foam and throw my seat covers I ordered on (simple black 71-72 cover from Classic Industries)

I also sold off the 91 Blazer rims, I couldn't come to terms with the 7" wide part... I want to keep the 33" tire size, and 12.50's on 7" is pushing the limit of the rim and tire, so I want to keep it at an 8" rim. Another plus is my SPID shows 15x8 rims on the tag, so I guess I am going back to Rallys! (if I can find a set that isnt a $1000!!!??? these are stock steel truck wheels not polished American Racings!)

My rear seat is on schedule to get refoamed and covered in 2 weeks, so I will post photos when its done. Also ordered some new generic lap belts since mine were dry rotted and unsafe, and need to get some arm rests ordered from ClassicParts soon here...

If anyone is looking, my measurements show that 1/2" bolts are used to anchor the rear seat belts, and they appear to have an extended length of about 54" (18" fixed 'male' buckle, 36" 'female')
I ordered some generic 60" lap belts, wont have to worry about them tearing or being too stiff to adjust.

I am also still on the lookout for a oem tank filler so I can setup an aftermarket tank with the correct routing neck... once I find that I think it will spark me to replace the entire rear fuel system (vents, tank, hoses, clamps, sending unit) and get that back to something close to factory...

More to come...