The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2004, 11:43 AM   #1
GARMCo

Thumbs up Tachometer solutions

On my '73 K5--I tried in vain to repair the tachometer, which had a very jumpy innaccurate needle. It appears that GM never intended these to be worked on. Mine was an entirely closed (riveted shut) system, and when I cracked it all open--there was no way to fix it, no calibration screws, etc. My local speedo/tach shop also gave me the thumbs down on any hope of repair, and the junkyards I searched laughed at me when I asked if they had any tachs on hand. So in desperation--I just completed the conversion of installing the guts from an Autometer model#2697 tachometer (0-5000rpm, 270 degr. needle sweep) behind my factory tach face. Must say it turned out great--finally I have a reliable tachometer again while retaining all the OEM cosmetics. The entire process took about 2-3 hours, and did involve some mild hurdles, but with patience anyone can do this retrofit. I took photos along the way, and can email the process & description to you if anyone is interested. Cheers--Tommy :p
GARMCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
cochino12
It followed me home?

thats pretty cool. You might want to post this on the 73-87 board also, a little more traffic over there.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:08 AM   #3
Grim Reaper

SWEET!
Heck of a Tip.

www.yearone.com in Tucker can get the tach repaired but what you did is probably much cheaper and more reliable.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote