The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #1
BCOWANWHEELS

new fuel tank opinions

getting a c10 out of long term storage and even though I tried to get all fuel out turns out I didn't. running it out of fuel wasn't good enough yuck.......... anyway its a 1972 c10 / 350 it has the emmissions fuel tank. think I should install a 1971 non emissions tank and fuel pump. opinioms please.
thamks
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
custom10nut

Re: new fuel tank opinions

Two options here,
1. Put a scope camera in side and see if there is any corrosion built up or flaking off the sides.
If there is, pull the tank and have it boiled out, then sealed. Flush out the lines and change filter.
2. If there's no corrosion, flush your lines, add some fuel with some Sea Foam, and fire that baby up. It'll run a little rough at first, but will clear up.
You may have to rebuild your carb, as your fuel in it may have either turned to varnish, or in the case of unleaded, separated and left deposits in the float bowls.
I went through this a few years back, when I got my truck out of a five year storage. I ended up putting a new carb on mine. I wish the best of luck to you.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

What do you mean by "emissions tank"? They all have emission controls of some sort or another. If you have a California emissions truck, it will (I think) have a vapor separator in the tank and a vapor recovery system (charcoal canister under the hood) and some extra vacuum hoses, compared to a Federal emissions truck. The easy way to tell is to look for the vapor canister. It's about 10" tall and 7" across. There will be one 3/8" hose running to the carburetor or air cleaner housing, one to the carburetor, and one that leads back to the fuel tank. That said, in looking at my factory service manual for a '72, I'm not seeing the vapor recovery system. Maybe someone else can chime in. I was more of a car mechanic at the Chevy dealer, in '72, so my memory may be off a little.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
BCOWANWHEELS

yep, that's what I,ve got. its totally different than my 71 c10
Old 03-27-2017, 11:25 PM   #5
In The Ten Ring

Here is what I went through (and am still going through).

My truck is a 1972, so it has the "emissions" control you are talking about. All that amounts to is venting back into the tank and a vent line to a charcoal canister under the hood over by the battery tray.

My truck sat for 10 years in dad's garage but he surprised me by getting it running again in 2004. However, it had less power (I used to drive it in high school in the early 90's) and would quit at red lights. This never happened before. I suspected rust in the fuel.

Back when I started on my truck (it had sat another 8 years in my garage) I pumped out the fuel and had the carb rebuilt. The mechanic said and this is a quote "I have never seen so much rust come out of a carb in my whole career." He suggested I get the tank cleaned up, "renewed" they call it, and make new fuel lines. So I did that.

A radiator shop boiled out the tank, cut holes in the sides, sandblasted and coated the insides, welded the sides back up, and sent it back to me. I painted it silver and the neck black. I have it back in the cab now but naturally I want to move the fuel cutoff valve I put in there but I can do that later. I still need to hook up the charcoal canister/get one that will fit. The truck is not ready to be started yet.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:28 PM   #6
BCOWANWHEELS

its called EEC system
Old 03-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

OK, so that being the case, did you toss the vapor canister and associated equipment? If not, a thorough cleaning of the components, replacement of the neoprene hoses, and fresh fuel should get you going just fine. BTW, there is an air filter on the bottom of that vapor canister that keeps large chunks out of the vapor recovery system. You can buy them at any auto parts store.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
BCOWANWHEELS

I haven't removed anything yet