The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2003, 08:58 AM   #1
71Rat
ran out of money

need help for english paper!

hello everyone, i am in dire need of some of your help. my problem is that i need to write a controversial essay. now my problem is that i have to prove how small block chevy's are better then big block's, and how they are or can be built to. any help would be great.... i wish i had a big block tho....... thanks everyone for all your help
Michael
Old 05-01-2003, 12:19 PM   #2
Scottri

The fact that small blocks are easier to get original and after market parts for. A few pages from a JEGS or Summit catalog would prove that. The fact that many more of them where produced and for much longer than Big Blocks. The kits available for small blocks such as a stroker, high RPM or RV packages. The junkyards are full of them. They fit in damn near anything GM produced.

Scott
Scottri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:22 PM   #3
bpmcgee

Continuing Scotts thoughts -- It's likely that you could argue they are a better value to build if you measure with a $/HP basis.
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:25 PM   #4
cleatussnow

Just remember that when you are writing your paper to let the reader of the paper know what a big block is and what a small block is... I wrote a similar paper in HS and the teacher gave me a "C" due to the fact that she did not know what a big or a small block was...

Cleatus
Old 05-01-2003, 08:55 PM   #5
Vince M

Taking the other point of view..I wouldn't say a SB is better...definately cheaper and more abundant...but not necessarily better.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:23 PM   #6
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Gas mileage, weight, cost of parts (those are the three biggest things that come to mind)
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:07 PM   #7
oldsub86

My advice would be to find a different subject matter. I remember when I was in highschool, I did a project explaining how a basic radio worked. The English teacher was a twit who said my project was too technical and did not give me a good mark for it.

I know it is easier and more interesting for you to write about something you are interested in and care about but remember that getting good grades usually means that you need to figure out the teacher and respond with what they want to hear about. You will be much safer to pursue some more generic issue unless you know for sure that the teacher is a gear head like you.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:25 AM   #8
71Rat
ran out of money

thanks everyone

thank you everyone for all of your help!

Cleatussnow- by any chance do you have that paper still? if u do could i use it? well now word for word i would change some things around..... anything would be great, thanks again everyone

Michael
Old 05-02-2003, 12:59 PM   #9
low 84

Quote:
Originally posted by oldsub86
My advice would be to find a different subject matter. I remember when I was in highschool, I did a project explaining how a basic radio worked. The English teacher was a twit who said my project was too technical and did not give me a good mark for it.

I know it is easier and more interesting for you to write about something you are interested in and care about but remember that getting good grades usually means that you need to figure out the teacher and respond with what they want to hear about. You will be much safer to pursue some more generic issue unless you know for sure that the teacher is a gear head like you.
i kinda agree. not to dash your plans, but in my senoir year of h.s. we had to write an "epic style" poem. i did mine on a street race. we read them allowed and mine flowed better than anyone elses in class. but i got a C. i think the teacher was just ignorant

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 01:12 PM   #10
Scottri

How about a small block Chevy vs Rice. Dollar for Dollar, Horsepower vs Horsepower. The ease and cost of building up a small block vs building "up" a Honda. No contest. Hell, the paper would write itself.

Scott
Scottri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 02:16 PM   #11
jayssunm

Sorry Oldsub, But I totally disagree! The whole point of school both High School and ultimately College is to make you think critically. Essays, papers, or epic stories are not really about the subject but about the knowledge you get about yourself and your own skills. If the teacher give a "C" because s/he does not understand the real point of school then I don't believe we should bend ourselves to make it interesting for s/he.

Or course if you could write a paper good enough to change a F&#d lover into a Chevy lover I would give you an "A" for the class!

Sorry to be so opinionated on this but there are only a few things in life that I believe in myself, my love for cars, my love for music, and education.

Jay

Upgrades--small block, tilt column, disc 5 lug conversion (front and rear),

Future Projects--suburban gas tank under the bed, rear roll pan, better gas mileage (currently about 6-10 MPG)
jayssunm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 02:28 PM   #12
oldsub86

Hey Jay

I couldn't agree with you more. I think it is unfair and unreasonable for teachers to grade based on their own prejudices BUT human nature being what it is, we all know it happens.

My point was that you may enjoy your cars and think a lot about Ford vs Chevy or big vs small blocks but most teachers are not interested. You will do better if you figure out what they want to hear and give it to them. It is know as regurgitating (did I spell that right). Most teachers will tell you they want you to think but in my experience what they really want is for you to think like them. Sad but in my experience, true.

If he really wants to write on an auto related issue, he would likely be better to write something along the lines of the pros and cons of classic cars vs new cars or something that all can understand and not just people who have had an engine apart themselves.