The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
Chevypoor

How low should I go?

Been workin' on other stuff for awhile. Got into diesels a bit but the big thing is a started a business and it has sucked up most of spare time. I think last year I drove the 69 about 5 times! 2012 was not much better. Been driving her quite a bit lately and it feels good to get back behind the wheel and open up the back barrels!

Anyway looking to make some changes in the near future and I am giving serious consideration to lowering the ol girl. Not looking for a slam or bags... just a nice static drop.

Currently the front has one coil cut and the rear is stock 69 springs. Tires are 235 70R15 on 15x7 up front and 275 60R15 on 15x8 in the rear.

Considering maybe a ECE 4/6 with 2" spring instead of the 1.5" in the kit. Also considering just going with 2" drop colis in the front and 2" or 3" drop coils in the rear. My concern is my current springs have age and sag. Other than cutting the coils in the 69 never lowered anything before. What do you guys think?

BTW I do like a bit of a rake.

Here is a current pic:
Attached Images

Chevypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: How low should I go?

I have the 4/6 on my project,which is just cab on frame now. I've been thinking I want to keep the stock rake,just lower lately. I may go with 4" all around. Gotta consider the tires in,too. If I use a much taller tire I'll need more rear drop. I'm trying to keep some load capacity w/o c-notching or air bags. It sounds to me like 4/4 would suit you.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Prescott

When lowering a classic car or truck, I think of it like any modification. What ever you do, don't chop it up to the point that it can't be restored later. Most mods, like lowering, are fads, and will some day fall out of favor. Or you may simply change your mind and want to put it back to stock. Always reserve yourself that option. Just my opinion. Nice truck.
Prescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
Chevypoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I have the 4/6 on my project,which is just cab on frame now. I've been thinking I want to keep the stock rake,just lower lately. I may go with 4" all around. Gotta consider the tires in,too. If I use a much taller tire I'll need more rear drop. I'm trying to keep some load capacity w/o c-notching or air bags. It sounds to me like 4/4 would suit you.
Gonna keep the current tire size and rims. She is just a toy, not used for anything other than hauling @#$@! Never thought of doing a neutral drop. Do I need to do anything extra like the panhard bar if I go with a 4.5/4? I also did a homemade disc brake upgrade using spindles from a 79. Could I use drop spindles for 73-88 2wd truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
When lowering a classic car or truck, I think of it like any modification. What ever you do, don't chop it up to the point that it can't be restored later. Most mods, like lowering, are fads, and will some day fall out of favor. Or you may simply change your mind and want to put it back to stock. Always reserve yourself that option. Just my opinion. Nice truck.
Thanks. Took a lot of work to get her were she is. She sat for close to ten years before her resurrection. I am not a resto guy.... I like to make them what I need/ want. There is merit to your point since if life changes then spindles and springs are easy to change!
Chevypoor is offline   Reply With Quote