The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
Jmesser

new member / owner with questions :)

Hi all ! Not only new to the board, but a new owner of a `69 stepper. I bought the truck a year ago as a learning project, without any real mechanic experience. After lots & lots of reading, it seems I come up with more questions than answers. I really need a few fellas (or gals) that can clear some of this stuff up for me and get me pointed in the right direction. Hopefully, this isn`t one of those boards that responds with " Google ___" or "watch Youtube". If I`m asking, I`ve already tried that, so please be patient. As of right now I don`t have a bunch of money tied up in my truck, and would like to keep it that way lol. Much of my confusion is coming from previous owner(s) mods. Two issues right now: 1) when I got it, the front was 3" lower than the rear, and was converted to 5-lug discs in the front. I`m not sure why the front was so much lower. The brake setup appears to be from a squarebody. Would they possibly have used the spindles, too, and would this be the culprit ? I`d like to put in some drop spindles and replace the ball joints, but am confused as to what parts to buy for it to all mate up. 2.) the mismatched 5 / 6 lug wheels. What`s the best way to address this on a budget ? I thought about going to 6 lug rotors up front, but I like the 5-lug wheel options out there a lot more. I read that the rear track is 4" narrower on these trucks; would running wheel adapters on the back be the best bet, which would even out the track. Thanks in advance, guys - I`m ready to start this journey and appreciate the guidance very much !
Jmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Jmesser

Re: new member / owner with questions :)

I lowered the rear 2" with lowering blocks already, but that`s not gonna do with a 15" wheel. Also, how low can you go with spindles / springs before it limits how much load you can carry / tow ? Thanks !

Last edited by Jmesser; 03-27-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Jmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:36 PM   #3
El Dorado Jim

beautiful truck, if it was me, I would change rearends, pick up one out of a square body at the wrecking yard, pick n pulls around here you can get a rearend real cheap....if the front end has been lowered, it may be that the previous owner installed different coil springs in the front or like a truck I used to own, the springs were heated up and sagged to the height the previous owner liked, I ended up replacing the springs with new ones....
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:30 AM   #4
GR8-68

Welcome to the board and the greatest source of Chevy / GMC truck info I have ever found.

There is many different ways he could have went about lowering the front, but honestly it does not look lowered. He very well could have put a squarebody front end under it, that is what I also have on my 68 but I make sure I document the changes in a log so later I can reference to what replacement parts I may need or if I decide to sell the next owner is not guessing or replacing parts so he knows what he has.

As far as the rear axle I done conversion axles at around 200.00 or you could do the 6 - 5 lug conversion spacers but keep in mind they are also going to push your wheel out depending on the thickness of your spacer and you will need to take those into consideration when figuring your backspacing and overall width of wheel. I personally went the axle conversion on mine as I feel it is the best option.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote