The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #2676
Dyslexic Dog

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Got my frame painted today after I got the motor and transmission mounted and removed.
Dyslexic Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:41 AM   #2677
MARTINSR

I hope that was removed then mounted after you painted it.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:42 AM   #2678
MARTINSR

I literally worked up a sweat boxing those plannishing hammers, holy crap! 65 lbs, it will be a work out for the post man (and me getting it in there!)

Brian
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #2679
idbeast

I dug my graphic plotter out and played with my air cleaner!
Attached Images

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:08 AM   #2680
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
VERY cool!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #2681
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Brian
I don't know about selling that Gibson, Brian. I still lament the day I sold my Martin D-35, and even my Eko 12-string electric.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #2682
Dyslexic Dog

Smile Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Brian
Twice

Had everything mounted in and checked my measurements twice. Of course the third time I realized that half of 34" is 17" not 18". Duh.
Dyslexic Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #2683
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexic Dog View Post
Twice

Had everything mounted in and checked my measurements twice. Of course the third time I realized that half of 34" is 17" not 18". Duh.
Ahhh, measure twice, cut once! It pays off big time, glad to hear you caught that.

Brian

Old 02-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #2684
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
I don't know about selling that Gibson, Brian. I still lament the day I sold my Martin D-35, and even my Eko 12-string electric.
I don't know, it never felt quite right to me, my Ovation, that is my guitar. I sold off a few, the Gibson and an early Strat Squire. I don't miss them.

Brian

Old 02-04-2019, 10:47 AM   #2685
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
That is pretty damn cool, so how did you do it?

Brian

Old 02-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #2686
DransportGarage

Quote:
I don't know, it never felt quite right to me, my Ovation, that is my guitar. I sold off a few, the Gibson and an early Strat Squire. I don't miss them.

Brian
You'll be OK then. Sounds like you kept the stuff you want. I'm still stuck with a 50-year old $50 Japanese acoustic, and it's not anywhere near Takamine grade.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #2687
svr

"I dug my graphic plotter out and played with my air cleaner!"

Very cool, Enjoyed the visit Saturday and again a big thank you, Have both door side by side and pondering what to do and how next, if i look at it long enough maybe it will come to me.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:59 PM   #2688
evilokc

okay guys whos ready to hear something stupid I did this morning? in my defense I didn't know it was dumb until I did it then I knew for sure. last night I left my truck in the driveway with no hood. it smelled like it might rain so I put a trash bag over the air-cleaner. this morning I needed to move the truck up 3 feet to get my car out. I started to pull the plastic bag off the air cleaner but I figured that I was only moving it 3 feet. I started the truck and moved it up 3 feet and when I got out I noticed the trash bad was pulled very tight to the air cleaner and it looked miss-sharpened. I pulled the bag off and sure enough the $120 air cleaner was crushed in. its destroyed. im so annoyed at myself.
Attached Images

evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #2689
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
okay guys whos ready to hear something stupid I did this morning? in my defense I didn't know it was dumb until I did it then I knew for sure. last night I left my truck in the driveway with no hood. it smelled like it might rain so I put a trash bag over the air-cleaner. this morning I needed to move the truck up 3 feet to get my car out. I started to pull the plastic bag off the air cleaner but I figured that I was only moving it 3 feet. I started the truck and moved it up 3 feet and when I got out I noticed the trash bad was pulled very tight to the air cleaner and it looked miss-sharpened. I pulled the bag off and sure enough the $120 air cleaner was crushed in. its destroyed. im so annoyed at myself.
Just to help you feel better, this crap happens to all of us all the time. I can't tell you the number of times I have gone at my own hands!

Last edited by DransportGarage; 02-05-2019 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:23 PM   #2690
evilokc

Quote:
Just to help you feel better, this crap happens to all of us all the time. I can't tell you the number of times I have gone at my own hands.!
I honestly had no idea.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #2691
idbeast

Quote:
VERY cool!
Thanks Bob!

Quote:
That is pretty damn cool, so how did you do it?

Brian

It's a plotter that cuts a vinyl sheet with adhesive on the back side. I clean up the image and then let the cutter cu out the outline then use a very sharp knife to remove the vinyl I don't want then apply a very low tack masking tape then put it on where I want it and use a squeegee to set the adhesive and pull of the low tac tape! I learned how to do this many years ago making signs at Snoqualmie Pass ski area! here are some other things I've done. this is the same stuff you use for the CHEVROLET lettering on the tailgate.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #2692
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by svr View Post
"I dug my graphic plotter out and played with my air cleaner!"

Very cool, Enjoyed the visit Saturday and again a big thank you, Have both door side by side and pondering what to do and how next, if i look at it long enough maybe it will come to me.
Thanks SVR! It was a pleasure having you stop by! and you are very welcome. I've got a couple ideas let me know if you want them, however looking at them both together might change the thinking a little!
Old 02-04-2019, 10:15 PM   #2693
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Just to help you feel better, this crap happens to all of us all the time. I can't tell you the number of times I have gone at my own hands.!
I once finger tightened the lug nuts on my '34 Ford PU, intending to torque them later. Well, guess what I forgot. I went around a corner and the left rear wheel came off. I'd lost all my lug nuts and the wobble had abraded the wheel lug nut holes so badly that my new 10x15 Cragars were ruined.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:05 AM   #2694
DransportGarage

Quote:
I honestly had no idea.
I wrote in post #2689: "...this crap happens to us all the time." There will be years of boredom, and then something like this will happen:

You should have been there the day I was tuning my '78 Plymouth Horizon. The car was idling in the garage. I had set the e-brake, and had put the car in drive as I prepared to set the idle, then burped the RPMs up to about 1200 as I fiddled with the carb. The brake released (say "SPROINGGGGG!!!), the car lurched forward with my body hung over the fender, and the front tire caught the edge of my oil catch pan that was sitting in front of the front tire. That soaked my pants and that side of the garage with five quarts of used oil. The car continued forward, crushed the legs of the parts washer that was in front of it full on, dumped three gallons of solvent into the oil on the floor, and drove what was left of the parts washer into the drywall. True story. The only thing that was missing was fire, or it would have been an Allstate commercial.

Speaking of fire, then there was the day I had just rebuilt the tripower on my '55 chevy. I got into the car and fired her up. I was in the same garage as I had been in the paragraph above, with my '85 Astro van directly behind me, in the drive on jacks. No escape. As the car's idle settled down I could have sworn I smelled a little more gas then usual. Then, WHOOOOOOMMMMMM!!! The back carb float had stuck and had dumped about a quart of petrol onto the intake manifold, over the bellhousing and headers, and onto the floor. It lit off. The wife was mowing the grass, and said a huge ball of flame licked one time at the Astro van. As I thought about it later, I realized the '55's fan had blown the fireball in that direction. She ran into the house and dialed 911. I killed the key, grabbed the extinguisher in the corner, hit the flames low, then high, then low. The fire went out, leaving black soot all over the firewall, inside the hood, and generally all over the garage. A few minutes later the fire trucks showed up. Shock was just starting to set in, but I remember one of the firemen saying, "Nice save!"

Last edited by DransportGarage; 02-05-2019 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:30 AM   #2695
b-mac

I need a fire extinguisher...
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:49 AM   #2696
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mac View Post
I need a fire extinguisher...
I hesitate to tell everyone I'm LMAO because it is such a serious topic. Get one later today!
Old 02-05-2019, 04:50 PM   #2697
mikebte

Quote:
Something you have done that I no longer have too. We all knew what would happen, but the whole "what if" in our heads gets the best of us. Thanks for the photos and the laugh. A video would have been cooler. LOL

mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:08 PM   #2698
svr

Been trying to figure out my door problem. I made a template for the outside of my door from my good passenger door. My drivers door had significan distortion right at the body line, some above, mostly below the body line. I put the template to the other door i got from idbeast and it had a bit of the same problem, not near as bad but some. Both his door and mine at some point in there life had the skins pulled away from the bodyline of the door catching on try the fender i would guess. Inside the jam they had pulled the flange of the door jam away from the skin bending the flange. After looking and thinking and measureing awhilei wondered what would happen if i hit the outside of the door if it would go back in place. Which door to hit first? New door didnt need as much so i scared up a nice 1x2 stick and a BFH and layed the stick flat on the door and hit it. It moved pretty good, a couple more hits and my template fit pretty good. Wow lets try my old door probably going to crack the paint creating body work but have nothing to loose. Same stick and hammer it took quite a few more hits moving around both above and below the body line. It worked, some fine tuning with hammer and dolly the temple fit very close to the pass side door. A bit of putty to smooth things up and am happy with the outside. Still dont have a plan for the inside problem.
Template
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2019, 11:09 PM   #2699
svr

Finished outside
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2019, 11:20 PM   #2700
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by svr View Post