The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
jtj143

Question Insurance debate - Hagerty vs. ??

Hello folks,

I've had the old truck insured for replacement value through Hagerty for a couple of years. The premiums are extremely affordable, and the restrictions are tolerable...or so I thought.

We have a Christmas Tree Farm (do you see where this is going?) and on our tree farms' facebook page, I posted a promotional photo of the truck in a 'work' pose. Our local insurance agent, who is a facebook friend, sent a pm explaining that the truck can not be insured by Hagerty if it's used for a business. Fair enough - so I responded that it was simply a publicity shot and that was the end of it....
...Until a Hagerty representative called today. She calmly and politely stated that vehicles that they insure will not be covered if they so much as carry a bag of trash to the dumpster. She went on to say that NOTHING is permitted to be in the bed of the truck. She said that for this reason, they must watch pickup owners carefully.

So, besides the fact that the insurance agent a douchebag, what do you think about this??
AND more importantly, what are good insurance alternatives?? I'm sure that there is already a thread or an advertiser that addresses this, could someone direct me to the information?

This is a bit long...Thanks For Reading!

https://www.facebook.com/LazySpread
Attached Images

'65 GMC Suburban 4X4, '71 GMC 4X4 LWB - The Yellow Eyed Monster, '86 C10 Silverado - Oldest Daughter's Pickup, '88 S15 GMC Work Truck, '95 GMC SLE 4X4 - Second Daughter's Truck, '99 K1500 GMC Suburban Road Trip Machine, 2000 C2500 W/T Utility Bed Work Truck, '03 Silverado - Wife's Grocery Getter
jtj143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
stomper

Re: Insurance debate - Hagerty vs. ??

I have an Allstate policy that allows me to phone my agent to place my K5 in/out of 'suspend' status on a daily basis. In suspend = fire, theft insurance. Out of suspend = Adding comp, collision, etc. I keep it at a weekend house so that works well for me. Only drive it 2-3 days a month and can do anything I want with it.
The agent also offers Hagerty but any mention of actually using the truck makes them baulk at writing a policy with Hagerty.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Fantom

Hagerty sucks.... To me, it's basically for trailer queens. They have so many restrictions, if you drive it for anything other than going to & from car shows, you're possibly violating the terms of your policy.
Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
69sixpackbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Hagerty sucks.... To me, it's basically for trailer queens. They have so many restrictions, if you drive it for anything other than going to & from car shows, you're possibly violating the terms of your policy.
Maybe so but, I was throwing money down the crapper with Allstate for insuring my A12 Bee for a car that I DID drive to shows and rarely sees 500 miles a year. I didn't find Hagerty that unreasonable. If I was out for a saturday jaunt and I got t-boned, they (Hargerty) would be hard pressed to know if I was coming from a show or not. I can carry bags in my trunk----like a douchebag insurance agent-----if you like :0
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
BB72CHEVKT

I don't understand how your agent is a douche bag for looking out for your best interests. He saw a picture that appeared to show commercial use of the truck and advised you of the potential risk. What if he said nothing and you had a claim that Hagerty denied? How would you feel about the agent then?
Old 10-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
drunkbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
I don't understand how your agent is a douche bag for looking out for your best interests. He saw a picture that appeared to show commercial use of the truck and advised you of the potential risk. What if he said nothing and you had a claim that Hagerty denied? How would you feel about the agent then?
I think the agent would be a douche bag for taking it to the next level by reporting it to the representative who later called. Just my opinion.
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
Ackattack

I have hagerty on my 68 that pretty much sits in the garage far too much. Pretty much a few car shows and cruise ins. I haul my cleaning crap and chairs in it for car shows does that count?
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtj143 View Post
Hello folks,

I've had the old truck insured for replacement value through Hagerty for a couple of years. The premiums are extremely affordable, and the restrictions are tolerable...or so I thought.

We have a Christmas Tree Farm (do you see where this is going?) and on our tree farms' facebook page, I posted a promotional photo of the truck in a 'work' pose. Our local insurance agent, who is a facebook friend, sent a pm explaining that the truck can not be insured by Hagerty if it's used for a business. Fair enough - so I responded that it was simply a publicity shot and that was the end of it....
...Until a Hagerty representative called today. She calmly and politely stated that vehicles that they insure will not be covered if they so much as carry a bag of trash to the dumpster. She went on to say that NOTHING is permitted to be in the bed of the truck. She said that for this reason, they must watch pickup owners carefully.

So, besides the fact that the insurance agent a douchebag, what do you think about this??
AND more importantly, what are good insurance alternatives?? I'm sure that there is already a thread or an advertiser that addresses this, could someone direct me to the information?

OK I use "JC Taylor" insurance.
I pay $300.00 a year for $16K worth of Coverage on my 72 GMC Shortbed Fleetside.
I have all my other vehicles/House Insured through Farmers Insurance.
I didn't like the Fact that my Truck (through Farmers),
would only be covered through their system of Checks/Balances.
Another words he told me if my Truck were to be Salvaged,
due to Fire/Theft/Accident, I'd be lucky to get $6-7K for it.
Ive got almost TWICE that much into it.
He (my Farmers Agent) turned me onto JC Taylor,
and he acts as the agent (go between) for me.
My Farmers agent, lets me know when the Premiums for JC Taylor are due,
and any issues/claims, I go throiugh HIM, as opposed to talking with a Rep who knows NOTHING ABOUT ME OR MY TRUCK.
I've been using this same Agent for almost 20 years,
and the fact that he's kind of an "all-in-one" Agent,
is a great advantage to me.
So I can kinda see how your local Agent was covering his butt,
when he saw your pictrure.
So I think Hagerty over reacted...DEFINATLEY.
The Haggerty Agent that called you, was a Bit**h an knows nothing about the passion that goes along with owning our Trucks.

Heres a link......
http://www.jctaylor.com/

Let us know what you decide/do.
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
I have hagerty on my 68 that pretty much sits in the garage far too much. Pretty much a few car shows and cruise ins. I haul my cleaning crap and chairs in it for car shows does that count?
i wonder the same.. looking for a different insurance soon

87-Silverado Static Drop 5/7" Raceline Explosion 5 22X8.5 (F) 22X10 (R)
hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
original-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
Downtown

My experience with Hagerty has been good. When I took out the policy on my 1966 caprice and 1974 honda cb750, they seemed very helpful. I asked what were the limits on using each. I was told there were no mileage limits and as far as use they were not to be my daily drivers. When I ask for clarification on that, the agent said " Enjoy your vehicles, drive them when you want and not just shows, but don't use them for or drive them to work everyday." I haven't had any claims, but I did read through the policy and didn't see anything that would contradict anything I was told.

72 Super Cheyenne Longbed 350 49,000 original miles and My dad ordered it new

66 Chevy Caprice 2 dr

74 Honda CB750

New Palestine, IN
Downtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #11
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtj143 View Post
Hello folks,

I emailed this Thread to MY Insurance Agent.

This was HIS take on your Delema.....

"Most insurance companies restrict business use, even on vehicles that are not collector cars, although they can usually add that rating or use to normal use vehicles or use a commercial policy to cover it. Because policies for collector cars assume limited use (hence the cheap rate), they don't usually allow for any business use, but I think calling it business use if you have the truck in a business picture is a stretch. The same would go for hauling anything in a pickup bed. Typically there isn't any restriction on it, but hauling anything significant on a regular basis would probably go beyond the limited use clause. Obviously most collectors are not going to haul gravel or dirt or anything like that anyway, but if you go for a Sunday drive and put a picnic basket in the back, that's fine. I don't have access to Haggerty's policy, but I would be surprised if it was so restrictive that you couldn't haul anything. Most likely they misinterpreted or maybe they had other reason's for being difficult".
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
Bill72

Once Hagerty understood that I had other trucks for work and towing they even made an exception (noted in my account) that they would allow a truck they insure to haul another truck they insure on a trailer to shows/meets etc. Their policy is to not allow towing, but they made this exception.

They let my kids drive the truck because they see them as future customers that may never be interested in the hobby if they don't get interested now.

Since there are no mileage limitations, I asked if there was a problem taking the truck on a trip coast to coast. Their response was "no problem". They encourage me to enjoy the truck and that is why they don't have mileage restrictions. Just don't use it as a daily driver or a weekend work truck/hauler and keep it locked inside. The policy states nothing contrary to what they said.
Bill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #13
DBear

I just got a quote for my Burb at Hagerty's, with 15,000 value, quote was $206 per year.

I wonder if there is classic insurance out there for semi-daily driver?
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:27 AM   #14
oldspowered67C10

Last time I had to get classic car insurance I looked through them all and actually found that the best way to go was through my regular insurer(state farm). They have a classic car program and the prices are very reasonable. There are the typical restrictions(garage kept, no daily driver use, etc.) but my agent was actually rather nonchalant about the restrictions and gave me the impression that they weren't very strict about enforcement of the rules although I never made a claim so that might have changed if I had made a claim. Definitely worth a look though.
oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

So Haggerty won't insure a show quality truck if it gets hired out for an ad prop? You need to speak to someone over that person's head. I guess with a garage stored classic you can't set something in the bed to save space in the garage? Does this mean you can't put a cooler or your duffel bag in the bed? Does it mean classic cars can't put anything at all in the trunk? No,never,it's just not true. I have Haggerty and the pictures I sent then showed a tool box mounted in the bed and they never asked about it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #16
PHAT TONY

I have haggy ins as well; un-appraised $30,000 value, everything under the sun coverage with approximated 5000 kilometers/year (3000 miles) usage, but that was my answer when asked how much I drive it-all done over the phone with only 3 pictures e-mailed. The only hiccup was a policy increase when the pics showed my Blazer's lowered a little; even though it's all bolt-in it's still considered modified.

Actually the only problem I see here is that when life becomes published public property (facebook/twitter etc.), there's bound to be reaction for most every action.
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #17
blkcorvair

I have always used american collectors insurance. They have been very reasonable in all aspects
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #18
Dunenutt
Newbee

I have Grundy insurance. Have had no issues, but my truck has yet to drive, LOL.
The only restrictions I found, were "recreational purposes only", Garaged, ect.
I can't see them freaking out if you have a cooler, chairs, and an easy up in the bed. Mine will never haul anything again, it's got two brothers to do the work.

Maybe give them a call.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #19
sbc10guy

I was wondering what kind of experiences anybody has had with grundy. Im thinking of switching to them from state farm for my chevelle and c10 next spring. There rates seem really fair. State farm doesnt want to give me what my car was just appraised for if it were to get wrecked, and since its not a 69 or older its not considered a collector and it always stays at 69 for the cutoff if that makes any sense? Idk, just dont want to switch to something that would also be less than desirable.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #20
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

I would switch agents if they told me I could not haul a restored motorcycle or my old 1967 Avion camper (being restored) in my restored Longhorn. Those restrictions just seem ridiculous and out of character with the intent of enjoying your restored vehicle. I was told by Haggerty that I could make dump runs and other errands with my truck...just no daily driving to work.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #21
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I have Grundy on my 75 nova i have yet to have a problem with them (i have not filed a claim) they encourage you to enjoy your vehicle. Just no daily like to work driving and keep it in a garage. Mileage is unlimited

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #22
jocko

ditto - same as hubscrub. I have grundy - chose them after a long talk with both them and hagerty. I must've gotten the same agent at hagerty as jtj143.... thus my grundy policy. I asked specific questions about the use of the truck, they were understanding and reasonable. But again - have not made a claim. Am wondering if anyone has THAT terrible experience to relay? Any problems, did they get grilled on use, etc etc.... Great question btw.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #23
jtj143

I appreciate all of the feedback;

wwotr - Thank you for speaking to your agent and for recommending http://www.jctaylor.com/

I am surprised about the range of leniency that Hagerty seems to afford it's clients. As the Hagerty agent and I spoke, I wondered about car show equipment (cleaning supplies, chairs, coolers, etc.) and I wondered about the trunk of a car...but our conversation took a direction away from these (I forgot to ask). She was very clear about the fact that nothing is to be carried in the bed of a truck that is insured by them. Nothing.

I plan to research all the suggestions made in this thread, and I will re-familiarize myself with the Hagerty policy before speaking with an agent one more time.

DBear - "I wonder if there is classic insurance out there for semi-daily driver?"....

...that seems to be the void in the marketplace. The vehicle is not show quality, but it's resale value is much, much more than 'blue book value'. A ideal insurance product will allow me to drive, use, and enjoy the vehicle while providing a suitable amount of coverage.
'65 GMC Suburban 4X4, '71 GMC 4X4 LWB - The Yellow Eyed Monster, '86 C10 Silverado - Oldest Daughter's Pickup, '88 S15 GMC Work Truck, '95 GMC SLE 4X4 - Second Daughter's Truck, '99 K1500 GMC Suburban Road Trip Machine, 2000 C2500 W/T Utility Bed Work Truck, '03 Silverado - Wife's Grocery Getter
jtj143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #24
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
My experience with Hagerty has been good. When I took out the policy on my 1966 caprice and 1974 honda cb750, they seemed very helpful. I asked what were the limits on using each. I was told there were no mileage limits and as far as use they were not to be my daily drivers. When I ask for clarification on that, the agent said " Enjoy your vehicles, drive them when you want and not just shows, but don't use them for or drive them to work everyday." I haven't had any claims, but I did read through the policy and didn't see anything that would contradict anything I was told.
What I have done in the past when told the exact same from the agent on the phone is to ask them to send that to me VIA email and sign it.

NONE will!
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote