The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #26
ryans69chevy

Re: 1968 Chevrolet "Slow" and "Quiet" Build

Wow! Just read through your build. You are going all out! I love it! I gotta hold myself back from doing the same things you are lol. After seeing the cab apart that much, makes me want to do that to get all the rust out...

Very nice work so far! Is Kyle still working on his? He was patching his cab last I saw, but haven't seen any updates for awhile.
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:31 PM   #27
Originalthor

One thing is leading to another on this cab but should be 99 percent rust free when done. I was telling the guys at work I'm going to have to buy another cab to put on the truck and install a beer fridge in this one and leave it in the garage cause I don't want it to get smashed into by some smuk.

I work with Kyle and I was bugging him the other day about his truck. Ah shoot I'm always bugging him. Good guy he is. Any who he said he be working on it all summer, I said good luck something always comes up(yard work, side jobs, the lake) but he's been working on his DD lots and I think we gave him the kick on the but to get back at it with thread post lately from us. And shoot he doesn't have 3 kids should have lots of time his hands lol.

On a side note I need to get some rims for my truck cause insurance is paying for it. I want to go with steel rims and wide ones same on 4 corners Anybody got suggestions and what back spacing to get. Kinda hard to measure with the truck in pieces. I'm thinking 4.5 in the front and 5 in the back.
Originalthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:34 PM   #28
Originalthor

Well I got a little more tinkering done over the last couple of days. So much sanding lol I give my hats off to the guys that do it everyday. Mind you they have way better tools then I do.

Got the roof sanded inside and out. I'm going to have to get some rust convert stuff. On the one side its not the best. On the other side there was a pretty good dent that was fixed before so I sanded out the bondo and beat it back into place.

Made a patch and sanded down the vent area piece. It was pretty rough on the inside. Don't mind my lovely flux core welding job I got to get and get some gas one of these days. I got two Co2 tanks but they wont fill them with the argon mix so going to have to buy a new one. Oh well such as life, I just had to get at least one of who knows how many patch panels donnish.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2018, 10:35 PM   #29
Originalthor

More Pictures
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2018, 11:36 PM   #30
ryans69chevy

Nice progress! I'm loving the route you are going with taking this thing apart. What's your plan for in between the inner and outer roof skin? I think I'm going to just buy a roll of sticky insulation which is suppose to help with sound as well as heat. Im a little more limited since I have no air compressor or else I was thinking of trying lizard skin. What's your plan?

What do you and Kyle do for a job?
Old 09-23-2018, 09:23 PM   #31
Kronald_70GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans69chevy View Post
Nice progress! I'm loving the route you are going with taking this thing apart. What's your plan for in between the inner and outer roof skin? I think I'm going to just buy a roll of sticky insulation which is suppose to help with sound as well as heat. Im a little more limited since I have no air compressor or else I was thinking of trying lizard skin. What's your plan?

We work for a property maintenance company. We are basically considered "Jack of all Trades" people.

1970 GMC "Project Splice"

2017 Silverado LTZ (Daily Driver)

IG: kyle_ronald
Kronald_70GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:50 PM   #32
Originalthor

Quote:

I was Think of going with Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat through amazon. Its like 80 bucks and has good reviews.

Well after I was done doing my honey do list I was able to go out and sand down a door today. 4 hours and 4 beer later it turned out pretty good considering it was left open on the truck for 20 some years had a tree growing through it. Should of took a picture, me and buddy were using the side grinder to cut branches just to get it open more to get at the hinge bolts. I got some fixing to do on the bottom in the usual spots but nothing major. I will tell you that wire wheel on the grinder sure made short work on the rolled edge door skin area.

On the front should I grind that down more or spray that rust convert stuff on there? I Don't want to warp it or take to much metal away on a pretty straight door with only one dent.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2018, 08:05 PM   #33
ryans69chevy

Nice! Yea I think that's about the same kind of product I'm going for too. I found some at a local automotive supply house for around 70. I thought that it was a bit high, but it sounds like you are finding about the same. As long as it works I don't mind paying that.

As far as removing the rust on the door it's kind of a -whatever works- thing. For a place like that I would use my drill with a red wire wheel attachment. I found it at Harbor Freight. I think they call it a paint removed wheel. It works really slick cuz it's flexible to it can dig down into the rust pits a bit. Then after I use that I'll take an actual wire wheel attachment for the drill and go through the rust a couple more times. It's gotta be a wire wheel that has a lot of wire all separated so it flexes a lot. This is what I do. You might be able to find a better method. Just always use a face shield!! At the minimum safety glasses!
Old 09-26-2018, 01:03 AM   #34
Originalthor

Yes eye protection is a must with wire wheels. And I always seam to be getting stuff in my eyes the old safety lashes don't work as good as they use to. Got a story to go with that. I took a piece of wood dead in the center of my eye once working on my 70 chevy dump truck redoing the flat deck and dump box. I was blind in that eye for 3 weeks and still don't have the best vision in it to this day but at least it healed up and came back for the most part. Ill have to dig up some pictures of the truck it was a beauty.

On different note I was thinking and doing some random readings on here. I drive a 03 Duramax that needs a pile of body work that I don't feel like doing. I know it looks good in the pictures but there's not a lot of metal under them flares. Rockers, cab corners are done and bottoms of doors are starting to go. And just found out the other day my onstar thing on the roof has been leaking for some time and starting to rust out above the windshield. Plus a whole pile of other drive train work new diff, trani, new yoke and list goes on. It does have like 475000km+ on it. Drive it till it dies as they say.

Here's my thought. My motor just keeps on ticking. In 270000km I had to do a water pump, starter, injectors, and has only left me down once (grounding issue). Well twice but injectors are common on these engines. I Keep it very well maintained doesn't burn a drop of oil, shoot it doesn't even turn black till 6000km. And has some mods done to it.

Anybody seeing where I'm going with this. Yeah dropping my Duramax into the old chevy once it gets inspected. Got the DD as a doner. Oh and I got a extra trani sitting in my garage collecting dust. At some point I will have to refresh the motor but I checked compression at 400ish and still had 430 across the board. What do you all think crazy not to or crazy to.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #35
ryans69chevy

I don't know too much about diesels except the whole fuel injector thing. They get expensive that way. I've also heard they can be a bugger to start in cold weather which we will see a lot of (probably more you) in the winter months. I'd say go for it! Sounds like something cool and would be something people don't see everyday! I think I've only ever seen one in person with a diesel.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:36 PM   #36
Originalthor

Ahh diesels aren't all that complicated just got to take a pile of more parts to fix the small things. It's only a 12 hour job to do injectors lol. I've owned 3 diesels in my life a 6.2 6.5 turbo diesel that I stuffed a durmax intercooler in the front of it and my duramax now. All have always started in the cold weather. Good batteries and glow plugs are key in that process and a good antigel fuel additive.

Anyways I'm back on the slow in my title. Side jobs and kids sports which just got crazy cause the boy is playing on two hockey teams isn't leaving me much time to play in the garage at least on my own stuff winter is coming and so are friends cars getting ready for the snow. Good times.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:38 AM   #37
Getter-Done

Just seen you post tonight and remembered the title of the build .
I thought I was subbed on your build.
Well I am now.
Awesome job on separating the roof panels.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:50 PM   #38
zicc1835

i got to go for this ride.... subbed
zicc1835 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:43 PM   #39
Originalthor

Thanks. It wasn't the funnest taking the roof panels out but worth it I think in the end. The lower one is going to be fun to put back in as it was a bugger to get it out. But it is a lot more solid then the top one cause of the head liner grooves.

I just had to do glow plugs, tires, and now it looking like batteries on the dmax so there goes the weldling bottle for a while to recoup the cash. But thats ok i got a pile of parts to sand down still.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #40
68Gold/white

I was at a NHRA national event drag race in Houston, Texas, in early March of 1990. There was a Super Stock racer there from your town,named Xenon Kotelko...LOL I will never forget THAT name
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #41
Originalthor

Ahhhhh the "slow" on the project. Lol. Hockey started. Kid got is on two hockey teams which is great but makes me a busy man. Got my sisters house done, that ate up three weekends. Fixed 3 other vehicles. Dislocated my left shoulder(4th time no worries) and carved off a pretty good piece of my right index finger.

But on a great note the boy helped me clean the garage tonight assemble his hockey net with lovely instructions and pretty much ready to get back at it.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #42
Originalthor

Quote:
I was at a NHRA national event drag race in Houston, Texas, in early March of 1990. There was a Super Stock racer there from your town,named Xenon Kotelko...LOL I will never forget THAT name
It is a quite the name for sure. I Did ask around about him and my Horse Power parts guy new him. I've heard of a few good stories of guys going to the us to drag race. best one I heard was changing a lb7 turbo on the side of the HWY. Couldn't imaging doing that on the side of the road for the first time. Learned my lesson on changing turbo on my truck. Box wrench, Ratchet strap, and hammer makes life easy.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:18 AM   #43
Getter-Done

I am still watching this build.
What is your method of drilling the spot welds out?
You have done a great job of separating the body panels.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #44
Originalthor

Thanks. I has been a alot of drilling.

I use a drill bit a little bigger than the spot weld. But I take the bit to the bench grinder first and make a new flatter angle. I can do about 20ish spot welds before I have to re sharpen. The first couple you have to be really carefull cause you can drill through right quick.

I could never justify paying 60 bucks for a spot weld bit. I'm just using cheaper ones. Easier to grind down and I don't have to grind down the spot weld either
Old 11-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #45
Getter-Done

Thanks for the info.
I though those holes looked different
than ones drilled with a spot weld drill.
Probably 10 degree angle you grind on the twist drill?
That will save some money.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:43 AM   #46
Originalthor

Yup I pretty much make my own. I find the cheaper the bit the better it last go figure.

I did try drilling some more spot weld to take a brake from sanding but the shoulder wasn't having anything to do with that so I sanded another door down. Here I thought this was the better door until I got going. There was a pile of bondo on it. I got a pretty good scrape down the side on the bottom. A couple of mirrors were installed and the bottom needs to be replaced. Oh well just another patch panel to add to the list.

Next up are the fleet sides. Two times the area to sand cant wait. But they did come off the red truck so no bondo on those. It seems to be the blue one has been painted once. Picture time
Old 11-27-2018, 01:46 AM   #47
Originalthor

Ok tomorrow will be pictures my phone isn't cooperating.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:03 AM   #48
Getter-Done

Good deal
I will be waiting too see the pics.
I finally started my build thread.
next step I will put
the thread in my signature
Looking forward to your pictures.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #49
Originalthor

There we go I guess I can only upload one picture at a time. Thanks Kyle for the help
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2018, 09:14 PM   #50
Andyking1203

Looks like you have your hands full.. nice job!!! I got luck with no rust on mine in the roof area!!!
Andyking1203 is offline   Reply With Quote