The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #76
xpickup

Re: 48 panel truck

Handfull 54, Thank you. I think my son and I will enjoy it the most. He loves to be in it will I work on it. He sets in it and acts like he is driving it. I plan on my 54 truck to be a father son project in a few years.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #77
xpickup

Well I was i need of a front bumper, apron and bumper brackets so my buddy found me a whole assembly for $50. The bumper will be stripped (chrome) and painted and the apron is in good shape so I will sand it and fix one small bend. I thought it was a good deal. I will be putting it on in the next couple weeks. I have to finish up some things on the 48 truck.

Shannon
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #78
oldman3

Nice fine.....Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #79
xpickup

I have been gathering parts for the panel while I work on the truck. I bought a rear disc brake kit, e brake cables and wiper arms and blade for my power wipers. I also am going to weld in some rockers and cab corners in my buddies s10 for a long bed s10 frame with the front suspension and a 4x4 rear for my 54 cab. I might also got a 88 5.7 and 700r4 tranny. It has been a good week. I am just collecting parts, but that will be another build. I think I have a problem!

Shannon
Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #80
Daze57

we all have the same problem
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #81
xpickup

Well the 48 pickup is gone and the panel is back in the garage. Thank God that I mounted a winch to the garage floor because I got the S!@3s of pushing everything in and out. And needed it to pull in the panel. Naturally the panel did not start because the electric fuel pump was not working. It just worked about 2 months ago. So now I have to figure out if it is dead or no power or ground. The only wire I like is weld wire!

Shannon
Old 03-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #82
xpickup

Electric pump was not dead, I was a bad terminal or ground. I disconnected everything and hooked it all back up after I checked the power at the fuse box and it started to work again. I also bought a new toy, I pick it up this week sometime. It is a 3 foot jump shear rated a 16 gauge. It should be very useful.

Shannon
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #83
_Ogre

sweet nice tool addition

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #84
oldman3

Man, that should work out nice for you.....Jim
Old 03-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #85
99 to Life

Great addition to your tool collection. Sounds like your next project is under way. I love collecting parts. Knowing you got something lined up is a great feeling, but can get overwhelming too. But, I'd rather have something than not have it at all.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #86
xpickup

_Ogre, oldman3, 99 to Life, Yes it will be nice to be able to shear most stuff at home. Most times when I have to cut something really long I clamp my long straight edge on the sheet metal and use the plasma cutter.

99 to Life, My other truck is getting its parts lined up. I have all the sheetmetal for it or can make what I need (have a set of bed side blanks allready, can make, tail gate, splash aprons, roll pan and running boards) thank fully. Have the S10 chassis and the motor and trans. I need to find a drive shaft so I can cut the ends off and then I can make the new one at work. One of the perks of working in a machine shop! Now I only need time, space, and money. HAHA

Shannon
Old 03-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #87
PRWFAB

Hey X haven't talked for awhile. just FYI check out York craigslist. there is a guy that got a bunch of stuff for 48-54 for sale. Prices don't look to bad there is a pic way down at the bottom of the list. My truck funds are empty or I would be grabing the front fenders. One of these days we got to meet up. My schedule always messed up LOL
I did start working on mine again soon ready to slide the frame under.
Later
PRWFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #88
xpickup

PRWFAB, Yes we will have to meet up. I will have to check out Craigslist to see what he has. Not that I need anything else! My wife does not know half the stuff I have. Glad you are working on it. I did not see you on for a while.

Shannon
Old 03-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #89
AUSSIE54

G'day Shannon,

Great to see you are back onto the panel! Also love the look of the new toy in the shed. I'll bet you'll be putting that to good use in no time at all. Also wondering how you can be sure that your missus doesn't follow your thread? :-)

Regards,

Trently.
Posted via Mobile Device
AUSSIE54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #90
xpickup

AUSSIE54, It has been back in the garage for a week now and the only thing I got done was fix the wiring for the fuel pump. Right now it will be 7 days a week at work. Go figure, now that I was going to work on it! And trust me my wife wants nothing to do with my OLD RUSTY TRUCKS so i know she does not check the site. Even when one is finish she still would drive it. She will go to the car shows with me but she says the all look the same just different colors. And then I feel rushed so I try to go with just my son. I bought the shear last night and got it in the garage last night too. I am glad I had cinder blocks because the engine lift would not lift high enough so I had to block it up and pull the truck out from under it. I have to clean it up and may have the get the cutting edges ground but I still got good deal on it.

Shannon
Old 03-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #91
1950chevytruck

nice work...like your idea on chassis...keep up the good work Im very inspired and motivated by your work...
1950chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #92
xpickup

1950chevytruck, Thank you. The g body frame did work out all right. It is a little wide. I made my own rockers and inner door panels when I did it years ago. I started probably 12 years ago and that was way be i had internet. So I had to make most if my panels.

We have been very busy at work and have been working 7 days a week there so I have not got much done. Last week was 64 hours and this week was 65 but I still have been working on it. I made the brackets for the front bumper and have that on now. I want to smooth it out by welding the bolts to the inside plus raise it a inch. The front bumper is only a little over 4 inch so I will cheat an inch that way. I may have to take of the drop spindles but I will try it first. Now the whole thing is on jack stands because the front wheels (Boss 338s) do not fit the discs without spacers so I am taking them to work and I will chuck them up on a lathe and return the dia. where they hit. I also have the back wheels off so I can put on the back disc brakes. I pulled the axle out and have to cut up the backing plate to make a spacer out of it, unless I feel like just making a new one if I have the right material.
I only have 2 months till the street rod show is in town so I have a lot of things to do to at least get it on the road.

Shannon
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #93
1950chevytruck

right on .. I will be falling your post for advise and youngrodders hope you guys dont mind??
Old 04-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #94
oldman3

Like the way the front end looks. Hope the wheels work out OK. Hope you make it to Nats East with the panel, make sure to take plenty of pics....Jim
Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #95
AUSSIE54

Looks great Shannon!! Love the lowness but would be scary on uneven ground eh? I thought maybe with your skills that you might section an inch out of the bumber horizontally. Benefits would be in not having to plug weld the bolt holes! Ha ha ha.

Trently.
AUSSIE54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #96
xpickup

1950chevytruck, no problem, If you have any questions or need any pictures of anything just give me a shout.

oldman3, I like the look of it but I will see how it is driving it first. The wheels fit now, it is just like everything you seem to buy , nothing fits without modifying it!

Trently, That is funny because I thought of that. We really do think alike!

Fixed the rotors after work today. I turned them down to 2.300 and back .500 and now they fit the wheels now. That dia. is the same size of the dust cap. I am glad I work in a machine shop and could not imagine not being able to just do it. The front end is all back together now. Next is to modify the Boss cap by thinning down the tabs. Hopefully that works, if not I will figure out something else. Next is the rear brakes.

Shannon
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #97
1950chevytruck

thanks xpickup
Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #98
xpickup

We have been so busy at work that I can not work on it as much as I would like. But I have been working on the rear brakes. I bought the speedway kit with the emergency brake (GM metric caliper). They sent a brake pad spacer with it and could not figure out where it went. When I put the pads in the caliper and used my dial calipers to check the gap it was .243 bigger than the rotor. The brake pad spacers one thickness was just that. I then figured that that spacer was for a non emergency brake caliper. So I called them and asked them about it and naturally they had no idea what I was talking about and no one else ever had the same problem. They told me just to run it without a spacer. I checked it out and I could run it without a spacer but I did not like the distance that the piston moved out. I work in a machine shop so I thought I would make 2, but then thought that I could buy a set of cheap pads I could chisel off the brake material and loose the squealers and the rest of the junk on them. I could not make them for the $10 they cost. So that is what I did, I also took a 1/4 mill and put a notch in them for the little pin. They are .200 thick. They fit right between the piston and the brake pad and it worked out great. Tonight I managed to get the drivers side bracket welded on. I am cheap and figured I would buy the weld on kit because it was close to a $100 cheaper. I also bought the Ididit emergency brake cables so I will hook then up too. I am using a s10 foot emergency pedal and have to mount it yet. I am checking off some things on my list finally!

Shannon
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #99
mud.man.rj

Cool man, you have some nice Fab work going on for money saving, skill rulles.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #100
oldman3

Shannon, you the man. Nice work and using your brain both at the same time, now why can't I do that......Jim