The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2020, 09:43 PM   #1
kglowacky

side running lights

wiring my 78 with a painless harness. Do the side lights on the front fenders run all the time with the lights or are they side blinkers. or both I can wire how ever I want, Thanks
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:06 PM   #2
kipps

Re: side running lights

I think I understand this correctly. If not, someone please chime in with more accurate info.

The side marker is wired BETWEEN the two circuits you mentioned. It's a very low wattage bulb compared to the front marker and turn signal filaments. This is very important for proper operation.

When the turn signal filament is lit, but the front marker filament is not, 12v power flows through the high resistance side-marker bulb, illuminates it, and goes to ground through the front marker filament. The front marker filament is a low enough resistance(high wattage) that it doesn't illuminate.

The same thing happens in reverse when the front marker is illuminated, but the turn signal is not.

When both filaments are lit, the side marker bulb sees 12v on both sides, so it's not lit.

The final result, is that the side marker bulb illuminates with the front markers and tail lights, but it also flashes with the turn signals.

When flashing, the side marker will be flashing out of sync with the turn signals. I.E. when the turn signal is on, the side marker will be off, and vice versa.

This arrangement is very picky with LED bulbs. The side marker lights need a bulb that can take current flow in both directions. Common LED's can't do this, unless they include gadgetry to specifically let them do so.
Attached Images

1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote