The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2023, 12:17 PM   #1
daveshilling

Modify 1960 Chevy front guards for 55-59 bumpers

It seems like 1960 guards are cheaper and easier to find than 1959 guards... I don't care about the perfect matching year, I just want cool bumper guards. They look pretty similar... has anyone modified the 1960 bumper guard to fit the 1959 bumper profile?
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 11:50 AM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Modify 1960 Chevy front guards for 55-59 bumpers

sorry dave, exactly what are bumper guards?

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 04:23 AM   #3
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
Some of that clutter that lowrider guys stick on their trucks.

Extra unneeded fru fru because they saw it in Lowrider magazine.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 04:52 AM   #4
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
They were an option for our trucks, seen on the front bumper in the image

I'm surprised you haven't heard of these.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:55 AM   #5
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post

They offered plenty of fru fru back in 1959. I guess you consider all the chrome on a GMC or a Cameo "clutter"?
Old 09-03-2023, 05:15 AM   #6
mr48chev

Truthfully by the time you buy new ones, modify then and have them replated you will have more in them than if you had just bought the correct ones.

I've got a 50 Chevy car license plate surround thatI want to Put on my 49 Plymouth bumper Similar to this one that is on the back of this truck.

URL=https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/w71/mr48chev/Chopped_AD_truck_Desoto_rear_bumper.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds][/URL]

URL=https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/w71/mr48chev/Chopped_AD_truck_Desoto_front_bumper_Spence_Murrey.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds][/URL]

It did have guards on the front.

They may be 49Plymouth guards. This taken at an event today.

Ever since I took a real interest in cars 65+ years ago customizing meant taking extraneous pieces off not adding them just to be adding them. I have a hard dealing all this adding frufru that I took off and tossed in the dumpster 60 years.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:54 AM   #7
dsraven

carfeful there mr48, you'll be hanging fuzzy dice on the rear view soon, haha
I'm keeping the D cups on my 57 GMC bumper, my truck, my frufru.anybody who doesn't like it should look at the truck from a different angle.lol
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 10:04 PM   #8
daveshilling

Quote:
Ever since I took a real interest in cars 65+ years ago customizing meant taking extraneous pieces off not adding them just to be adding them. I have a hard dealing all this adding frufru that I took off and tossed in the dumpster 60 years.
I wanted a practical truck, I'd buy a Toyota!

Seems to me like you're just not the expert I need for this particular request... don't worry, I'll have something real minimal and necessary for ya soon I'm sure (=
Old 09-03-2023, 10:06 PM   #9
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
They offered plenty of fru fru back in 1959. I guess you consider all the chrome on a GMC or a Cameo "clutter"?
A bit busy yes, I was referring to doing the Auto Zone chrome trinket style of adding on and call it customizong.

In the 50's the trucks that got sold new here in the valley didn't have a lot of extras tacked on them as a norm. Good heater, turn signals, a step bumper and work truck mirrors and that was it. I don't remember seeing one with a frost visor on it but you seldom saw those on cars sold new here.

If you saw a truck or car with a lot of added on pieces it had usually been driven into the area from another area. The migrant fruit pickers from the Ozarks tended to have a lot of bolt on stuff on their cars and it seems that guys from that area still like a lot more fru fru than folks from some areas but with the main stream car and truck guys adding a bunch of trinkets didn't start until they saw the bombas in Lowrider Magazine starting in 1976. If you look at old custom truck magazines or rod or custom magazines before 1976 the one thing you see is that there wasn't a bunch of add on chrome pieces on the cars or trucks and most hoods had emblems and hood ornaments removed rather than holes drilled on an put on.

Old 09-05-2023, 03:40 PM   #10
1project2many

daveshilling, I think bumper guards would look great on that truck. Are reproductions for the correct year not an option?

https://www.premierstreetrod.com/det...ds_Chrome.html
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 09:57 AM   #11
my56chevytruck

add it or remove it, it's your damned ride so do what you want to. I left the bumper off of mine and "customized" the front end and someone had a smart comment to make to me. oh well, can't make everyone happy I say. Do your own thing
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 01:31 PM   #12
57tailgater

This looks like a pretty good price to me for a new set - and chrome to boot: https://www.classicparts.com/1955-59...ctinfo/65-212/
Unless you're wanting a used pair.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 04:25 PM   #13
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
daveshilling, I think bumper guards would look great on that truck. Are reproductions for the correct year not an option?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57tailgater View Post
This looks like a pretty good price to me for a new set - and chrome to boot:
Unless you're wanting a used pair.

Yeah My white AND chrome bumper options are used and worn, so a used OEM set in either color would be ideal to complete the "its always been there" look. I also just try to buy used American before I buy new Overseas when I can help it. Buying used is a small effort but it all adds up.

I'm almost to the point that the color of the guards I find some day will decide whether the front end is Chrome or white lol...since I have chrome wheels with whitewall tires, I really cant lose.
Old 09-06-2023, 06:32 PM   #14
Tempest67

I know mine is an AD truck, but I used a grinder to make these Swap Meet bumperettes fit. (I think the guy said they were from a 40's Buick??)
Attached Images

Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 10:30 AM   #15
57tailgater

Quote:
Yeah My white AND chrome bumper options are used and worn, so a used OEM set in either color would be ideal to complete the "its always been there" look. I also just try to buy used American before I buy new Overseas when I can help it. Buying used is a small effort but it all adds up.

I'm almost to the point that the color of the guards I find some day will decide whether the front end is Chrome or white lol...since I have chrome wheels with whitewall tires, I really cant lose.
I understand. Funny on the link I posted they say those won't fit an original bumper without modification but fits an aftermarket one - ha. I am sure if you keep an eye out you'll find a pair as I see them show up every once in a while for sale.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 03:57 PM   #16
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest67 View Post
I know mine is an AD truck, but I used a grinder to make these Swap Meet bumperettes fit. (I think the guy said they were from a 40's Buick??)
That's awesome! Perhaps there's hope for me... I mean metal is metal so if I want them to fit bad enough, they will
Old 09-13-2023, 10:14 PM   #17
Divine 59

Daveshilling- I like the useless factory stuff too. If you have a factory bumper you will need to find the factory part for it to fit right. I was told by a vendor that the repop bumper guards do not fit the factory bumper, they only fit a repop bumper.

I purchased a nice set of factory painted bumper guards for my truck and they fit on my factory painted bumper perfectly.

If you buy a set and they don't fit right make a pattern of the bumper guard and trim the pattern to fit the bumper profile. That may be the best way to grind to fit as others said.

Good Luck in your search.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:16 AM   #18
58CameoAZ

Quote:

Wow! i cant believe it! I stopped reading this forum for probably a few years
now and will say mostly because of statements like yours Mr48. I pop back on
here today and you still are Spewing Bad things out of your mouth still Today!
I cant believe you are still allowed on here to say the the things you do!

You take the FUN OUT of this Forum! You really do!
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 04:29 PM   #19
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58CameoAZ View Post
Wow! i cant believe it! I stopped reading this forum for probably a few years
now and will say mostly because of statements like yours Mr48. I pop back on
here today and you still are Spewing Bad things out of your mouth still Today!
I cant believe you are still allowed on here to say the the things you do!

You take the FUN OUT of this Forum! You really do!
eh, you gotta let the ole grumps be ole grumps. One of the perks of being elderly, you don't have to give a damn anymore!

When he was our age he didn't have a truck, he didnt even have shoes... he wore old brake pads on his feet and he was THANKFUL, not like kids these days. He walked uphill both ways with the straw bales from the feed store on his back... no time for chrome fru fru
Old 09-19-2023, 04:52 PM   #20
58CameoAZ

Quote:
eh, you gotta let the ole grumps be ole grumps. One of the perks of being elderly, you don't have to give a damn anymore!

