The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
GMDad

Cruise control wiring

My 86 C10 has cruise control but when I went to check the lever it only had about a 6" harness with a small blue square plug on it and t wasn't plugged into anything. I have ordered a replacement lever to come next week and it shows as a fairly long wire with the flat plug on the end of it but I don't know where it should plug into. Any ideas or photos of the correct lever, wiring, plug and where it plugs in.....TIA
GMDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
Pontiac1976

Re: Cruise control wiring

First you have to know what option your truck has on the column. What wiper motor w/pulse or wo/pulse, what year Column in it now. w/tilt wo/tilt, w/cruise or wo/cruise.

Then check the column lower near the ignition switch (not the ignition switch cylinder key)
The wire runs down the in side plastic column cover.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
GMDad

It is a 86 column with pulse wipers, tilt wheel and cruise control. I have looked at the lower end of the column mast jacket but don't see a plug that looks like it will accept the wires from the cruise lever. Only thing that could be possible is the brake light switch.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
GMDad

The first pic is the lever that I took out of the truck and the second is the replacement. Can anybody tell me for sure which is the correct one for my 1986 C10 with tilt, pulse and cruise? And secondly, I don't see any harness at the bottom of the column for this to plug into. Any chance somebody would have a photo of where it is plugged in?

Greatly appreciated
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #5
GMDad

Persistence pays off. It was the second pic arm that is correct. Kept searching and found a plug buried up in the harness. Now have working cruise and pulse wipers after changing module.. truck just keeps getting better and better
Old 08-01-2017, 10:24 PM   #6
TKCR

Glad you found it. I was reading this post and was going to say it was the 2nd pic. I have an 86 and this was the correct part. And that the connection was under there somewhere. But I knew where mine was, because of taking it out and putting the new one in. I could have gotten a pic for you maybe, it is kind of hidden under the vent tube for the A/C.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #7
GMDad

That's another thing I am missing is that lower tube. I believe it is available so only have a/c on upper vents right now. Not 100 % where it goes but once I get a replacement it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDad View Post
That's another thing I am missing is that lower tube. I believe it is available so only have a/c on upper vents right now. Not 100 % where it goes but once I get a replacement it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
I was just in a salvage yard here recently, it was just laying there. I should have grabbed it. I should have known someone would need it. It's probably still there.

I thought I have seen them new, here's one place:

http://www.classicparts.com/1973-87-.../#.WYItmK3Myi4
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:48 PM   #9
GMDad

OK little different than I thought. Have to go take a look at my buddy's 87 see how it hooks up.
Thanks for the link.