The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2019, 04:37 PM   #1
cebra

Replacing Wheel Studs - Disc Brakes

My wheel studs were quite short on my rears which I replaced when I replaced my axles while doing the rearend. I assume my fronts are short as well, can these be removed/replaced with longer ones without removing anything further than rotor/caliper (basically can I pound them out and replace on the vehicle)? What is the knurl on a 2WD C10 with disc brakes? I will need to pull them out and replace in same day so need to order them ahead of time? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Replacing Wheel Studs - Disc Brakes

I don't know the knurl. Anywhere I've bought studs I just tell them what I have and the length if it's different than standard. I knocked out the broken stubs of lug studs and replaced them on the vehicle on the road before. But I would remove the hub & rotor. It's no big deal to do that and you can put the hub on a solid surface, or use a press. I'd think it would be hard on the wheel bearings to beat on a mounted hub for each stud, and not as easy as on a bench or the ground.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote