The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2002, 06:37 PM   #1
70chevy

Unhappy Upper Control Arms Help

I need any info on correcting my mistake. Here's what I have done. The bolt that goes through the frame that is splined when
trying to press the convex washer on which is also splined I stripped the bolt out in the frame. Problem is I can't get it back out. No place to grab a hold on it because I used washers, spacers and then tried to run it up with the bolt.
On the others I used a socket and C-clamp and pressed it on, which worked great.
Need help on the one I screwed up and what to replace it with when I do get it out. A regular bolt with lock washer?

Please any information.

Ken

70 Chevy 1/2 in process.Semi-gloss black powdercoated frame & suspension, disc brakes up front, 3" drop spindle(Beltech) 5 lug 3.73 rearend, ZZ4, Sanderson headers, 700R4, Air Ride system, Summitt 16 gal fuel cell, Holly mech. fuel pump,
70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 07:25 PM   #2
ebfabman

Ken, can you cut it off even with the frame(sawzall with a a good blade) then use a punch and knock it out. The new bolt should tighten up ok if you back it up on the frame side with a wrench or socket.

Anyway you can post a pic of what you're doing?

You may need to torch it off and get more washer/spacers.
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 07:36 PM   #3
ebfabman

Ok, just went out and looked at one (been working on to many different vehicles)

How about this, take off the control arm, if you can't knock out then cut it off at the spacer then with a big hammer and a punch knock it through.
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 08:07 PM   #4
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

If I understand your delima (sp), the bolt is spinning. If you can weld, weld a nut or a cut off bolt to the head or just tack weld the head to the frame. A bolt/nut would give you something to grab onto. You could also grind the head off and punch it through (said before I think). Last resort would be to grab the threaded end with vice grips and back the nut off. You may have to take a hack saw/cut off wheel to the bolt if you ding up the threads to bad. Good Luck.
"It's funny till someone gets hurt, then it's freakin' hilarious"
70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 10:41 PM   #5
70chevy

Got guys, I cut the nut off and it backed out. I believe the spline is stripped out. I think I will put back in a #8 bolt with a head on and nut. This way I can get a socket through the frame and lock it down.

Thanks, guys.

70 Chevy 1/2 in process.Semi-gloss black powdercoated frame & suspension, disc brakes up front, 3" drop spindle(Beltech) 5 lug 3.73 rearend, ZZ4, Sanderson headers, 700R4, Air Ride system, Summitt 16 gal fuel cell, Holly mech. fuel pump,
70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote