The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #2001
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Killer work on the tubing beader! I had it in my head it was a bender. Anyway, nice work as always.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:41 AM   #2002
hewittca

That tubing beader is really nifty! I also like the work you did to fit the rear bumper. That is always a weak point to me in custom builds, but you nailed it.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:05 AM   #2003
knomadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
I know what you're saying about SS lines. PITA! I gave up trying to get my old flaring tools to work on them and invested in the Inline Tube / Eastwood style setup. It's much much better, but not foolproof. I usually do a couple of test pieces to get the hang of it. Then hold my breath on the actual line.
That's exactly how I do it too! I had to start with a 37 degree flare (I bought the AN flare kit too) on one of mine since the 45 degree chuck wasn't holding the line. It kept pushing it out without flaring. Using the 37 degree got the flare started enough to hold it in the chuck. Worked great after that.

Nice work on the tubing beader Vic! Want to make one for me? I'd love to have one for a custom radiator hose I want to build.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:18 PM   #2004
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
I've seen it in person, and the beader is cool! Makes me wanna stay late at work and make one for myself.

Thanks again for the help yesterday, Vic. Had a fun day and Yeller is back on the ground. Please also thank Miss Kathy for the awesome lunch! We appreciate it.

(Guys, I've seen it in person, and this truck is gonna be awesome!)
Thanks Chip! Gimme a holler when you get the chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Nice work on the tool Vic!
Thx, Mike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon 1967 GMC View Post
wow what a underachiever I am (but damn proud of it lol), It's always interesting to see what you got cooking. Keep up the fire!
Will do, however, I have a hard time believing anyone on this forum is an underachiever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevis1 View Post
Even the handle is "elegant"!! Nice goin'
Grassyass, Rickster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Killer work on the tubing beader! I had it in my head it was a bender. Anyway, nice work as always.
Thanks, Mike. I found out if you get in too big of a hurry, the beader doubles as a bender.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
That tubing beader is really nifty! I also like the work you did to fit the rear bumper. That is always a weak point to me in custom builds, but you nailed it.
Thanks, I appreciate the nice words. I know what you mean about the rear bumper. Hard to find middle ground with them. Seems like it's either stock or full on custom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
That's exactly how I do it too! I had to start with a 37 degree flare (I bought the AN flare kit too) on one of mine since the 45 degree chuck wasn't holding the line. It kept pushing it out without flaring. Using the 37 degree got the flare started enough to hold it in the chuck. Worked great after that.

Nice work on the tubing beader Vic! Want to make one for me? I'd love to have one for a custom radiator hose I want to build.
It would be a lot easier for me to loan this one to you. PM me when you're ready and I'll shoot it down to you.

The radiator stuff is winding down. I just need to decide where to place the second weld bung in the upper radiator tube for the temp sender for my Classic Instruments gauges. Some photos below showing how I mocked up the upper and lower tubes as well as the fitting for the steam line. I plan to have them powder coated along with the core support and the radiator hold downs. The aftermarket radiator is a bit taller than the stock one, so I had to modify the hold downs.

I took a bunch of measurements and did a CAD drawing of the aluminum radiator cover I plan to build, so the radiator and shroud are back in the box until final assembly starts. Tomorrow, the front clip gets blown apart for the final time before paint. I have a tentative appointment for the third or fourth week of this month. Still some minor bodywork to do, but we're supposed to have two weeks of great weather coming up. Just in the nick of time...
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #2005
Xeen

It looks like the bead tool worked very well.
Paint already, woah I didn't realize you were that close, I can't wait to see it.
I'm looking forward to hearing the engine run as well.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #2006
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
It looks like the bead tool worked very well.
Paint already, woah I didn't realize you were that close, I can't wait to see it.
I'm looking forward to hearing the engine run as well.
Thanks, Brian. I'm probably closer than you realize due to the fact I did so much of the basic work before setting CRLS aside to work on the '57 Ford.

I'll be glad to get the paint dealio settled once and for all. I've bounced back and forth between doing just primer or full on paint several times. I reckon that's to be expected when the build drags on way longer than you plan. There seems to be a lot of "ho hum" when the subject of flat primer comes up. Most of the sentiment seems to be, if you spend that much time on getting the body straight, why would you put it in primer? So I'm back leaning toward paint.

The other thing I considered was doing a base color in either HotRod Flatz or a basecoat with flat clear over it. I'd accent the base color with a second color with a gloss clearcoat. The logistics of doing this are pretty formidable. So, I'm thinking I'll just forge ahead with a glossy finish overall with maybe just the bumpers and headlight buckets in flat clear.

I'm mulling over two potential schemes, but I have a few weeks before I have to make any hard choices. I used HOK's Digital Paint Booth software to do two sketches. One has a center stripe that runs the length of the hood, cowl, roof and extends down the back of the cab. The s/w won't let me replace the big rear window with a small one like I have, but you get the general idea. The other sketch is a more conventional two tone. Nothing new about it, but it still looks nice. I'l also flip the colors and see what that looks like. The suggestion box is open.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #2007
Vic1947

Here's a couple of views with the colors reversed...
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #2008
Xeen

Hmm I don't really like any of these options, it would look great in metallic silver, also consider doing a 69 Camaro SS paint scheme on it.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #2009
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice progress on the radiator tubing. I like the steam line fitting idea too. very cool!
That's a cool paint program you are using. Ultimately, You have to pick your paint scheme but I like the solid silver like your stepper in your avatar. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #2010
sduckworth13

This is getting exciting Vic. I like the second color scheme with the orange on top.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #2011
swamp rat

I like version 2 the best, nice

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #2012
knomadd

You know what they say about opinions... well, since you said the suggestion box is open... out of the options you showed, I like the orange on top, silver on bottom, but I like it all the way around the cab and top of the bed more than the fat stripe that ends above the bed header panel.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 05-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #2013
Xeen

After considering paint schemes and thinking about creative ways to allow for a second color you could do like the shaker hood cars and have just the raised part of the hood painted the secondary color of your choice in gloss with pin stripe outline.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #2014
Vic1947

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions so far. A lot to think about for sure. The 68 stepper I had was all silver and I sort of wanted something a bit different for this build. My first inclination was to do a single color in the Mango Tango shade with chrome bumpers. All that has gone by the wayside. I've always liked two tone paint jobs, even though they're not everyone's cup of tea. I'm leaning toward the second version with silver on the bottom and the orange along the top of the bed, the entire top of the cab and most of the hood.

Monday, I went to the paint shop I'm planning to use and took a print of that view with me. The owner and I discussed it and he suggested running the orange color all the way to the front lip of the hood. I gave it a try when I got home, but decided I liked the other one better. The shop is booked up right now, but he hopes to have a slot in about three weeks. Told him I had a lot of stuff ready to go right now and should have the everything by then. I hope this works out. The guys at Precision do fantastic paint, but their bread and butter is collision work. The custom stuff takes up a lot of time and space, so unless they happen to be slow, it's tough to get them to take on this kind of work. Plus, laying out tape lines for a two tone scheme with a pinstripe is not in their wheelhouse either. The guy I'm talking with is very much into the custom work, but isn't like the high end shops that won't touch a project unless they do all the metal and body work from start to finish.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #2015
knomadd

I'm with you Vic, I like the nose of the hood silver. It looks more "finished" for lack of a better term.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 05-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #2016
Vic1947

So... today was one of those days. Haven't had one in a while, so I guess I was due.

We're supposed to have a chance for showers from now thru Friday night, so I've been blocking and priming while the weather is nice. Took my dad to his eye appointment this morning and then got busy with the 2K primer. Everything was looking great until I went to move one of the fenders for more working room and skinned a spot against my tape/paper dispenser. Grumble worthy but not the end of the world. Next up was the hood, where I promptly laid down a sag in the primer. Again not a big deal but I was just getting started. I moved the fender closer to spot a little extra primer on the skinned spot and when I finished the last of the material in the cup, cleaned everything up and went in the other room to take a break. I'd left the doors up to air out the shop and all of a sudden I hear a big crash. A gust of wind had blown over the fender and now in addition to the skinned place, I had a nice dent in it.

This still isn't the end of the world, but you can sort of see it on the horizon. After using the slapper tool to remove most of the dent, I laid down some spot putty and left it to set up good. Meanwhile, I had a few things I needed to do to the doors and cab, so I figured now was a good time. The doors need some trimming on the window frames, so with everything going the way it was, I donned some protective gear to be safe and got busy with the cutoff wheel to remove the strip I'd marked. Naturally, just as things were looking righteous, the cutoff wheel hung up and kicked back. Sliced thru the leather glove and put a smile in my knuckle. So now I'm sitting here at the computer bleeding and drinking a beer. I figure another foray into the shop today could quite easily be fatal. And tomorrow is another day.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #2017
swamp rat

You will live to shine another day Vic! At least you had the proper attitude right?

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #2018
bevis1

Day like that calls for at least two more beers!
bevis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #2019
Orange67

I feel your pain, Vic. When I was working on my 67 a few years back, I had pulled the hood and front clip off. I had put my hood on the side of my garage, just to have it out of the way for a couple hours. Wind kicked up, blew it over. My perfect 67 hood now has a nice ding from 2" gravel right on the top front point.

And I agree. More beer, please.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #2020
Xeen

Yikes what a day, you were right to quit while you were ahead after that string of unfortunate events. Tomorrow will be better, keep your chin up!
Old 05-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #2021
Oregon 1967 GMC

Wow that was a bad string of luck. Sometimes I'll go back to bed and wake up on the other side.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #2022
mcbassin
Still Learning

Been there done that Vic... I feel your pain
Today is a better day..
Old 05-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #2023
knomadd

At least you had the forethought to notice the trend and stop before it became a catastrophe. Today's a new day. Hopefully you were able to sleep it off.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 05-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #2024
Vic1947

Thanks, everyone! Today was a much better day. Despite errand running and "Senior Day" at Captain D's I was able to repair the fender damage from yesterday. Also finished trimming the window frame on one of the doors, MIG welding and grinding it down. All without any further bodily injury. Apparently beer is a good coagulant. Either that or after a few you quit noticing you're bleeding. Regardless, I'm back on track today.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #2025
Xeen

I'm glad to hear you are back on track and I am looking forward to the rest of the build.