The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
qksilver

200r swapping questions

I have a 78 2wd blazer and i want to put in a 200r I bought yesterday. I have a rebuilt 700r trans but thought it would be cheaper to use this 200r. It is rebuilt never installed stock rebuild with some upgrades.

The questions are not about bolting it in, did that today as far as trans crossmember, bolting to motor and torque convertor.

Driveshaft looks kind of good, what am I looking for as far as the yoke into the trans, about a half inch closer than the 350 I took out. I don't want to bottom out the yoke into the trans. This was one of the reasons I used the 200r so I didn't have to modify or get a new driveshaft.

Plus I have a electronic carb (qjet) off of a 85 camaro that I have the 700r from. It has the cruise control and the tv brackets on the throttle shaft. Will the base plate from that carb (85) work on my 78 qjet carb. The brackets on the 85 are pressed or peened on and I have read horror stories about not having the right bracket angle/length and burning up the trans.

I did some research and found a few different aftermarket brackets for both the cruise and tv cable but don't like the price or the looks. The deal was for me to use what I had so I can use the money saved by using the 200r for other uses on this truck.

i have to rebuild the 78 carb anyway and will bush the base plate for the throttle blades anyway, both base plates have some wear.

The 78 is a fully loaded 2wd and other than the trans will be the only unoriginal upgrade. It has a factory 3:73 posi rear and at highway speed it revs too high. The 200r has a better overdrive ratio and I only paid $100 for it and a couple of hours labor.

I am going to use the lock up convertor switch set up he gave me, vacuum.

thanks,
Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Re: 200r swapping questions

can't you compare the two side by side and answer that question? can't seen what you're seeing. compare the two (and the gaskets) and see if it will work?

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
qksilver

I did, the gaskets are different by not by much, lol. Idle bleed slots a few small things,
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by qksilver View Post
Plus I have a electronic carb (qjet) off of a 85 camaro that I have the 700r from. It has the cruise control and the tv brackets on the throttle shaft. Will the base plate from that carb (85) work on my 78 qjet carb. The brackets on the 85 are pressed or peened on and I have read horror stories about not having the right bracket angle/length and burning up the trans.

i have to rebuild the 78 carb anyway and will bush the base plate for the throttle blades anyway, both base plates have some wear.
You might want to consider swapping just the primary throttle shaft (with it's attached lever/bracket) from the 85 carb into your 78 carb when you have it apart for the rebuild/re-bush. That would eliminate any potential problems you might run into with slight variations between the various passageways in the base plates.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote