The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
BigBlockBurby

85 Suburban engine help

So my 85 suburban needs a new long block, the motor it came with is an old 70's era block and heads that have been beat to hell, the guy ran it with open breathers on the valve cover and no air cleaner. It leaks oil and either way she has to come out, the wrong motor mounts are on there and its causing my engine and trans/tc to tip. My issue is, I have a rebuilt short block in my garage, from an 89 chevy pick up, TBI 350. The bottom end was rebuilt, but the heads were never done. Motor had developed a rod knock, so i pulled the motor. Blah blah blah, anywho, I have a set of 462624 heads with a fresh rebuilt, was going to use them on my suburban when I thought the top end was just the issue. Im curious, will my 462624 heads bolt up to my 89 roller block? Im trying to retain everything on the suburban (changing intake and probably carb once I get all together) any issues I'd have to deal with? Any tips for me, I just dont want to throw it all together unless Im absolutely sure the short block and heads will go together and make the truck run good you know. Any advice would be appreciated!
BigBlockBurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

Re: 85 Suburban engine help

Yes the heads will bolt up to the 89 roller block. The heads are from a 75-86 motor so you will have to use the intake that on the truck now. The only thing with the 89 block is some of those motors use a cam that does not have a fuel pump lobe. It should have the fuel pump boss on the block though...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
BigBlockBurby

Re: 85 Suburban engine help

Thats alright though, Im running an inline electric fuel pump, the fuel pump lobe on the cam of the engine thats in the suburban right now was worn down, and the guy who put this engine in didnt change out the motor mounts so the fuel pump was sucked down into the frame and wasa bigger pain in the ass to get to it so i just bypassed it. Are there any particular casting number heads youd recomend me using? I saw some literature online that said the heads i plan on using arent exactly the best, prone to cracking, etc, I dont wana put this engine together unless Im sure these heads are gona hold up to mild towing/offroading in my suburban. Im told the 462624 heads are also stronger then other castings for the year range, but id appreciate advice from people with more experience, 'swhy im here of course haha.
BigBlockBurby is offline   Reply With Quote