The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
idbeast

Any board vendors Gear Vendors dealers?

Any board vendors Gear Vendors dealers? I'm looking at getting the Part # 3DFS700A Automatic 4-Speed 700R 4/4L60 – 4 Bolt Housing – Mechanical Speedo and was wondering if we can discuss it????

Thanks, Jim
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:46 PM   #2
idbeast

Re: Any board vendors Gear Vendors dealers?

Wow, I can't believe there are not any recommendations or venders speaking up on this! This is the second thing I've asked about for board vendor's but no response. I don't mind spending money to help out someone or some business, but I'm not going to beg them to take my money.....
Old 07-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
mikebte

Ya, vendors don't seem as active on this forum as others. With my stuff I usually have to call around an pick the one without a computer answering the phone.

For my last transmission I found a local to build mine to spec. They have been great so far.

Than again, not many locals would deal with gear vendor products

Last edited by mikebte; 07-13-2018 at 08:16 PM.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
idbeast

It's too bad vendors or people who know vendors won't to reply on this, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants one! I talked to Gear Vendors directly, and explained that the 56 isn't drivable yet and they told me that they would start the 2 year warranty when I'm able to get it on the road!
Old 07-15-2018, 11:03 PM   #5
Stepside Jim

idbeast, how's it going?

I think with the 5 years or so I've been involved with this site, I'm about the only one who uses a Gear Vendors overdrive.

The common advice or opinion is that they are too expensive. When I built my truck I decided from the beginning I'm going all out, no excuses. I have mine behind a TH350 with lock up converter and a 3000 stall converter, I couldn't be happier.

Follow the build thread below, somewhere mid-way through the thread is where I bought and fitted the overdrive unit. Towards the last page is a pic of it bolted to the Transmission.

Good luck, Jim
Old 07-15-2018, 11:35 PM   #6
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside Jim View Post
idbeast, how's it going?

I think with the 5 years or so I've been involved with this site, I'm about the only one who uses a Gear Vendors overdrive.

The common advice or opinion is that they are too expensive. When I built my truck I decided from the beginning I'm going all out, no excuses. I have mine behind a TH350 with lock up converter and a 3000 stall converter, I couldn't be happier.

Follow the build thread below, somewhere mid-way through the thread is where I bought and fitted the overdrive unit. Towards the last page is a pic of it bolted to the Transmission.

Good luck, Jim

Hi Jim thanks for the response! It's going a little slower then I want, but I'm starting to pickup a little more steam!
I'm into mine so deep now that I discussed with my wife about spending the required money to finish it right the first time. Too my surprise she agreed and even said OK to the PPG paint!
I will be looking your build thread over really closely! When I talked to the Gear Vendors guy and he took the time to answer all my questions explaining that it even comes with the required speedo gears an 1350 yoke I needed, and then told me that they would start the 2 year warranty when I'm able to get it on the road, hopefully before winter gets here, the wife told me I could order it the first part of the week!!!

Thanks again Jim W
Old 07-16-2018, 08:15 PM   #7
G&R's57GMC

I installed a GV in my Avalanche to split gears when pulling a trailer. It worked great with the 4L60E .
Before installing it was about 1000 r.p.m. between gears , after installing and using the GV it was about 500 r.p.pm. between gears.

When I sold the Avalanche I pulled the GV and installed it in my Tahoe for the same reasons. Only change was to remove the deep sump and get the flat sump and gasket. Some wiring changes also.

If and when I ever get back to my project 56 TF The GV may move to it .

Fortunately they all are 4L60E's making the change easy.

So expensive ? Well not so bad when you consider it can be transferred to other vehicles.
Using GV Parts the unit can be used on other makes of transmissions.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:05 PM   #8
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
I installed a GV in my Avalanche to split gears when pulling a trailer. It worked great with the 4L60E .
Before installing it was about 1000 r.p.m. between gears , after installing and using the GV it was about 500 r.p.pm. between gears.

When I sold the Avalanche I pulled the GV and installed it in my Tahoe for the same reasons. Only change was to remove the deep sump and get the flat sump and gasket. Some wiring changes also.

If and when I ever get back to my project 56 TF The GV may move to it .

Fortunately they all are 4L60E's making the change easy.

So expensive ? Well not so bad when you consider it can be transferred to other vehicles.
Using GV Parts the unit can be used on other makes of transmissions.
G&R's57GMC thanks for the reply, sounds like it has held up very well! The Old Lady said I can order it today, so I'm waiting on a call back from them to get mine... Okay, got it ordered be here the end of the week!
Old 07-17-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
NorCalGal

I put a gear vendor overdrive in my truck zz4 with a turbo 350 and 373 rearend gears. They were very helpful when I called, but it's not on the road yet so I have nothing to report.