The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2002, 05:43 PM   #1
MarineNav
Official Beaver Inspector

Post N E body have custom suspension setups?

I'm trying to get ideas on how to build my truck up. I plan on about 550hp going to the ground. Wondering whether or not to go with cutom 4 link or not. Also looking to fab up a custom front suspension or maybe use a newer one. One with lighter front parts. Any one done this or have pics? Thanks in advance.
Jamie

------------------
70' C-10SWB beater with a heater, one day haulin a$$ with class
Old 04-10-2002, 11:26 PM   #2
MADRAD

check it out www.offroaddesign.com

------------------
I'm the third owner of this 74 Chevy K-5 Blazer mostly stock back in the day. Since the start of the build up the truck now has a 540 Tall Deck Big Block Chevy, 4.5 bore, speed-o-motive 4.25 stroked crank, 10 to 1 pistons that are 60 over, 800 CFM performer carb on a 454-0 aluminum intake, Brodix 2X aluminum heads with full rocker cam and 7:1 lifters. hooker heads with 2" primary and 4" collectors to a pair of flowmasters. A preped 700R4 rated to 700HP, 205 T-case, Dana 60 front limited slip, Corp 14 bolt rear lockers, with 4:88. Working on a 4 link coil over spring front suspenion with 63inch leaf link rear suspenion. Running 38 Ground Hawg tires on custom 16.5 Trail Ready bead locked rims. Custom dash with Auto meter gauges, Bear custom seats, 8 point roll cage and lots of other goodies. Its my money pit land boat, but I love it!!

I'm the third owner of this 74 Chevy K-5 Blazer mostly stock back in the day. Since the start of the build up the truck now has a 540 Tall Deck Big Block Chevy, 4.5 bore, speed-o-motive 4.25 stroked crank, 10 to 1 pistons that are 60 over, 800 CFM performer carb on a 454-0 aluminum intake, Brodix 2X aluminum heads with full rocker cam and 7:1 lifters. hooker heads with 2" primary and 4" collectors to a pair of flowmasters. A preped 700R4 rated to 700HP, 205 T-case, Dana 60 front limited slip, Corp 14 bolt rear lockers, with 4:88. Working on a 4 link coil over spring front suspenion with 63inch leaf link rear suspenion. Running 38 Ground Hawg tires on custom 16.5 Trail Ready bead locked rims. Custom dash with Auto meter gauges, Bear custom seats, 8 point roll cage and lots of other goodies. Its my money pit land boat, but I love it!!

MADRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 11:19 AM   #3
MarineNav
Official Beaver Inspector

Good link! But...It's 2 wheel drive and I'm looking for more of a drag racing type setup. I wanna put all the supercharged stangs' and Camaro's to shame.

------------------
70' C-10SWB beater with a heater, one day haulin a$$ with class

[This message has been edited by MarineNav (edited April 11, 2002).]
Old 04-12-2002, 05:01 AM   #4
69 longhorn

Fatman Fab has a bolt in crossmember,for mustangII pcs,tubular arms,& coil over ,& rack & pinion steering. the setup is not cheap......(Id like to have one,but gotta save a few more nickels& dimes!)...69 longhorn. http://www.fatmanfab.com/

[This message has been edited by 69 longhorn (edited April 12, 2002).]
Old 04-22-2002, 02:34 PM   #5
chaptr2

I am doing what you are doing right now. I don't have access to a scanner, so let me do the best at explaining what I have.

For the front I have used the 2-inch drop springs and KYB shocks (bought from Mothertruckers.net). I would have used other type of springs and shocks, but really they don't make(front street/strip,springs/shocks)for our trucks.I have heard of nova springs in the front and Vega springs in the back, but that was used for drag racing only. Not knowing what it would do, I decided to give up the race springs in front (only sacrificing a little ¼ mile time) and go with more conventional springs. The rear is what I wanted to do just right. Someone had posted a picture of a 68 Short box Stepside pulling the front wheels off the ground. I emailed him to find out what he was using. He used Hal coil over shocks for the rear and that was it. The guys didn’t have the part numbers to coil overs he was using. This was for me to figure out I guess. He also mentioned along with a few board members to weld up the seam of the rear trailing arms or they will break. I took them to my father’s shop so he and I could weld and box them in. We made sure that they won’t break or twist, plus I was able to get the added weight I wanted for the back.

I called up Ed with Mothertruckers.net and worked with him on it. He wasn’t sure exactly what springs for the coil overs and shock length to run, but he said we would work on it. I ended up measuring my shock length expanded and collapsed so I knew what to get. I think they are the 14 in expanded and 10 and 1/8 collapsed. I placed the order with Ed and man did he kick the snot out of other people’s pricing!!

The springs I found out this weekend, they were way too weak. I need a much heavier spring for the rear of the truck. I am now in the process of ordering the right springs. I have also put in a new adjustable pan hard bar in and will finish setting it up when I get the right springs for the coil overs. With the shocks adjusted up, I doubt that there will be a problem in the corners or on the street.

1.Welded and boxed in Trailing arms with new bushings
2.HAL Coil over shocks
3.Adjustable pan hard bar
4.A posi
5.Some expendable cash!

By the way my truck is a supercharged 388 so I understand trying to plant my rear tires! Email me if you have questions.

------------------
Supercharged 388 stroker in a
70 GMC Shorty step side
72 K/5 Blazer

70 GMC Short box stepside Blown 388 Stroker
72 K/5 Blazer 350/SM465/205
chaptr2 is offline   Reply With Quote