The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
Ackattack

Project Family Chummins

New project....pictures first:

Might be wondering, what the heck is a Dodge doing on a chevy site. Well its step one of Family Chummins

The basic idea is (edit) 92-00 chevy crew cab with a 12v cummins - 5 speed - 4wd. My plan of attack is to put the crew cab body on the dodge frame. It will require lengthening the frame. Since I have to modify the frame anyways, I'm leaning towards making it a short bed cause I think it looks a little better and it will fit in my garage a little easier. (if I can get it in height wise )

I don't have the crew cab body yet, and I'm not real sure how quickly I will get one. Depends on a couple of things (selling house in WA, selling 69 pickup (aka No-buck))

In the mean time I'm going to drive the dodge and work on some of the issues it has. I just got it today and found it needs a few things: outer tie rods, front panhard bar, front tires, a radio, A/C fixed, speedo/tach fixed, tail light, cruise control.

The engine seems to be stock other than a straight pipe exhaust (think it might be 4", but I'm not sure). It also has rear helper air bags and a tank. I assume there is a compressor hidden some where. Right now the bags aren't filling up using the controler in the cab....so I'll have to look at that.

So other than the crew cab body, other plans are 17" mickey thompson classic (maybe 18" or 20") on 33s or 35s. Kinda depends where the ride hieght ends up...I'm thinking I might end up with a mild body lift getting the body on the frame.

I haven't decided on colors, but it will most likely be a maaco type paint job with possibly putting some bed liner down low along the rockers or maybe up to the trim line.

I'm not planning to go wild on power. I'm going to do the simple/cheap mods to the engine, so probably around 300-350 HP. Mainly looking for reliability and mileage.

Should be fun, and will be a cool rig when I'm done with it.

Last edited by Ackattack; 07-09-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote