The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
Kook87

Making a budget for an LS swap in my 69 c10

I want to get the most bang for buck as everyone does but need a little help. I have read a lot of different opinions on this topic so here goes. I want an LS engine swap. Don't really care what direction I go to start with. LS1, LS2, LQ. What I am looking for is hopefully 500rwhp all motor. The least amount of machine work as some truck heads require. I know LS motors are more money up front than the LQ motors but it seems the LQ motors need machining to equal the LS motors. All info appreciated and taken into consideration.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
The Chainsaw

Re: Making a budget for an LS swap in my 69 c10

What are your plans for the truck? Daily driver? Street/Strip? Drag?

There won't be any machining differences with the heads between the LS/LQ motors. Some of the castings were used on both. The only real difference is the iron vs aluminum blocks (75-90lb difference).

The 4.8/5.3 truck engines and the 5.7 LS1 will have a very hard time getting 500rwhp N/A out of. You would be getting into some aftermarket heads and biiiig cam. Would need to up the compression as well. All of them can make 400rwhp pretty easily.

There have been a few 6.0 motors that have made around 500rwhp with stock heads, but again they need a pretty big cam to do it. A decent set of ported stock heads or a set of Trick flow 235's would make it a bit easier.

A 6.2 isn't too hard to get 500rwhp out of with a big cam and stock heads, but it is going to want a loose converter.

A 7.0 isn't hard to get 500rwhp out of at all. Many of them are a mild cam away from that number.

There are a lot of people claiming 500rwhp, but they are total turds at the track.

My car made a measly 408rwhp and went 11.0's @ 3900lbs and went 6.36@111mph in the 1/8th mile (easy 9 second 1/4 mile) with only 570whp.

A true 500rwhp is enough to get a truck like ours well into the 10's.
The Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
americanmusc1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chainsaw View Post

There won't be any machining differences with the heads between the LS/LQ motors. Some of the castings were used on both. The only real difference is the iron vs aluminum blocks (75-90lb difference).

The 4.8/5.3 truck engines and the 5.7 LS1 will have a very hard time getting 500rwhp N/A out of. You would be getting into some aftermarket heads and biiiig cam. Would need to up the compression as well. All of them can make 400rwhp pretty easily.

There have been a few 6.0 motors that have made around 500rwhp with stock heads, but again they need a pretty big cam to do it. A decent set of ported stock heads or a set of Trick flow 235's would make it a bit easier.

A 6.2 isn't too hard to get 500rwhp out of with a big cam and stock heads, but it is going to want a loose converter.

A 7.0 isn't hard to get 500rwhp out of at all. Many of them are a mild cam away from that number.

There are a lot of people claiming 500rwhp, but they are total turds at the track.

My car made a measly 408rwhp and went 11.0's @ 3900lbs and went 6.36@111mph in the 1/8th mile (easy 9 second 1/4 mile) with only 570whp.

I agree. 6.0 or larger displacement will make this a lot easier. L92 heads seem to be the best bang for your buck right now. Those and a fairly large cam and you should have more power than you know what to do with.

Plan on a lot of transmission. I'd pass right over the 4l60e and 700r4. A built 4l80e, th350 or th400 (or a t56 with a great clutch) is in order. Also plan on the 12-bolt blowing up fairly quickly.

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
Kook87

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chainsaw View Post

My truck will be a fun street driven weekend driver. Hit the highway for a 1000 mile cruise if I want. It currently has a built up zz4 in it that dynoed at 313 rwhp. I considered a sbc 406 but have cjanged my mind to something more modern. I'm looking for more of the tire burning mid range torque and just fun to drive. So maybe 500 hp at the crank should be my goal? By my calculation would be somewhere around 405-415 rwhp.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
67 chevelle

bump that number down to 450 , and a camed 6.0 will work for you and run well , that extra 50 horse is gona be expensive and mess with drivability , ls3 l92 heads are a must with full length headers
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
Kook87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 chevelle View Post
bump that number down to 450 , and a camed 6.0 will work for you and run well , that extra 50 horse is gona be expensive and mess with drivability , ls3 l92 heads are a must with full length headers
You talking 450 rwhp or 450 crank?
Old 11-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
Kjun_kid

500rwhp is a tall order unless you decide to do forced induction. If you looking for something fun to drive and reliable get a 5.3 and do some work to it. With the right cam and supercharger you could get close. I just swapped out my stock pistons for some flat tops and a cam and its a nasty sounding little engine. Can't wait to see what it does in my truck.
Kjun_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:33 PM   #8
kehstr

a buddy of mine is putting a 6.0 with ls3 heads and a stock supercharger off of a 6.2 in his jeep, and that think easily does 480-500 hp. Plus the hardest thing to do was find a cheap supercharger. If you plan on getting one of those superchargers you better act fast, because they are going fast, and the price is rising fast. But i would recommend getting a 6.2, and then just put a supercharger on it, if you really want power. GM put those in camaros and catillac cts-v's and got 550+ hp.
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:23 PM   #9
The Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kook87 View Post
My truck will be a fun street driven weekend driver. Hit the highway for a 1000 mile cruise if I want. It currently has a built up zz4 in it that dynoed at 313 rwhp. I considered a sbc 406 but have cjanged my mind to something more modern. I'm looking for more of the tire burning mid range torque and just fun to drive. So maybe 500 hp at the crank should be my goal? By my calculation would be somewhere around 405-415 rwhp.

400rwhp can be done with a cammed 4.8 if you wanted.

There are countless 400-425rwhp 5.3's and LS1's

450rwhp is a cam swap away if you start with a 6.0/6.2

I would disagree with 67Chevelle though when it comes to the heads. The Cathedral port heads flow less than the bigger square port heads, but you mention mid-range torque which is where the Cathedral port heads shine. The high flow numbers come at a cost since the square port heads have a 260cc runner vs the 210cc runner with the bigger cathedral port heads. The two bigger cathedral port heads are the 243 and 317 castings, and the only difference is the chamber size.

You really can't go wrong with any of the ls style motors. Even the little 4.8 with a cam could reach your goal if the rest of the combo is right.

Or put a small turbo or supercharger on any of them with a mild camshaft for some real fun

My combo is a stock 6.0 LQ4 with a camshaft swap and 13.5psi from a single 75mm turbo. Drives like stock and made 627rwhp on 89 octane fuel.
The Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #10
hugger6933

Now you asked for a budget way to make 500 horse at the tire That is an oxymoron. you can have budget or you can have power those two normally don't mix well. I know we would all like to save money but those demands aren't real possible with a N/A motor without high dollar cams and new heads and possibly different pistons for more compression. Also at some point to get the numbers you are chasing drivability although awesome with this generation of motor it has to be compromised at some degree when you add the needed pistons heads cam.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #11
Kook87

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Now you asked for a budget way to make 500 horse at the tire That is an oxymoron. you can have budget or you can have power those two normally don't mix well. I know we would all like to save money but those demands aren't real possible with a N/A motor without high dollar cams and new heads and possibly different pistons for more compression. Also at some point to get the numbers you are chasing drivability although awesome with this generation of motor it has to be compromised at some degree when you add the needed pistons heads cam.
I get what your saying and I know what parts and hp cost. Im just trying to get some ideas from people and set my budget number. It may be 5k, 10k or even 20k but I want a good idea of what I want to spend before diving into it.