When he was our age he didn't have a truck, he didnt even have shoes... he wore old brake pads on his feet and he was THANKFUL, not like kids these days. He walked uphill both ways with the straw bales from the feed store on his back... no time for chrome fru fru
Nope! NO SIR Dave! You are letting him off easy by saying that and he keeps getting away with all the Cheap shots that do spew out of his mouth all the time on this Forum for years!, Its Called Respect Dave! Respect for One another And a Respect that if you don't like it you Keep your Damn Mouth Shut!!! Being Old does not give him the Golden ticket to becoming a total A$$hole! Sorry not buying that! WHY you say? Because i am Old Dave! If you are saying he is OLD He should Know Better and be a better person! and you say Kids these days! Well let me tell you something Dave,
I've raised four kids that are still young and they are WAY Better at giving the Moral and Ethical Respect to others then your so called OLE GRUMP!
Old 09-19-2023, 05:01 PM   #21
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58CameoAZ View Post
Nope! NO SIR Dave! You are letting him off easy by saying that and he keeps getting away with all the Cheap shots that do spew out of his mouth all the time on this Forum for years!, Its Called Respect Dave! Respect for One another And a Respect that if you don't like it you Keep your Damn Mouth Shut!!! Being Old does not give him the Golden ticket to becoming a total A$$hole! Sorry not buying that! WHY you say? Because i am Old Dave! If you are saying he is OLD He should Know Better and be a better person! and you say Kids these days! Well let me tell you something Dave,
I've raised four kids that are still young and they are WAY Better at giving the Moral and Ethical Respect to others then your so called OLE GRUMP!
I look at it more like... if we were standing around having a beer, and he was being an old grump about my extra chrome on my truck, then I would tell him at least I know when to stop chopping a roof before it looks like a mistake, and we would just have a good old fashioned ribbing. Then take another sip.

Saying chrome is unnecessary decoration on a vehicle made during the age of chrome is just SUCH a old "military man" type of thing to say that ends up just being funny to me.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:36 PM   #22
leegreen

I have seen the gentleman in question go way, way out his way on here to lookup answers and give good advice to people. And he has been doing it here and on other forums for years.

The problem with the Internet is the written word lacks the body language and tone of voice that lets other people know your not really hating on their bumper just expressing an opinion. That's why we have emojis on the internet now.

So thicken your skin and do your truck your way .

Have a smiley they are free
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 08:14 PM   #23
58CameoAZ

Quote:
I look at it more like... if we were standing around having a beer, and he was being an old grump about my extra chrome on my truck, then I would tell him at least I know when to stop chopping a roof before it looks like a mistake, and we would just have a good old fashioned ribbing. Then take another sip.

Saying chrome is unnecessary decoration on a vehicle made during the age of chrome is just SUCH a old "military man" type of thing to say that ends up just being funny to me.
LOL......hahaha..... I laugh So Damn hard at this!
Good one Dave! You really have put the subliminal message out there that allot of us have probably wanted to tell your "military man" that the Chop Top on the Red truck looks like S**T! without coming right out and telling him and maybe getting away with it without getting repramanded and suspended! Cheers to you Dave! Oh Wait! Let me get my Smiley face on here!
Old 09-20-2023, 09:38 AM   #24
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
I have seen the gentleman in question go way, way out his way on here to lookup answers and give good advice to people. And he has been doing it here and on other forums for years.

The problem with the Internet is the written word lacks the body language and tone of voice that lets other people know your not really hating on their bumper just expressing an opinion. That's why we have emojis on the internet now.

So thicken your skin and do your truck your way .

Have a smiley they are free

This, now let's get back on topic.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:49 AM   #25
_Ogre

speaking of chrome....
i was in awe when i went to a weekly cruise-in at an independent auto parts store last night. a guy drove in with a 1958 buick special, it had more chrome on the front, than all the other cars combined, then again on the tail end. i didn't get a pic but will if he shows up again. totally stock except he put power brakes on it.

1973 Kaw 900 also showed up. fastest production street bike at the time. first of the super bikes.
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote