The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
diveplane

wheel spacers?

sorry for my ignorance guys asking on wheel spacers,

i have 5 lug rims alloy 15 inch

are wheel spacers safe to use and will not affect handling to much or alignment? how do they work are they easy to install?

what would be a nice fit for my truck i want the tire just sticking out a little

would 1.5 inch units do the job nice?

trying to give my truck a little meaner look seen some nice pics here.
diveplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:05 AM   #2
fredscarryall

Re: wheel spacers?

Wheel spacers are a good option. So you don’t have to get new rims with the right back spacing.Some people don’t like them. I have had wheel spacer on 4 different off road jeeps and 5 street driven trucks and never had an issue. I have used 1.25”to 3” spacers. The only thing is most tire store are not allowed to install them. So you just have to do it yourself. No big deal, they are a no brained to install. Just get them to 85lbs of torque and retighten them a few days later after its been driven. I didn’t use a torque wrench but I kinda have a feel for it. A few thing you need to know. one is they don’t make any under 1.25. Sometimes you can get 1” but they are hard to find especially with 14x1.5mm studs. Which get me to the next thing, the wheel spacer have to have 14x1.5 mm studs and you have to have a 87.1 mm or bigger center bore because of the hubs. But that on 2wd trucks. If it’s a 4x4, I not sure of the hub size. As far as if 1.5” is good. It just depend on your wheels and (fender lips on 2wd). to check if the spacing is good just go to Home Depot and get some 1/2 washer and stack them on two of your wheel studs and put the wheel back on. The front might be a little tricky because your studs might not be that long. Then turn the wheel lock to lock to make sure it clears the fenders at the bottom. If you go less then 1”. You will have to use a plate style spacer, but you will need longer studs. If you go under 1/2” you won’t need longer studs. Unless you studs are short.
Attached Images

fredscarryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
95 S_Trucker

They are illegal in most states that have state safety inspections. That being said, I have 1.25” spacers on the rear of my truck.

I would recommend steel spacers that are hub centric(instead of lug centric)

14mm x 1.5 should be torqued to 140 ft/lbs. if you can afford spacers, you can afford a torque wrench.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
b454rat

NYS has safety inspections. I've never heard of them being illegal here. I have them on my Tundra and had zero issues. They are lug centric, and hub on the inside where it bolts to the hub itself. Have over 20k running the setup and no problems....oh and they are 2" thick...
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
95 S_Trucker

In pa, you can’t have spacers thicker than 1/4”. And the tires can’t stick out past the fender.

From the factory, the weight of the vehicle is supported by the hub, and the only purpose of the lug nut is to keep the wheel on the hub. With lug centric wheels or adapters, you are now asking the lug nuts to support all the weight of the vehicle, and you are relying on the lug nuts to center the wheel. You are more like to break lug studs and have vibration issues. With a hub centric spacer, the weight of the vehicle is still supported by the hub, and you are less likely to have vibrations. All of what I wrote doesn’t mean anything if you have aftermarket wheels with a larger hub bore.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #6
diveplane

thx for the responses guys, i might just leave the truck as is,
was just curious about them and other folks opinion on wheel spacers.

maybe later down the line add them.
diveplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
b454rat

Aftermarket wheels used to be lug centric. So the weight of the truck/car was supported by the studs, not the hubs. I have a lifted Tundra with 35s, towed, hauled, pulled and plane ol' driving and not had an issue. I wouldn't put my family in it if there was....
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote