The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

4WD Question

I have been thinking for a while on building a reverse trike (2 wheels in front), using a FWD car as a donor. I got to thinking today on the drive to work, about possibly using a 4WD truck, lowering it, and not attaching anything to the rear output shaft of the transfer case.

I was thinking a S-15 GMC truck/blazer would work for the donor.

My question is, is it OK to run with the 4wd on all the time like that, or will it end up tearing up the front end. I thought about using an AWD car/truck, and doing the same thing, but thought it would be cool to use a GMC as a donor, so my rigs can all be GMC.

Moderators, if the 4WD section would be a better fit, please feel free to move it. I wasn't sure which one to post in. Thanks!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: 4WD Question

It could be done a company years ago made front wheel drive pick up car haulers like http://www.racingjunk.com/Tow-vehicl...R-HAULER-.html just google search it you might find the company and ask how they done it.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
rambler
MOVE OVER

one of my dreams has always been ( and if I ever get rich like Leno, I'll do it ) is to take a early 50's truck,, and add a tornado transaxle and V-8 motor in it,, make it a hot FWD truck.. not sure if it will work and how hard it would be,, just always wanted one..

BTW love your truck,, learned to drive on a 61 GMC 1/2 ton long bed,, 3 on the tree,, wish I could find one again..
Old 06-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Thanks Andrew! Looks like it is feasible. Just need money and time, at the same time. LOL

That sounds like a fun ride Rambler. There is a 60-66 on here somewhere that is a rear engine rear wheel drive. I think it is using the Tornado trans.

Thanks, I love my truck too! LOL Planning on making some progress on it this weekend.

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote