The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2018, 02:02 AM   #1
Q.8

Aftermarket automatic column fit original steering wheel ( help)

Hello guys. Im going to use 350/700r4 im my suburban 1958
& i like to keep the original steering wheel beside im going to update it with aftermarket power steering kit.

Can you help me wich column i should buy? I saw many in ebay with great price (about 200$) but im afraid it will not work good.
So what you think!?
Thanks in advance

--c30 1966 frame off 5 years restoration ; Finished;

Chevy suburban 1958 restoration ( In progress )

85 c10 "back to original project <Finished> "

81 c10 "back to original ( later) "

85 c10 cattleman edition lifted ( finished)>

K1500 1989 full restoration ( soon )

S10 1991 in progress
Q.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
roger55

Re: Aftermarket automatic column fit original steering wheel ( help)

Ididit tilt column shift. Kit included the dash mount.
Original wheel fit great without use of any spacer.

I used the CPP 400 steering box which makes the column mount further in and wheel closer to the dash.
The dished 57-59 wheel fits perfectly with this combo but the 54-56 wheel would be too close to the dash.

However, the column shifter makes the stock placement of the key switch really inconvenient because it's kind of blocked by the gear shift lever. I moved the location of the key switch over to the right where the ash tray was. I did away with the ash tray.

Mockup:

Just for interest sake, I tried a '54-56 wheel. You can see the issue:

Now:

Last edited by roger55; 01-20-2018 at 11:14 AM.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #3
mr48chev

I have to agree with Roger55. This is one spot on the build that you absolutely do not cut corners and buy the cheap Ebay column. Spend the money once and buy an Ididit or a Flaming River column. Ever hot rod and truck forum has threads that tell of having to pull the cheap ones out and throw them away and buy the good one.

If the budget just doesn't allow for a quality unit from Ididit or Flaming river buy a good used unit out of a GM car or truck. That may not be a viable option where you are at though.

I would contact Ididit https://www.ididitinc.com/ Directly (via email) explain in Detail exactly what you need and that you want to use that stock wheel. Include the suspension and steering setup you have in the truck and any other detail.

Also make sure that you tell them exactly where you live so they don't suggest going to one of the common vendors such as Summit unless they give you the exact part number to order with. Meaning that if they don't like to sell direct they give you the exact part number (s) and the vendor (s) that they suggest buying from.

The Exact fit that uses the stock wheel and connects to the factory steering box is rather expensive but would solve a lot of headaches in that following directons it is a bolt in. The Universal columns will take a bit of thinking to install but cost a lot less. Thing there is you may have an issue installing the stock wheel without certain changes.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:31 AM   #4
Q.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post

I used the CPP 400 steering box which makes the column mount further in and wheel closer to the dash.
The dished 57-59 wheel fits perfectly with this combo but the 54-56 wheel would be too close to the dash.

However, the column shifter makes the stock placement of the key switch really inconvenient because it's kind of blocked by the gear shift lever. I moved the location of the key switch over to the right where the ash tray was. I did away with the ash tray.

Mockup:

Now:

Thanks foe help. Your truck amazing👌🏼 Any parts number? Or web link thats help

S10 1991 in progress
Old 01-21-2018, 12:34 AM   #5
Q.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I have to agree with Roger55. This is one spot on the build that you absolutely do not cut corners and buy the cheap Ebay column. Spend the money once and buy an Ididit or a Flaming River column. Ever hot rod and truck forum has threads that tell of having to pull the cheap ones out and throw them away and buy the good one.

If the budget just doesn't allow for a quality unit from Ididit or Flaming river buy a good used unit out of a GM car or truck. That may not be a viable option where you are at though.

I would contact Ididit https://www.ididitinc.com/ Directly (via email) explain in Detail exactly what you need and that you want to use that stock wheel. Include the suspension and steering setup you have in the truck and any other detail.

Also make sure that you tell them exactly where you live so they don't suggest going to one of the common vendors such as Summit unless they give you the exact part number to order with. Meaning that if they don't like to sell direct they give you the exact part number (s) and the vendor (s) that they suggest buying from.

The Exact fit that uses the stock wheel and connects to the factory steering box is rather expensive but would solve a lot of headaches in that following directons it is a bolt in. The Universal columns will take a bit of thinking to install but cost a lot less. Thing there is you may have an issue installing the st
ock wheel without certain changes.

Thanks alot

S10 1991 in progress
Old 01-21-2018, 01:34 AM   #6
mr48chev

I'd rather see a guy cringe a bit at the price of a good part that will last for years rather than buy a "bargain" part that may not last but a few weeks or months. There have been some guys who had those cheap columns fail in a few hundred miles.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:43 PM   #7
daveshilling

Gonna dig this one up gents...I have a GM tilt column from a motorhome now thanks to a forum member and I'd like to keep the factory wheel. Am I just going to 100% lose the horn function and need to live with it, or is there a way to make that work?
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #8
Russell Ashley

Quote:

Mockup:

Now:

Your interior is beautiful. I saw your pics and that is what made up my mind on which steering column to buy. I just installed an Ididit tilt column and my 57 steering wheel won't fit. My column is just like yours except it's chrome, so I expected my wheel to fit.. I still have wiring and linkage to take care of so I couldn't drive my truck now anyway, but now have to make a decision on a new wheel. The paperwork with my column says a 69-94 GM car wheel will fit. Too late for me now but I wonder if you can specify what wheel you want to use.
+
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:59 PM   #9
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Your interior is beautiful. I saw your pics and that is what made up my mind on which steering column to buy. I just installed an Ididit tilt column and my 57 steering wheel won't fit. My column is just like yours except it's chrome, so I expected my wheel to fit.. I still have wiring and linkage to take care of so I couldn't drive my truck now anyway, but now have to make a decision on a new wheel. The paperwork with my column says a 69-94 GM car wheel will fit. Too late for me now but I wonder if you can specify what wheel you want to use.
+
I frankly don't know what to tell you. It should fit. I have an Ididit column in my '55 Bel Air too and the original wheel fits on that as well. I do remember that both kits included a ring to take up a gap between the wheel and column but I didn't use the supplied ring with either column. The gap was perfect without it.

Explain exactly why it won't fit.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:02 PM   #10
joedoh

Quote:
I frankly don't know what to tell you. It should fit.
yes, and more than that, the splines on a gm have been the same since the AD trucks. if you takeoff the air bag module the old steering wheels will still bolt on 95 and newer (although the dish of the late model wheel needs to be more or the turn signal stalk will hit the wheel when you use the high beam). I use 98+ donors and the old wheels fit them.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:42 PM   #11
Russell Ashley

Roger, Thanks. My wheel didn't seem to go on when I tried a couple of times a few days ago when I first got the column in. Because of what I paid for it I was being extremely cautious with it. When I read your reply I tried it again with a little more determination and it did go on. I pulled it back off and it went back on easily. I feel a little dumb for asking about this but it's not the first time this truck has made me feel dumb, LOL. I still have to sort out the turn signal wiring and shift linkage to be driving.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:35 PM   #12
iceman4

Ahhh, So now I know why the turn signal lever is so close to the steering wheel. My 57 has a 55-56 wheel on it! Guess I'll be looking for 57-59 wheel. My old girl gives up another secret from her past. Thanks for the info Roger
iceman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:04 PM   #13
Russell Ashley

Roger, Does your horn button work? If so, how did you hook it up? I have an idea how I'm going to make mine work but I would like to see how you did yours if you don't mind.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:16 PM   #14
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Roger, Does your horn button work? If so, how did you hook it up? I have an idea how I'm going to make mine work but I would like to see how you did yours if you don't mind.
Yes it works. Hooks up behind the button itself the same as stock.
Elsewhere I wired the other end of the column wire into the AAW Classic Update harness. The AAW kit comes with a plug fits into the Ididit connection.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:27 AM   #15
joedoh

old columns have the horn contact at 2pm on a clock face, newer columns including reproductions have the contact at 10:30, so you may need to drill a new hole for the contact to pass through. ididit has a youtube video detailing this with an impala wheel.

its important to drill the hole and not just turn the wheel to fit because the turn signal cancelling cams will be out of alignment if you just clock the wheel.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #16
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Yes it works. Hooks up behind the button itself the same as stock.
Elsewhere I wired the other end of the column wire into the AAW Classic Update harness. The AAW kit comes with a plug fits into the Ididit connection.
I used an EZ-21 wiring kit and that must be the difference. I don't have the plug that you are talking about. I can make it work without it but I think I'll
google AAW and see if I can get one. Would be more convenient than doing it like I had planned..
Old 06-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #17
roger55

https://www.google.com/search?q=GM+s...lumn+connector

You will find what you need to make it easier.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:18 PM   #18
Russell Ashley

Quote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=GM+s...lumn+connector

You will find what you need to make it easier.
Thanks Roger. I googled AAW and saw what I need. It looks so simple that I could probably just make one using the wire and spring that came with the column but I'd rather buy it if it doesn't cost too much.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:24 PM   #19
LEEVON

I used a '71 truck non-tilt column in my '50. I shortened it 2" by cutting and welding the shaft and tube, installed new bearings and turn signal cam and painted it. Less than $100 into parts and it works perfect and fits Chevy steering wheels.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #20
Missyblue

This is what I was told to use to adapt my 57 steering wheel to an aftermarket or gm column like I'm using from a 79 van

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ididi...Kit,60535.html

Not sure if that solves a problem
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #21
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyblue View Post
This is what I was told to use to adapt my 57 steering wheel to an aftermarket or gm column like I'm using from a 79 van

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ididi...Kit,60535.html

Not sure if that solves a problem
Thanks for the info. I just need the pin and spring like in that kit but nothing more, so I don't want to pay $32. I have a spring so I'll make something. Apparently an AAW wiring kit has what I need but the AAW tech person couldn't help or didn't know what I was talking about so I'll just make it and be done with it.

One other thing when using an Ididit tilt column with an AD truck. You will need a 3 1/2 inch column drop, a 2 1/2 won't work.

Last edited by Russell Ashley; 06-11-2020 at 04:50 PM.